Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: White: Gustafsson gets the winner of UFC 172 headliners Jon Jones vs Glover Teixeira

"Why not give the winner of Alexander and [Daniel Cormier] the winner of myself and Glover?? Call me what you want but I can't be the only person who thinks that makes perfect sense. I see DC congratulating Alexander and making comments about waiting his turn now. I wonder if they're afraid to fight each other? People who don't like to think are quick to call me afraid. Think about it, I'm asking for the meanest of the two would you face winner of Phil vs Anthony?
    Because the division needs to go on with the title being on the line. Currently, we have many guys out there deserving of fighting for the title. We can't just wait for the meanest out of everyone to emerge and knock all the contenders out. This would be terrible match-making.

And afraid to fight each other? That makes absolutely no sense. Dana White clearly mentioned that if Gus wins, he would get the title shot. Once Gus won, he called out Jones, who's supposed to be the baddest man in the division. Why the hell would he call out DC who's ranked below him?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I dont get it... Does Jones want some time off? If so, just say so, Jones would be deserving of a slower schedule in 2014. If not, I dont get it.. What would he like to do for the rest of 2014 while he waits around for the Goose DC fight to happen, the winner to recoup, and prep for a title shot?

Also, in one breath he claims DC is not worthy of a top contender spot, in the next he says he thinks DC should fight for the number one contender spot?
    Exactly. I don't understand what Jones is doing with all of this talk. Every comment he makes regarding "undeserving" challengers makes him look bad, his opponent look bad and hurts the promotion of these fights. He calls himself a "business man", but he lacks the understanding of how to promote the business to enhance revenue.

and finally, Jones has to realize that he isn't Joe Silva. Fight the guy who is most deserving at that time. Did you see GSP complaining about Hardy deserving the shot (who at that time was the most deserving guy)?

Here's something I've been thinking about. How hard is the UFC hoping that Bones beats Glover, so they can push the shit out of the EA UFC game? I have a funny feeling that the cover vote was super duper rigged. I mean Gus beating out the likes of Sonnen, and GSP, in a popularity contest, really? I say no way, but even if it wasn't rigged, this has lined up nicely for them to set the fight up near the game release, and use them to push each other.
    Last edited by The Donosaur; 03-09-2014 at 03:17 AM.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

What if all the stars aligned and Tex beats Jones, then Gus, then DC?

Jones just complains about everyone and everything anymore. I think he needs to stay away from twitter and the media for a while.
    I can't wait for DC to get a chance at the title. I think he has the skill set and talent to be champion for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by nezlam1 View Post
    Jones just complains about everyone and everything anymore. I think he needs to stay away from twitter and the media for a while.
    I can't wait for DC to get a chance at the title. I think he has the skill set and talent to be champion for a long time.
    I agree on both accounts. The funny thing is that Jones running his mouth probably at least sped up DC going to 205. He may have did it either way, but his war of words with Bones had to be a factor. That is if you are a believer in that MMA stars can actually dislike each other sometimes, and not everything is planned. If that's true, then Bones may have literally (eventually) talked his way out of his title.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Damn right, thank you! If all the contenders beat each other down, then people who probably should get a shot, won't, and somebody will right place, right time their way into a shot. Being the unquestionable, absolute #1 contender to get a title shot is way overrated. If a guy isn't worthy, then beat them, and move on. If he beats you, then he probably deserved to be there.
    In Jones' defense, he's simply playing the same game Anderson did, when Silva ducked the Henderson rematch.
    But pay attention, sportsfans, because when that shit played out, you had Anderson end up [playing air-guitar instead of actually] fighting Maia instead of facing either of the guys who had earned title shots.
    This kind of nonsense is great for the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by rahdeezy View Post
    What if all the stars aligned and Tex beats Jones, then Gus, then DC?
    Strictly keeping to your theoretical scenario:
    First, Jones would get an instant rematch if he lost the belt,
    Second, Jones fans would have an excuse as to why he lost.
    Third, Tex would have to beat him twice--in your scenario...
    Fourth, Jones fans would have an excuse for the second loss...
    Kind of Fifth...Jones' press for this whole period would vacillate wildly between unintentional hilarity and pathetic/cringeworthy
    Sixth...DC would probably get the next title shot so zuffa could pimp Goose/Jones II
    Seventh...Fedorlie would finally go to the hospital for having an erection that lasted a full year, as Tex beat Jones 2x and then DC...
    Eigth...I dunno...I feel like I jumped the shark on the last one, anyway...

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

In before Bonesknows starts spewing the bullshit...

Jones just wants his competition to weed each other out. That way after he fights one of them (eventually, and assuming he beats Teixeira) he can start to say that the other just lost so they haven't earned the title shot. For a professional fighter, I get the impression that he doesn't really enjoy to fight. I say if he wants to call himself the greatest light heavyweight of all time, he needs to shut the hell up and fight the top guys.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Lol that was quick. I called it in the discussion thread.

He's just mad because he wants to fight all the "cans" as he likes to say. The guy has coasted on his size advantages for a long time. He gets beat up by the first guy his height and will stop at nothing to avoid a rematch lol.

Im convinced that when he changes weight classes or does a "superfight" he'd probably prefer to go to mw.

Jones should stop talking about contenders. It's pointless. He's going to fight Gus again if he beats Tex. It's that simple. And if he finishes Gus, then people will move on and say he's scared of DC because DC would destroy him.... And so the circle of life continues....

Of course he could just be trolling his haters. Knowing exactly what to say to keep them talking about him on message boards and maybe buying his ppvs to see him get beat.......I mean come on? eventually he fights everybody, sonnen and gus were the only two fights that I know of that he turned down. He's not going to win over his critics, so he might as well make sure he gets paid and does everything possible to get high PPV buys. Embrace the hate Jon.
    Last edited by joeodd2; 03-09-2014 at 08:55 AM.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    My thoughts as well. I'm sick of hearing champs talk about who is and who is not deserving. If you are the best, it shouldn't matter who is next.
    Exactly. As Riv pointed out, he just wants want to get a loss so they can't fight for the title for a couple more fights. But you can't just throw out top contenders like that all the time, especially when it's someone so established now like Gus...and Cormier is very close and there are other top guys he can fight. You get paid the big bucks, Jones, so get used to these tough fights...no more guys sliding out of their primes...

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Thread Information