+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronda Rousey vs Gina Carano rumored for UFC card on July 4th weekend

Hybrid View

Default Ronda Rousey vs Gina Carano rumored for UFC card on July 4th weekend

It is a valid article but its hearsay from Dave Meltzer, nothing official from the UFC so if the mods feel this should be noobjack then please move

http://www.examiner.com/article/rond...ign-right-next

According to a March 1 post from the Women's MMA Discussion Facebook group, UFC color commentator Joe Rogan says there's a huge announcement coming in the days ahead regarding Ronda Rousey's next fight.

Rogan, a well-respected UFC voice since the late-90s, wouldn't specify exactly what is next in store for Rousey, but he says it's going to be big news that will shake the landscape of women's MMA.

I will tell you this and this is a K-Rock exclusive. Within the next probably week or so, a huge announcement will come about women's fighting and I'll be back in and we'll talk some more.

Rogan went on to say that the announcement would be crazy and a huge shocker, so he made it seem as though the UFC has something wacky in store for the fans.

He hinted that the casual fan knows who might be next for Rousey, but he wouldn't say if her upcoming opponent is currently ranked in the top ten in the world at bantamweight.

The way Rogan said it, it didn't seem like Alexis Davis or Cat Zingano would be next up for Rousey.

One day after Rogan's radio comments came out, Dave Meltzer reported on Observer Radio that the UFC might be looking into a fight between Rousey and former MMA star Gina Carano, for a card on July 4th weekend.

Meltzer said that he believes the big announcement Rogan was speaking about might not be a clash between Rousey and Cris "Cyborg" Santos, but one between the star judoka and the former face of women's MMA.

Santos needs to make 135 pounds a few times, so she might not have the chance to fight Rousey until the end of 2014.

Analysis: The UFC desperately needs a high-selling pay-per-view card for its annual July 4th weekend show, and most of their current champions are expected to be out of commission at that time.

Middleweight champ Chris Weidman is already set for a fight this summer against Lyoto Machida, Robbie Lawler fights Johny Hendricks for the welterweight strap this March, and Jon Jones puts his light heavyweight belt on the line this April.

With that said, Rousey is the only UFC champion who might be available for the July show.

The casual fan would definately be more jazzed about Rousey vs Carano than they would about "Rowdy" vs Davis or Zingano, even if the fight would be less competitive.

Chances are, Rousey would finish Carano in the first round.

However, Carano was out of the game anyways for five years, so she probably doesn't really care at this point about anything other than making a UFC appearance.

It wouldn't really tarnish her legacy to lose to Rousey, since most fans assume she would lose anyways. At the end of the day, this fight should happen because it would sell a lot of pay-per-views and generate a lot of interest in the UFC.

Why do people assume Gina loses to Rhonda?

Lol I said this was more likely to happen than a cyborg fight. Now they will market this like "the return of a wmma legend". Fucking pathetic. This only further proves Dana doesn't want Cyborg anywhere near Rousey.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Lol I said this was more likely to happen than a cyborg fight. Now they will market this like "the return of a wmma legend". Fucking pathetic. This only further proves Dana doesn't want Cyborg anywhere near Rousey.
    Wouldn't want a cheater fighting for the title anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Really??? Because they were just gonna have Vitor fight for the belt before he pulled out because he couldn't cheat.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Yea, because that never happens in the ufc...

Gee what a surprise.

If Gina got a fight against Rousey, that would make the women's division a complete joke. Anyone less than Zingano or Davis would be a crime. Oh well, another PPV I won't buy.

This is seriously ( to me) coming out of the pages of WWE.

The Past vs The Future

What next Jim Ross will be announcing.

I agree. Nobody less than Cat or Davis. If Carano comes back it should be like every other person. Make them fight somebody first then fight for the title. Mind you they did the same thing for Randy I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Thamob View Post
    This is seriously ( to me) coming out of the pages of WWE.

The Past vs The Future

What next Jim Ross will be announcing.

I agree. Nobody less than Cat or Davis. If Carano comes back it should be like every other person. Make them fight somebody first then fight for the title. Mind you they did the same thing for Randy I guess.

I know you weren't meaning to compare her and Randy in any way, but still.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information