Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Ann Osman shattered your stereotypes yet?

Default Has Ann Osman shattered your stereotypes yet?

http://time.com/12066/muslim-female-...ter-ann-osman/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65D9496215F1A26F5C847952432.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	678
    In the first round of her professional mixed martial arts (MMA) debut, Malaysia’s Ann Osman took close to 30 knees to the mid-section from her opponent, Singapore’s Sherilyn Lim.

“You’ve broken her!” Lim’s trainer could be heard shouting, as Lim leaned against the cage of the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

In the second and third rounds, Osman took more devastating knee and head strikes, but responded with knees of her own along with takedowns and crushing ground and pound. Both fighters were unloading whopping lefts and straight rights as the final bell rang. But after 15 minutes of brawling, Lim’s hand was raised in a split decision victory.

ONE Fight Championship’s Total Domination event, held last October, was a disappointment for Osman, but “I definitely gave my best during the fight,” the Malaysian tells TIME.

And despite her defeat, the bout captured the public’s imagination. On Mar. 14, following immense pressure from both fans and media, ONE FC, the largest MMA promotion in Asia, will host a rematch between Lim and Osman — only this time in Osman’s home country.

“There’s an empowering element to women in Asia to see a strong, confident, fit female competing on a world scale, on a world stage, especially if you’re Muslim or if you’re from a Muslim country like Malaysia,” says ONE FC CEO Victor Cui.

Not many sports give women similar prestige as their male counterparts, but the growing prominence of female UFC stars such as Ronda Rousey, Liz Carmouche and Misha Tate has almost given MMA that distinction. And with the meteoric rise of MMA in Asia, ever more women are taking up the sport, and breaking fresh ground as they do.

“Having a female fight in a Muslim country like Malaysia is going to be a first,” says Cui. “There’s a huge cultural implication.”

While only 10 or so women trained at Yeoh’s fighting camp in Johor Bahru throughout 2013, in the wake of Osman’s October bout, and the hype surrounding the upcoming rematch builds, interest in MMA from female athletes has snowballed. In January alone, he has seen more than 20 women sign up.

According to Cui, it’s emphasizing narratives like Osman’s and playing off historical geopolitical rivalries like the one that exists between Singapore and Malaysia that is essential to MMA sinking deep roots into emerging Asian markets. “It’s Malaysia versus Singapore and those guys have a very, very extremely heated competition,” he says.
    I thought this was a well written article and figured I would share it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1393405725Ann_Osman.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	677  
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

so what are these stereotypes you speak of?

In my opinion people who cling to blanket stereotypes about muslim women dont really know any muslims, like personally. I can't think of any factual broad statements about any group of any 1.2 billion members of the human race, hard to do without getting to know them

Quote Originally Posted by mmawolverine View Post
    so what are these stereotypes you speak of?

In my opinion people who cling to blanket stereotypes about muslim women dont really know any muslims, like personally. I can't think of any factual broad statements about any group of any 1.2 billion members of the human race, hard to do without getting to know them
    except that they're all terrorist.

^ Joke

Wtf dude. They are not all terrorists, just most of them.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

American government is way more terrorist actually.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    He said he was joking. And of course, you're right about that.
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

Sadly... Pasha K is actually correct. But that history lesson is for another time.

In response to the article... it's funny... because the Muslim portion didn't even enter my mind.
    I assumed the stereotype was that women's MMA wasn't as "good" as men's.
    And that the article, with it's description of brutal knees and ground and pound, and these women's ability to persevere and fight on, was illustrating that that belief was false... and that women were every bit as tough and professional as men.

But maybe I missed the point?
    Either way... cool article.

Coming from a Russian, that is pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dirten View Post
    Sadly... Pasha K is actually correct. But that history lesson is for another time.

In response to the article... it's funny... because the Muslim portion didn't even enter my mind.
    I assumed the stereotype was that women's MMA wasn't as "good" as men's.
    And that the article, with it's description of brutal knees and ground and pound, and these women's ability to persevere and fight on, was illustrating that that belief was false... and that women were every bit as tough and professional as men.

But maybe I missed the point?
    Either way... cool article.
    You are mostly right. The muslim part has more to do with the breaking of cultural norms in her country. Lets leave politics in the politics thread.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Words on this thread = your all on the shit list.

Thread Information