Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: White: Gustafsson gets the winner of UFC 172 headliners Jon Jones vs Glover Teixeira

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    uhhh... Glover, Goose, Cormier, Davis sure as hell seem like 4 bright young stars ready to challenge to the belt to me. And you have the old guard you mentioned, plus former champ Rashard Evans lurking out there. Heck, Ryan Bader is pretty damn talented for a guy struggling to climb up into the Top 10. The 205 lb division has never been as good or as deep as it is right now.
    Glover is 34
    Daniel Cormier is 34
    Rashad Evans is 34

And all have a ton of miles on them.

Young stars indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    i would have been cool with the Goose rematch right after the 1st fight even though a close fight =/= rematch.

What im not cool with is Goose fighting a softly ranked #11 as the #1 contender. DC being in the top 5 of the division with a win over Pat Cummings. People even putting DC's name in the title picture based off Pat Cummings win - sorrry HW record is meaningless at LHW.

sigh...its like i called them fast tracking DC to a title shot after a pat cummings win WEEKS ago.
    Beating top 5-10 HWs is far more impressive than the ilk that Gus and Glover have dispatched unless you are delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    i would have been cool with the Goose rematch right after the 1st fight even though a close fight =/= rematch.

What im not cool with is Goose fighting a softly ranked #11 as the #1 contender. DC being in the top 5 of the division with a win over Pat Cummings. People even putting DC's name in the title picture based off Pat Cummings win - sorrry HW record is meaningless at LHW.

sigh...its like i called them fast tracking DC to a title shot after a pat cummings win WEEKS ago.
    Wait hold up. You were ok with Goose getting an immediate rematch, however because he won a fight against someone not in the top 10 you think that bumps him out of contention???? I know MMA math is never a good thing but damn how the fuck does that work??

My take is Jones won a close fight. No there should not be an immediate rematch. Goose needed to win a fight or 2. He won a fight. Why tie up the next 2 contenders (Goose and DC) and eliminate 1 of them from a potential title fight? Granted DC should probably have another LHW fight while he waits but his list at HW does at least make him a credible fighter. Its not like he took the Cummings fight and dodges a top contender.

I am a HUGE Jon Jones fan. He is one of if not my fav current fighter. But the bottom line is he needs to shut the fuck up and fight. I think he beats Goose and finishes him in a rematch. I honestly think the Sonnen and Vitor fights made him kinda soft. He was fighting 1 Part time LHW and 1 MW and he got lazy. He needs to be pushed if he is truly ever going to be great.

I can deal with someone saying they think Goose needs to beat a guy in the top 10.(I think Goose should get the rematch without another fight) But to say he shouldn't get a rematch after beating a top 11 guy since he didn't get an immediate rematch is just worse than the shit Jones himself is spewing right now.

Nick Diaz has a little message for Jon Jones...
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/3/12/55...ared-homie-mma

Alexander Gustafsson: Jon Jones isn't scared but he knows I'm a bad matchup for him
    "He's a very dangerous opponent. I think he's a good fighter in every aspect -- he's a good striker, good wrestler and he puts everything together and he hits very hard," Gustafsson told FOX Sports about Teixeira. "My prediction is I think Jones will win because I think Glover's a typical opponent for Jones. Jones wants to fight him because it matches up very good style wise."
    Gustafsson has been assured he's getting the next crack at the belt, so when he saw Jones' comments all he could do was smile and enjoy a good chuckle at the champion's expense.

"It was, for me, it didn't make sense at all," Gustafsson said about Jones' Twitter message. "I was more laughing about it."
    "The thing is he knows -- he knows I'm a really bad matchup for him. He knows that," Gustafsson said about Jones. "I don't think Jones is scared or he's trying to run or anything like that. He just knows that I'm a really bad matchup and he knows that we will fight one day. He knows that, but he's trying to avoid it as long as he can."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I have always had a feeling that Jones will get an injury during or sometime after the fight that will keep him out for 6 months or so and Gustafsson will end up fighting Cormier.

Didn't a lot of people here predict that Manuwa was going to win that fight? Can't remember and too lazy to got back and try and find the post.

Edit: Found it, was wrong, only two people picked Manuwa out of 12 or so:

http://www.mmanews.com/forums/showth...s-Manuwa/page3

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    And if he got a rematch against Jones, it should be purely based on that, but that argument had more legs if it was right after fighting Jones. Beating a Manuwa certainly doesn't warrant a title shot, and now having taken that fight sort of dilutes the argument. Glad that it was announced today that he is getting a title shot anyways.....

Jones says Gustafsson is 'delusional' and 'arrogant'

"I respected him a lot more before we fought," Jones said. "I'll tell you what, he has so much arrogance for someone who didn’t win."

Gustafsson has fired some barbs at Jones recently after beating Jimi Manuwa in March to earn the next shot at the belt after Glover Teixeira, who meets Jones at UFC 172 on April 26 in Baltimore. Gustafsson said in an interview with BT Sport that Jones is trying to duck him and told FOX Sports that he is a bad matchup for Jones.

"I find it funny, because Gustafsson lost the fight fair and square," Jones said. "I will admit he won Round 1 and Round 3, but that's it. I won the fight. I've never heard someone chirp so much who lost. I could see if I poked him in the eye and the fight had to be stopped or I caught him with a big punch while he was winning and it was a fluke or something. But it was nothing like that."

STFU Clown!!
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Jones actually has a valid point. I think he genuinely dislikes Gus and is also nervous as to how a rematch would go. Gus has been pretty disrespectful about the decision in all honesty. Not that Jones has been classy either but yeah neither guy is acting maturely.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information