Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: White: Gustafsson gets the winner of UFC 172 headliners Jon Jones vs Glover Teixeira

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Did Jones experience a backlash when he publically stood up for Falon Fox?
    He did.

I forgot about that. It changes my opinion on all of this. To me a fighter's sexuality is irrelevant. The thing with Fox is that formerly being a man gives Fox an advantage in some people's eyes, mine included. My stance on Fox is that if you want to live as a woman, fine, ok, whatever, I'm never going to go up to a transgender person, and say "You're not really the thing you think you are!", but there are lines where niceness ends, and common sense kicks in. Fox is not a woman. Fox has done as much as possible to be as close to being a woman as science will allow, but it's not perfect. If that's how Fox wants to live then nobody should bother Fox about it, unless it is something like this. It is arguable that Fox is close enough to actually being a woman that Fox should be able to fight. I disagree completely, but that's a whole different argument. The point I'm trying to make with all of this is that the Fox thing SHOULD be way more controversial than the gay fighter in the UFC thing, because one is a non-issue in the octagon, and the other (arguably) is. Bones defending Fox, but dodging this, seems weird even to me, unless he wants to avoid a similar situation. I don't view these situations as being similar, but maybe Bones does.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    He did.

I forgot about that. It changes my opinion on all of this. To me a fighter's sexuality is irrelevant. The thing with Fox is that formerly being a man gives Fox an advantage in some people's eyes, mine included. My stance on Fox is that if you want to live as a woman, fine, ok, whatever, I'm never going to go up to a transgender person, and say "You're not really the thing you think you are!", but there are lines where niceness ends, and common sense kicks in. Fox is not a woman. Fox has done as much as possible to be as close to being a woman as science will allow, but it's not perfect. If that's how Fox wants to live then nobody should bother Fox about it, unless it is something like this. It is arguable that Fox is close enough to actually being a woman that Fox should be able to fight. I disagree completely, but that's a whole different argument. The point I'm trying to make with all of this is that the Fox thing SHOULD be way more controversial than the gay fighter in the UFC thing, because one is a non-issue in the octagon, and the other (arguably) is. Bones defending Fox, but dodging this, seems weird even to me, unless he wants to avoid a similar situation. I don't view these situations as being similar, but maybe Bones does.
    I mentioned it more in response to the avoiding people calling him a 'fake Christian' idea... I was not trying to bring in transgendered fighters, more so, if you are a fake Christian for supporting gays, you could also be a fake Christian for supporting transgendered people (not gods original form / intentions yada yada).

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I mentioned it more in response to the avoiding people calling him a 'fake Christian' idea... I was not trying to bring in transgendered fighters, more so, if you are a fake Christian for supporting gays, you could also be a fake Christian for supporting transgendered people (not gods original form / intentions yada yada).
    Ah yeah, he'd probably get similar feedback in the two situations. Maybe he did hear some of that stuff for supporting Fox, and wanted to avoid it this time.

I'm a Christian, and I tread very softly when discussing what makes others Christians, as that is not for me to decide. Even when I have strong feelings about somebody doing something that is so completely out of line with what they claim their faith to be, that it annoys me, I bite my tongue. I'm at least one Christian that won't be calling Bones a fake Christian, either way.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

4. Default

"No comment" is about the smartest thing Jones has ever said with a microphone in front of him.

all of this is a great reason for him to get a really good publicist. One who can work through this stuff before he's caught on the spot.

Jones could be a giant, if he gets out of his own way.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Twitter Mailbag: The mysterious case of Jon Jones' missing cell phone, and more
    @benfowlkesMMA is it more likely that Jones did some drunken instagramming than his stolen phone story?

Stael Sonnen (@StaleSonnen) April 16, 2014
    By all means, let’s discuss what’s likely and what isn’t, since it seems like we may never know the truth about this strange incident. The story from Jon Jones and his management is that he lost his phone, which was presumably picked up by some troublemaker who decided to use it in order to pose as the UFC light heavyweight champ on social media. And what did this malicious impersonator do once he had access to Jones’ accounts, as well as, one assumes, his full list of contacts? He went on Instagram and posted homophobic comments aimed at some Swedish guy who had, coincidentally, recently criticized Jones on Twitter. Near as I can tell, that’s all he did, which would pretty much make him the most subtle or least ambitious “hacker” in history.

If you have access to Jones’ Instagram and you want to make him look like a homophobe, there are so many better ways to do it, not to mention ways that are far more likely to get noticed. But instead you use your access to, what, lash out against a social media critic of the very person you’re supposedly hacking? I can’t say it’s impossible, but it strains belief.

So what did happen? UFC President Dana White implied that the problem was too many people in Jones’ inner circle having access to his social media passwords. I suppose it’s conceivable that some buddy of his thought he was helping the champ out by defending his honor on Instagram with all the tact and dignity of a seventh-grader, but why not just say that if that’s what happened? At least it’d be more believable than this hacker story. Or is it a lost phone story? Or was the phone stolen, all with the brilliant endgame of leaving mean comments on some dude’s Instagram?

I don’t know, but if I were to get all Occam’s razor on it, I would probably have to conclude that the likeliest scenario is one that involves a lapse in judgment by Jones, followed by a lot of enablers helping him avoid responsibility. Either that, or somewhere out there is a hacker who really needs to aim higher.

Lots of screenshots of previous examples of Jones talking shit to trolls online starting to pop up...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Is this what Dana meant by people within Jones's circle having access to his social media passwords? I'm assuming that his friends log in as him and engage in these petty slanging matches on his behalf. Which is pretty sad for his friends, like the one who said "I would say get on my level but we both know that will never happen" which is as pathetic an example of basking in someone else's reflected glory as you will ever see. I wonder if they do this with Jones's blessing?

The alternative is that it was Jones himself trawling social media and leaving these comments. Which is even more pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Is this what Dana meant by people within Jones's circle having access to his social media passwords? I'm assuming that his friends log in as him and engage in these petty slanging matches on his behalf. Which is pretty sad for his friends, like the one who said "I would say get on my level but we both know that will never happen" which is as pathetic an example of basking in someone else's reflected glory as you will ever see. I wonder if they do this with Jones's blessing?

The alternative is that it was Jones himself trawling social media and leaving these comments. Which is even more pathetic.
    If you look at the timeline of the 'hack'.. the 'troll' posted a selfie of Jones, an hour later posted the homophobic slurs against a Swedish fan who had been shit talking him, then blocked the fan, and then an hour later posted a picture of Jones dinner.... All before Jones could change his passwords and get a new phone.

Thread Information