Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronda Rousey vs Gina Carano rumored for UFC card on July 4th weekend

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Kimbo actually even won. That was a disgrace. McCorkle was another gimmick guy they brought in but no one was a stupider novelty act fight than cotoure vs toney. That shit was retarded he won with a low single hahahahah.
    James slipped more on that pick than randy actually got a hold of. I know in the circumstances randy would have gotten it regardless but if you watch closely james sliped

I dont think Carano is coming back but if this speculation is true than I welcome it. I would love to see Carano doing anything including fighting Rousey at 135 for a title and basically beating Rousey at her own game and looking hotter while doing it. Carano did pretty well against Cyborg you know that cheater that wasn't content with her raw talent. Zingano's camp said she could come back to training in june-july but maybe something changed or it wasn't going to be enough time to prep for Rousey. Meanwhile Cyborg has said her goal is to get down to 135 by December as in the end of the year so all this Dana protecting Rousey talk is bogus. Rhonda is a lot of things i don't think she is the type to fear anybody. Holly Holm is most likely to have been signed by the UFC. She is exactly the type of female fighter Rogan would be excited to see taking on Rousey.

3. Default

What weight will this fight take place at?

I think I remember Gina struggling to make weight, and I thought they made the 145 lbs weight class specifically for her in Strikeforce, because she couldn't really make 135 anymore.

So unless Gina has lost weight/muscle mass, I think this will have to be a catch-weight fight. And if they have a catch-weight fight, all those "you gotta come down to the Champion's weight" excuses they gave Cyborg will seem even more suspicious/cowardly.
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    What weight will this fight take place at?

I think I remember Gina struggling to make weight, and I thought they made the 145 lbs weight class specifically for her in Strikeforce, because she couldn't really make 135 anymore.

So unless Gina has lost weight/muscle mass, I think this will have to be a catch-weight fight. And if they have a catch-weight fight, all those "you gotta come down to the Champion's weight" excuses they gave Cyborg will seem even more suspicious/cowardly.
    I'd thought of that, but how much were you hearing about Mike Dolce in 2008? His first book didn't come out till something like 2011 or 12.

I really, really, really despise weight cuts. I can't clarify that enough...but that being said, Dolce has done a lot to revolutionize the practice. I don't doubt that Gina--or Cyborg--can make the weight if the incentive is there.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I think they use Carano/Rousey PPV as the platform to debut Cyborg in a co-main/main card attraction, jobbing out say Jessica Eye, giving Cyborg some major UFC exposure and then, provided she wins and makes the cut down to 135, they then take aim at Rousey/Cyborg.

With regard to Carano making the cut down, I don't think Rousey would have too much problem taking THAT BOUT at a CW, because it'd be a money fight and more about building interest in the division and getting mainstream attention than about legitimate athletics, since Carano hasn't fought in ages and her only legit challenger will be coming off major knee surgeries AND the suicide of her estranged husband.

ZUFFA and Rousey want to make money and that means getting on Kimmel and Fallon and ESPN etc and Gina Carano would help sell that card. Once the audience has paid to watch that event, hype Cyborg up on the same event and the casual/mainstream fan will scream for the next fight to be Rousey/Cyborg.

I agree with Meltzer's "Two FOX fights for Cyborg" before getting a title fight, so to maximize her exposure and drum up the most interest possible for a showdown with Rousey, but I don't see them being patient enough to hold off on booking Rousey only twice between now and Feb 2015(which is what I'd do, unless they have another safe fight for Rousey to take around October and that's really only Davis or Zigano unless they want to bring in Coenen, who I think still has heat because of the Golden Glory affiliation?

If they have Cyborg fight twice to drum up interest, how do you think they spin the marketing?

Ordinarily, they'd play the good girl/bad girl angle, and that would fly, because Cyborg has tattoos and a hot test on her resume. But Ronda has come off as such an entitled, insufferable ass thus far--not just on that horrible reality show, but in interviews and her social media--that doesn't work.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    If they have Cyborg fight twice to drum up interest, how do you think they spin the marketing?

Ordinarily, they'd play the good girl/bad girl angle, and that would fly, because Cyborg has tattoos and a hot test on her resume. But Ronda has come off as such an entitled, insufferable ass thus far--not just on that horrible reality show, but in interviews and her social media--that doesn't work.

rh
    I'm going to borrow heavily from classic pro wrestling booking, but I'm speaking specifically on how to SELL THE FIGHT, not whether it's right or wrong or good for MMA, rather how I'D sell the fight.

First, show Rousey as this untouchable champion, undefeated, "beautiful" and just wiping the floor with all in her path. She's upfront, in your face and arrogant and unbeaten. She fights Carano, the nice, pretty "girl next-door", talks shit like the heel she plays(and likely is) and just mercs Carano....so who's next? The fans want to pay to see Rousey fight and many want to see her LOSE, so who has a snowball's chance in hell of dethroning her?

On that May card, debut Cyborg, have her just Wanderlei the hell out of somebody- I say Eye (Davis works too but is a little riskier). If Cyborg can make weight, all the people who've ordered to see the PPV for Rousey see this dominant bulldozing killer in Cyborg, and after Rousey beats Carano the fans put two and two together and it's a natural sell.

Do commercials like "Rousey's ALWAYS been the favourite....until now" and then do montages of the swath of destruction Cyborg has cut. As I've said before, it'd be ideal to book Cyborg on two events, Meltzer recommends FOX for at least one and I agree and for my money, if they book Tate/Cyborg and Cyborg just crushes her on say, a FOX card in October, there's just so much hype about this female fighter who can obliterate people, that I don't believe her tats or masculinity or even hot drug test will matter. They've sold Overeem as this super destroyer after he pissed hot and they approached that situation with good ole KAYFABE....just don't mention it to the viewers and only the hardcores will know, but they'll buy anyways.

Selling point-wise, The BEST vs. The BEAST. Something like, "This ain't gonna be pretty". The mainstream media would eat it up and it'll do major buys. They don't have GSP or Brock and Anderson wasn't moving HUGE numbers as champ, so I think they'll do some big league hype and promotion for this potential matchup. That's why I see Rousey being protected in her next bout, if not Carano, maybe they throw a very raw and out of her depth Zigano for the July card, but I think Carano is the best bet to reel them in. If they want to get two more fights out of Rousey before year's end, I see it being Carano in July, Zigano in Oct/Nov(with the feel-good, comeback over adversity storyline for Cat) and then Cyborg/Rousey on Super Saturday PPV. Hell....keep Carano around, pay her a ton and make Cyborg's second UFC fight one on FOX as Cyborg/Carano II.

At this point, it's unfortunately not about rankings or skillets with the current 135 women's division, rather the "Rousey Show" and who'll' draw the most buy rates with her.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

rh
    fighter bashing?
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Dana White doesn't dismiss Ronda Rousey vs. Gina Carano rumor
    According to a Wednesday report from Ariel Helwani on UFC Tonight, UFC President Dana White did not refute Rogan's claim, but shot down the idea that an announcement regarding Rousey's next fight would be made this week.

As for the possibility of Rousey vs. Carano, White added simply, "Where did that come from!? LOL."

Are we really on page 3 of a Ronda & Gina thread and no pics have been posted?

If TBear was not busy off saving the world somewhere, I am sure he would be handing out Hulk Smashes like no tomorrow!

And to brighten up the thread:

Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 03-05-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Dana White doesn't dismiss Ronda Rousey vs. Gina Carano rumor

Are we really on page 3 of a Ronda & Gina thread and no pics have been posted?

If TBear was not busy off saving the world somewhere, I am sure he would be handing out Hulk Smashes like no tomorrow!

And to brighten up the thread:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Dana White's new UFC approved MMA gear will look like for the women's division. Lingerie and baby oil and I'll pay $50 to watch on PPV.

Thread Information