Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anybody even giving Robbie a chance against Hendricks?

I can see how facing gsp was the pinnacle of most of their careers. Fitch though faded into obscurity 4-5 years later when the ufc were jack asses and cut him. He was in the top 10 for a long time after gsp beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by scallas View Post
    Fitch faded into obscurity.
    Fitch won 5 fights in a row after the GSP loss not sure I'd call that obscurity and many thought he should have been given a rematch.

Fair enough.

I didn't see all 5 of those, but I recall the Alves fight in particular as being tough to watch in terms of Fitch's smothering style. Had he beaten BJ Penn (big size advantage to Fitch), he would have gotten his title shot rematch.

Johny Hendricks agrees with Matt Hughes, but hopes GSP comes back
    “I hope we get him back,” Hendricks told MMAjunkie Radio. “I hope I can get this belt and get a couple fights underneath me, and he comes back. That’s what I’m shooting for.”

Hendricks (15-2 MMA, 10-2 UFC), who on Saturday fights Robbie Lawler (22-9 MMA, 7-3 UFC) for the vacant welterweight belt at UFC 171, partially agreed with an opinion shared by UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes, who was skeptical St-Pierre would return to the cage after his split-decision win over “Big Rigg” at UFC 167.

Hughes said St-Pierre took a “beating” in the Hendricks fight and was bested in every area of their five-round title bout at UFC 167 despite winning on points. He said the 32-year-old fighter had little left to prove in coming back from a self-imposed hiatus, where a rematch with the No. 1 contender might be found.

For Hendricks, the question of whether St-Pierre might give him another chance is simple.

“Would you want to look like that after another fight?” he chuckled. “You can’t take me down, you can’t hurt me on the feet, and here’s the thing – that was my first five-round fight. I’m getting better. I’m getting stronger now that I know how to run my camps. So yeah, I think a little bit has to do with that.”

Hendricks didn’t doubt that St-Pierre’s personal problems contributed to his decision to step away from the sport, but added that he isn’t inside the former champ’s head and can’t be sure what his issues are. St-Pierre has indicated that obsessive-compulsive disorder is to blame, as well as a discontentment with the UFC’s current drug testing policies.

Whatever it is, Hendricks wants a rematch with “Rush.” But he won’t consider his legacy diminished if he doesn’t get the opportunity.

“He’s just a man,” Hendricks said. “I’ve proved enough my last fight, and if he doesn’t come back, I proved enough. If I continue to win and do everything that I’m able to, then it doesn’t matter. Because by that time, hopefully they won’t forget him, but in five years or 10 years, they’ll forget who I was.

“There’s going to be another guy just like me or just like him that dominates the sport. That’s the way I’m looking at it. Hopefully, I can move it my way. He was an amazing champ; he’s done amazing things for the sport. You can’t ever take that away from him, so how do you move people to where they might be [saying] you might be that?”

I'm still coming to terms with the fact that Robbie Lawler could potentially be the UFC Welterweight champion. If someone told me that a year ago I would have burst into laughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Esox Express View Post
    I'm still coming to terms with the fact that Robbie Lawler could potentially be the UFC Welterweight champion. If someone told me that a year ago I would have burst into laughter.
    What fight is that in your sig?
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Hendricks has all the tools and power to win the fight but it only takes that one nuclear bomb from Lawler to end a fight as well, so if Hendricks plays it right, it's his fight to win. Robbie can't take him down, overpower him, or outwrestle him. He has to do his best to keep distance and avoid Hendricks tying him up. If he is unable to do so, Hendricks will control where the fight goes and also has more than enough in his fists to hurt Lawer as we all know.

War Hendricks.
    "They're all dead. They just don't know it yet."

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    What fight is that in your sig?
    Igor Araujo v. Danny Mitchell from Saturday's card

Thread Information