Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: ufc fight night 37 discussion

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    Thats the ref's main job is to stop the extra damage. if we get one fighter damaged for life or killed would set the sport back over a decade of growth.
    And poor stoppages aren't bad for the sport?

    The Faber/Barao II stoppage was much for justified than this one, but look at the uproar from then.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX (by way of Lansing, MI)
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    He landed what, 1, maybe 2 shots while on the ground? Jimi wasnt out, he wasnt turtling. In your opinion what would Jimi have to do for it not to have been stopped there? I was fully expecting Alex to win this fight, im just so tired of fights not having a definitive end. Im all for fighter safety, but they know what they're getting into when they step inside the cage and id rather see one shot too many than a fight ended without really knowing who the better fighter is.

    Maybe I'm in the minority here, and thats fine. All I know is ive gone from buying every ppv from around 2005-2011 to now refusing to buy anything because ive become jaded with whats been happening the last 2 or so years.
    Not just in the minority. You're pretty much all by yourself on that one...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Muss View Post
    Great finish he was on queen St, give the.bloke his.rematch Jones is high if.he.thinks baker is more deserving, I just wish they would wear their hats straight or backwards not this ona angle crap
    And why is backwards any better to you than "on an angle"? Sincerely curious.
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,436

    Default

    Gunnar Nelson needs a quality opponent now that he had a warm-up fight after injury.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    with my parents of course
    Posts
    2,653

    Default

    I think for guys like Uriah Hall and Melvin Guillard, being so athletically gifted is too often either a blessing or a curse. In Guillards case he'd lost fights because he rushed in or waited to long, in Hall's case it's because he waits and uses his footwork and head movement too much for defense. Now Melvin has tightened up his defense and holds his hands higher, but he doesn't have a steady offense. He either rushes in or waits to counter. There's no middle speed. He won the first round because Johnson rushed him and paid for it. But the 2nd and 3rd was lost because Johnson made the adjustment of using his jab and body kicks while baiting Guillard to rush in. Guillard has some great leaping body kicks and leg kicks of his own, but he kept those weapons on the shelf today. He also kept his jab on the shelf, and as a result Johnson was able to get off often and even hurt him a few times. I hope Melvin can bounce back and figure out a more balanced offense. He has so many advantages, but he needs to learn how to use them effectively. I know he wants more than just to be a "gatekeeper" but he has to evolve or die. Johnson has evolved. Very disappointing in Melvin's performance.

    I am very impressed with Gus and Luke Barnett. Two long fighters who used their natural gifts to their advantages tonight. Martial Arts is about the expression and execution of the artist. Overall a good night of fights, and FUUUUCK NO I didn't watch it on "fight pass" But I did PASS gas while I drank my beers, if that counts.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

    "I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee


  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CapCee View Post
    Not just in the minority. You're pretty much all by yourself on that one...



    And why is backwards any better to you than "on an angle"? Sincerely curious.
    Just one of those little things that gets to me, to me front or backwards is the only way.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    He landed what, 1, maybe 2 shots while on the ground? Jimi wasnt out, he wasnt turtling. In your opinion what would Jimi have to do for it not to have been stopped there? I was fully expecting Alex to win this fight, im just so tired of fights not having a definitive end. Im all for fighter safety, but they know what they're getting into when they step inside the cage and id rather see one shot too many than a fight ended without really knowing who the better fighter is.
    No, you apparently aren't "all for fighter safety".

    One or two extra shots at this level can mean the difference between walking off and being carted off to a hospital or worse.

    I always say to err on the side of caution. Fighter safety first. I don't care if there are a few early stoppages along the way. It sux. But it happens.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    I always say to err on the side of caution. Fighter safety first. I don't care if there are a few early stoppages along the way. It sux. But it happens.
    These early stoppages are far too frequent; this shows that the refs are not simply erring on the side of caution but instead are not properly digesting the cues in front of them.

    Herb Dean has been performing badly the past few months.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    These early stoppages are far too frequent; this shows that the refs are not simply erring on the side of caution but instead are not properly digesting the cues in front of them.

    Herb Dean has been performing badly the past few months.
    I agree there have been a lot of early stoppages lately, and it is disappointing to watch at the time. But it is much better then there being a rash of very late stoppages with people being seriously injured as a result.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    I agree there have been a lot of early stoppages lately, and it is disappointing to watch at the time. But it is much better then there being a rash of very late stoppages with people being seriously injured as a result.
    Yeah especially since that guy in Africa just died as a result of a late stoppage. Early stoppages piss me off but I don't think Gus vs Manuwa was one of them.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Does anybody have a gif of that awesome cartwheel?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •