+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronda Rousey vs Gina Carano rumored for UFC card on July 4th weekend

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Pasha, for the record, you didn't pass anything. Howie said we had to let you in, you're a token.

As soon as we get another Eastern European who can mangle English, you're out!

rh
    Come on dude, we all know that you did not pass anything either.
    I don't know why you were still accepted, but I hope that all those rumors about you and Howie that night are not true.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Come on dude, we all know that you did not pass anything either.
    I don't know why you were still accepted, but I hope that all those rumors about you and Howie that night are not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Dana White on Gina Carano: The UFC would give her a fight
    “Guys, I have no idea,” he told MMAjunkie on Friday following UFC Fight Night 37′s weigh-ins. “I have literally avoided every conversation about this since Joe Rogan went on the radio show and speculation was Gina Carano.”

White said he’s been deluged by reporters since Rogan indicated this week that big news is on the horizon for Rousey, who is currently on vacation in Costa Rica. He sarcastically thanked the UFC commentator for the pleasure.

“[Rogan] blew my whole week with that interview,” White snickered, adding “there’s nothing done as far as her next opponent.”

As to how Rogan could have led fans and pundits to speculate on Carano, a former Strikeforce star who retired to pursue a career in movies, White indicated there was some truth to the statement that a newsworthy event is imminent. But he shot down the idea that Carano’s return is around the corner.

“Joe doesn’t just go out and start making s–t up, but he never said Gina Carano was coming to the UFC,” White said. “He never said that.”
    “Cat Zingano has gone kind of radio silent on me,” he said. “She’s been through a lot of stuff, so I don’t know where she’s at or what she’s thinking. So no big announcements yet.”

When rumors started flying about Carano, White claimed he wasn’t even aware of the fighter’s contractual status when asked about the fight and had to go to the UFC’s legal department to clarify her position. He said she has four fights remaining on her Strikeforce contract, which was assigned to the UFC when it purchased the now-defunct promotion. Carano would, however, be required to fight in the octagon if she decided to come out of retirement.

“When you go on a hiatus, whether you’re injured or semi-retired, you’re still under contract,” he said. “If you come back, you’re still under contract with us. So she is under contract with us, but I have no plans right now.”

With that said, the door is certainly open for the former “face of women’s MMA.”

“If she wanted to fight in the UFC, of course,” White said. “If Gina Carano wanted to fight in the UFC, we would definitely do it.”

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post

I was just busting your balls. But if someone cheated why can't they be called a cheater?
    This, and not THIS to start another shit show like the last thread - this is 100% serious. No hitler, no bullshit.

September 27, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    All women look good in their undies.
    Rosie Odonald says hi
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Rosie Odonald says hi
    Read my post again, I said Women.

I was just busting your balls. But if someone cheated why can't they be called a cheater?
    To be 100% honest, I feel like I'm responding to troll-bait here. But I've never thought you were particularly bright, so I'll try to break it down for you here.

A) Vitor tested hot in 2006, when testing wasn't as common or sophisticated as it is now.
    B) While many fighters have an excuse as to what happened to warrant a failed test, not many of them have a documented injury and one of the few US accredited physicians come forward to explain that the treatment they prescribed would cause a failed test.

This alone brings his failed test into doubt. Certainly, it could have been that he cheated. But that is opinion, as opposed to something that is incontrovertibly proved.

With a fighter like Barnett, there isn't any dispute. He juiced. He made no effort to deny it, and he's a cheater.
    With a fighter like Belfort, there are questions. And they are questions nobody on this board is qualified to answer. EDIT: I stand corrected. Nobody is qualified to answer with the current level of information available to the public.

I'm not saying he never cheated. I'm just as unqualified as anyone else on the subject.

But at least I'm aware that I'm not an authority, and nobody else is, either.

But for the sake of argument, let's look at Vitor's career, from a variety of perspectives. Vitor's career can be broken up into three segments: the early "OG" Vitor, who was naturally talented, and would fight anyone, anywhere. He'd win against guys who were bigger and more technical than him; the middle, where he pretty much sucked, and the late, successful period. Renaissance? Juice?

Early
    Early on, Vitor was a prodigy. Blistering handspeed, a shark-like sentiment for weakness, a willingness to fight anyone, anywhere, any weight.

Question: Was he juicing at this point? He has talent, undeniably, but was he hedging his bets?
    Answer: Nobody on this board knows.

But in any debate, beyond the conjecture and opinion, there are facts. These facts remain constant: in this part of his career, Vitor went 12 and 3, racking up losses to Couture [at HW] Sakuraba [at his OG peak] and Liddell [at the start of his peak]. It should be noted that Vitor gave up size to both Couture and Liddell.

Middle
    In 2004, Vitor overcame both experience and size to upset Randy Couture by a cut for the UFC LHW title. Even though he won by a cut--generally a sign of a weak win--it still marks the pinnacle of Belfort's career to this date.

At the time of the fight, his sister Priscila had been missing for about two weeks. There were no ransom demands--not any word at all, actually--so at the time of the Couture fight, there would have been concern, but not the type of concern that would put snakes in anyone's brain. But as the weeks turned into months and the months turned into years, the loss of his sister would grow to be a defining concern in Vitor's life--one that is wildly overlooked in the current trend of hack MMA journalism.

For the next three years, there was no word on what happened to Priscila. Brazil is a...difficult...place to grow up in. The dichotomy between the monied and the poor classes is more profound than it is in the first world, and kidnappings, extortion and violent murder are more commonplace than they are in the United States. But nobody had claimed responsibility for Priscila's absence. Anyone who has had a loved one simply disappear one day understands how cruel, how consuming hope can be. Logic tells the mind one thing, but the heart tells it another. There is, to say the least, conflict.

So again, one has to determine which way they'll interpret Vitor's career.

On the one hand, you could simply dismiss the concerns with his sister, and assume Vitor had been juicing all along, and it finally started to catch up to him. That's certainly a potentially valid option. But it's an assumption, nonetheless.

On the other hand, you could simply assume that Vitor's turmoil at the unexplained loss of his sister led to a lack of focus and an emotional weakness that led him to break easily.

But that's an assumption too.

The only real facts we have is that during the period where nothing was known about his sister's disappearance, Vitor won just two fights while losing 5, racking up losses to Couture, Ortiz, Overeem [twice] and Dan Henderson. Once again, Vitor gave up a size/length advantage to each of his foes, save Dan Henderson.

Late
    In 2007, a drug addict named Elaine Paiva was arrested, and in the course of the investigation, revealed that she was peripherally involved with the kidnap and murder of Priscila Belfort. Even more tragically, the murder was a case of mistaken identity, with Priscila not the actual target of the kidnapping. When the error was discovered, the kidnappers felt it easier to simply murder her and dispose of the body, rather than risk a loose end. She was collateral damage in the violence in a developing nation.

But the revelation, horrible though it might be, brought resolution to the mystery. Finally, Vitor had answers, even if they were the ones he feared most.

And sometimes, in facing one's absolute worst fears, an individual can be transformed.

[Again, this categorization of his emotional response is all assumption and conjecture, not fact. I don't know Vitor. But I dare anyone on the board to try to disprove it.]

From this point of resolution, Vitor has gone 10 and 2, losing only to Anderson Silva and Jon Jones--once again, his opponents boasted significant size advantages in their win--in Jones' case, a ludicrous size advantage. Of those 10 wins, Belfort is boasting 9 finishes, progressing from a dangerous boxer with blistering handspeed to a more complete fighter, incorporating a variety of both kicks and submission work in his later efforts.

I'll confess at this point, I don't know when Vitor went on TRT.

Again, we're faced with a crossroads. How do you interpret the data? You've got a fighter who is getting discernibly better in his mid-thirties, and he's leaning out fat, building muscle mass and looking more cut with every appearance. For the last three fights--a period that coincides with an increase in the vigilance in testing for PEDs--he's only fighting in Brazil, a country where he's going to maximize profits for zuffa, but one which has less-than stellar testing facilities.

One the one hand, you can convince yourself he's abusing TRT. He's been cagey about use from the beginning. Reluctant to admit that he's even a TUE holder. There's that "lookit how cut he is" factor, because everyone who is a PED abuser is ripped to shreds, right? It's like, visual proof and stuff.

Look at Josh Barnett and tell me that being cut defines a fighter. Look at Georges, or Jones, or Phil Davis...are they positively juicing because they're shredded?

On the other hand, you might try to convince yourself that you have a fighter who has been gifted since birth, who is approaching 20 years in the industry, competing at the highest level. He's finally getting paid at the point where he can afford the best diet, the best S&C and specialty coaches, the best facilities. He's at a point where he can finally put the snakes in his head from Priscila to rest. If he's showing improvement, it could be a natural progression...he's bright enough to understand this is his absolute last chance to grab the brass ring, and he's had 6 years to build up to this point.

In short. I don't know.

What I do know is that you don't know, either

All the sackara's and the bonesknows in the world don't know a damn thing. They suspect.

And I'm cool with suspecting, as long as it's voiced as suspicion, and not as an absolute certainty.

As I've tried to illustrate, suspicion doesn't equate to definitive statements. Me? I'd be willing to bet that both GSP and Hendricks have juiced in their career. But I don't go out of my way to definitively describe them as cheaters. I'd be even more money that lesnar has juiced. I know people who claim have trained with him who swear to it. But hearsay is bullshit.

I've been convinced that AO was a juicer since 2007. But when I criticize him, I focus more on his skillset, rather than my suspicions. I don't go out of my way to definitively call him a cheater in every thread his name appears--even though is test was faaaar more damning than Vitor's.

One of the reason's is class. I'm an asshole, certainly, but I'm not a douche.
    The other is pragmatic. I don't own the board, I just administer to it. And we've [I've] had lawyers sicced on us for [rightfully] saying Kid Nate couldn't write his way out of a wet paper bag and that Bloody Elbow sucks. They're not even fighters. The bulk fo their income doesn't directly correlate to their PR. But fighter's income does. I do not want more drama brought to the board because some interweb asshole has a hard-on for a particular fighter.

Fighter bashing is a weird little entity. For everyone who makes a vaguely inflammatory argument, there are 10 more assholes on the internet who are going to see that as a sign-post of the frontier, and are going to look to surpass it. And whenever some hapless admin calls them out, they're going to whine about the initial comment, and pretend it sets a precedent. That's just one of the awesome degrees of suck that admins have to routinely deal with.

To sum it up?

You don't know shit. I don't know shit.

So don't pretend you do.

Don't type like an asshole, and you won't be treated like an asshole.

Simple, really.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 03-08-2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Fixed the part where I was incorrect, tweaked some grammar
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    To be 100% honest, I feel like I'm responding to troll-bait here. But I've never thought you were particularly bright, so I'll try to break it down for you here.

A) Vitor tested hot in 2006, when testing wasn't as common or sophisticated as it is now.
    B) While many fighters have an excuse as to what happened to warrant a failed test, not many of them have a documented injury and one of the few US accredited physicians come forward to explain that the treatment they prescribed would cause a failed test.

This alone brings his failed test into doubt. Certainly, it could have been that he cheated. But that is opinion, as opposed to something that is incontrovertibly proved.

With a fighter like Barnett, there isn't any dispute. He juiced. He made no effort to deny it, and he's a cheater.
    With a fighter like Belfort, there are questions. And they are questions nobody on this board is qualified to answer.

I'm not saying he never cheated. I'm just as unqualified as anyone else on the subject.

But at least I'm aware that I'm not an authority, and nobody else is, either.

Fast forward to his performance over the last few years.

Early
    Vitor's career can be broken up into three segments: the early "OG" Vitor, who was naturally talented, and would fight anyone, anywhere. He'd win against guys who were bigger and more technical than him.

Question: Was he juicing at this point? He has talent, undeniably, but was he hedging his bets?
    Answer: Nobody on this board knows.

But in any debate, beyond the conjecture and opinion, there are facts. These facts remain constant: in this part of his career, Vitor went 12 and 3, racking up losses to Couture [at HW] Sakuraba [at his OG peak] and Liddell [at the start of his peak]. It should be noted that Vitor gave up size to both Couture and Liddell.

Middle
    In 2004, Vitor overcame both experience and size to upset Randy Couture by a cut for the UFC LHW title. Even though he won by a cut--generally a sign of a weak win--it still marks the pinnacle of Belfort's career to this date.

At the time of the fight, his sister Priscila had been missing for about two weeks. There were no ransom demands--not any word at all, actually--so at the time of the Couture fight, there would have been concern, but not the type of concern that would put snakes in anyone's brain. But as the weeks turned into months and the months turned into years, the loss of his sister would grow to be a defining concern in Vitor's life--one that is wildly overlooked in the current trend of hack MMA journalism.

For the next three years, there was no word on what happened to Priscila. Brazil is a...difficult...place to grow up in. The dichotomy between the monied and the poor classes is more profound than it is in the first world, and kidnappings, extortion and violent murder are more commonplace than they are in the United States. But nobody had claimed responsibility for Priscila's absence. Anyone who has had a loved one simply disappear one day understands how cruel, how consuming hope can be. Logic tells the mind one thing, but the heart tells it another. There is, to say the least, conflict.

So again, one has to determine which way they'll interpret Vitor's career.

On the one hand, you could simply dismiss the concerns with his sister, and assume Vitor had been juicing all along, and it finally started to catch up to him. That's certainly a potentially valid option. But it's an assumption, nonetheless.

On the other hand, you could simply assume that Vitor's turmoil at the unexplained loss of his sister led to a lack of focus and an emotional weakness that led him to break easily.

But that's an assumption too.

The only real facts we have is that during the period where nothing was known about his sister's disappearance, Vitor won just two fights while losing 5, racking up losses to Couture, Ortiz, Overeem [twice] and Dan Henderson. Once again, Vitor gave up a size/length advantage to each of his foes, save Dan Henderson.

Late
    In 2007, a drug addict named Elaine Paiva was arrested, and in the course of the investigation, revealed that she was peripherally involved with the kidnap and murder of Priscila Belfort. Even more tragically, the murder was a case of mistaken identity, with Priscila not the actual target of the kidnapping. When the error was discovered, the kidnappers felt it easier to simply murder her and dispose of the body, rather than risk a loose end. She was collateral damage in the violence in a developing nation.

But the revelation, horrible though it might be, brought resolution to the mystery. Finally, Vitor had answers, even if they were the ones he feared most.

And sometimes, in facing one's absolute worst fears, an individual can be transformed.

[Again, this categorization of his emotional response is all assumption and conjecture, not fact. I don't know Vitor. But I dare anyone on the board to try to disprove it.]

From this point of resolution, Vitor has gone 10 and 2, losing only to Anderson Silva and Jon Jones--once again, his opponents boasted significant size advantages in their win--in Jones' case, a ludicrous size advantage. Of those 10 wins, Belfort is boasting 9 finishes, progressing from a dangerous boxer with blistering handspeed to a more complete fighter, incorporating a variety of both kicks and submission work in his later efforts.

I'll confess at this point, I don't know when Vitor went on TRT.

Again, we're faced with a crossroads. How do you interpret the data? You've got a fighter who is getting discernibly better in his mid-thirties, and he's leaning out fat, building muscle mass and looking more cut with every appearance. For the last three fights--a period that coincides with an increase in the vigilance in testing for PEDs--he's only fighting in Brazil, a country where he's going to maximize profits for zuffa, but one which has less-than stellar testing facilities.

One the one hand, you can convince yourself he's abusing TRT. He's been cagey about use from the beginning. Reluctant to admit that he's even a TUE holder. There's that "lookit how cut he is" factor, because everyone who is a PED abuser is ripped to shreds, right? It's like, visual proof.

On the other hand, you might try to convince yourself that you have a fighter who has been gifted since birth, who is approaching 20 years in the industry, competing at the highest level. He's finally getting paid at the point where he can afford the best diet, the best S&C and specialty coaches, the best facilities. He's at a point where he can finally put the snakes in his head from Priscila to rest. If he's showing improvement, it could be a natural progression...he's bright enough to understand this is his absolute last chance to grab the brass ring, and he's had 6 years to build up to this point.

In short. I don't know.

What I do know is that you don't know, either

All the sackara's and the bonesknows in the world don't know a damn thing. They suspect.

And I'm cool with suspecting, as long as it's voiced as suspicion, and not as an absolute certainty.

As I've tried to illustrate, suspicion doesn't equate to definitive statements. Me? I'd be willing to bet that both GSP and Hendricks have juiced in their career. But I don't go out of my way to definitively describe them as cheaters. I'd be even more money that lesnar has juiced. I know people who claim have trained with him who swear to it. But hearsay is bullshit.

I've been convinced that AO was a juicer since 2007. But when I criticize him, I focus more on his skillset, rather than my suspicions. I don't go out of my way to definitively call him a cheater in every thread his name appears--even though is test was faaaar more damning than Vitor's.

One of the reason's is class. I'm an asshole, certainly, but I'm not a douche.
    The other is pragmatic. I don't own the board, I just administer to it. And we've [I've] had lawyers sicced on us for [rightfully] saying Kid Nate couldn't write his way out of a wet paper bag and that Bloody Elbow sucks. They're not even fighters. The bulk fo their income doesn't directly correlate to their PR. But fighter's income does. I do not want more drama brought to the board because some interweb asshole has a hard-on for a particular fighter.

Fighter bashing is a weird little entity. For everyone who makes a vaguely inflammatory argument, there are 10 more assholes on the internet who are going to see that as a sign-post of the frontier, and are going to look to surpass it. And whenever some hapless admin calls them out, they're going to whine about the initial comment, and pretend it sets a precedent. That's just one of the awesome degrees of suck that admins have to routinely deal with.

To sum it up?

You don't know shit. I don't know shit.

So don't pretend you do.

Don't be an asshole, and you won't be treated like an asshole.

rh
    You mad bro? WTf did I ever do to you?

You mad bro? WTf did I ever do to you?
    Highly intellectual retort!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Highly intellectual retort!
    Since when do we have to be intellectuals on a message board about sport? I feel like myself and most of the posters here that aren't pretentious douche bags don't give a shit about proving our intellect and just discuss sports. In all honesty I'm probably a lot smarter than you are but that has no impact on MMA discussion.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 03-08-2014 at 01:21 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information