Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alvarez: 'Phony' Melendez signing with UFC was another excuse to duck Bellator champ

Default Alvarez: 'Phony' Melendez signing with UFC was another excuse to duck Bellator champ

Alvarez: 'Phony' Melendez signing with UFC was another excuse to duck Bellator champ
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/3/11/54...ator-fight-mma
    In fact, Alvarez feels Melendez will always find a reason to duck him now and forever.

His words (via MMA Fighting):

"He didn't want come here. Gilbert doesn't want to come anywhere where I'm at. Gilbert don't ever want to sign with a company where I am. Wherever Gilbert goes, he wants to be the top dog, which is the same reason he's avoided me and will for years to come. Gilbert had the opportunity in the Dream tournament, he didn't. He had the opportunity to sign with Bellator, and go into a Bellator tournament, he didn't. And now he had the opportunity to come to Bellator where I am. He doesn't want to come where I am. He's a phony. It's a facade, it's a mask, he says he wants to fight me, he doesn't want to fight me. He says he wants to fight me when I make headlines. That's the only time, so he can get some attention. Other than that, Gilbert Melendez does not want to fight me. He knows its a bad fight for him, a bad night for him, that's the real truth with that."

Lol yeah I'm sure that's what it is.

Scared of Alvarez but not afraid of Benson/Pettis/anybody else in the UFC...right.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Lol yeah I'm sure that's what it is.

Scared of Alvarez but not afraid of Benson/Pettis/anybody else in the UFC...right.
    alvarez is better than everyone named above minus pettis.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    That's all speculation, at least Gilbert gets the opportunity to see where he's at in the landscape. Alvarez needs to be mad at himself for his situation, not making ridiculous assertions towards someone making the obvious choice for their career.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Well hopefully we get a chance to find out... I'd certainly like to see him fight Henderson among others and don't think Alvarez is a lock for a win in that one

Agree to disagree.

I think there are a few LW's who could give Alvarez a tough fight and even beat him.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Are we really going to overrate Bellator champs now? I like Eddie as much as anyone, and I'd love to see him in the UFC, along with Chandler...but to state he's flat out better Bendo is crazy. The entire top 8 of the lightweight division are tough fights for Eddie, save for maybe Cerrone. UFC is just another beast than what Eddie's faced in DREAM and Bellator.

If this fight ever happens, it'll be in the UFC and Eddie will win. While I don't necessarily think that there are many easy fights for Alvarez in the UFC's 155 division, I do believe he would beat most guys in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Chandler is going to whoop that ass!

Wow listening to some the comments "the UFC is another beast"? This is fighting. No one knows who will win until they get in the cage. The UFC is a brand, not the sport. It has great fighters who may or may not win against other fighters from other orgs. We will never know because the UFC wants the Brand to live for "100 years" according to Lorrenzo Fertitta. That means protecting it against any suggestion that it's not the home of the "best fighters in the world". In the video on the mmanews main page, he even brags about most of the UFC fighters dominating the top 10 rankings. I find rankings to be a joke, how do you rank an entire sport when most of fighters around the world never fight each other? It's dumb. But it works and makes the UFC money, true sports competition is not good for the UFC's bottom line. If a fighter goes over to the UFC and dominates, then they spin it like he was never anywhere else before. It's all about selling an illusion. Personally I'd love to see Bellator open up a "champions tournament" allowing champions from smaller orgs to compete for a chance to fight the Bellator champ. It would be a great opportunity and risk for Bellator and it would greatly give the the edge in "legitimacy" in the sports community.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Thread Information