+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: White: Gustafsson gets the winner of UFC 172 headliners Jon Jones vs Glover Teixeira

I already said that a month ago, saying that Jones is going to get Gustafsson to fight Cormier first.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Jones pulls out of that fight or suffers an "injury". You heard it here first

Alexander Gustafsson: Jon Jones 'didn't perform like he used to' at UFC 172
    "He didn't perform like he used to" could be 2014's version of "I'm not impressed by your performance."
    "He was dominating Glover from the beginning, no doubt about it," Gustafsson said. "But, I don't know it seemed like he didn't perform like he used to do. I thought that, I don't know, he did enough to win the fight basically.

"We used to see spectacular things with Jon Jones when he fights. He mixed things up and he did it in this fight too. But he didn't do it like he used to do in his previous fights."

For his part, Jones hasn't wanted to say too much about Gustafsson, whom Jones is expected to rematch in his next fight. At the UFC 172 post-fight press conference, Jones refused to talk about "that kid," and in a FOX Sports interview, he referred to Gustafsson as arrogant.

Gustafsson takes this as a sign he has gotten into Jones' head.

"I think I'm in his head now," Gustafsson said. "I've been learning a lot in my years, it's not just the fight itself, its a lot mentally fighting each other, that's something I learned later days. I realize now it's very important. I think it's all in his head now and he gets irritated just by my name. I think that's good. I'm not a trash talker, that's not my thing. But if someone asks me, I'm going to say what I feel and what I think."

This smacks of kayfabe to me.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

People get injured in training camp all the time, that is hardly a psychic prediction.

If I was Jones, I would request the fight to be in Vegas. They would loose sooo much money in Sweeden, as Americans tend to shun overseas PPVs due to the time difference. Also, fuck fighting in his opponents home country, Jones is champ. MERICA
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

I agree with Gus. I was expecting something reminisant of the Vladdy and Vera fights but it was nothing of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I agree with Gus. I was expecting something reminisant of the Vladdy and Vera fights but it was nothing of the sort.
    Are you really comparing Glover to Vera & the Janitor?
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Yeah, that's not really fair to Vladdy.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Jones wasn't as flashy this time but his offense in the clinch was still slick. I do agree though that goose is in jon's head. He seems real irritated getting asked questions relating to fighting Gustafson. Goose is the only guy to come close to beating him. He's also Jones' next opponent. He's going to be asked questions.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    People get injured in training camp all the time, that is hardly a psychic prediction.

If I was Jones, I would request the fight to be in Vegas. They would loose sooo much money in Sweeden, as Americans tend to shun overseas PPVs due to the time difference. Also, fuck fighting in his opponents home country, Jones is champ. MERICA
    At a media scrum, DW said if they do it in Sweden it would be at the normal North American time. Though his justification was that there's 24 hour day or night around that time in Sweden anyway, which seems like a bizarre justification at best...
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

I wouldn't mind the fight in Sweden but that 4am shit is absurd. And if Jones gets smashed, the fangirl club would come with all excuses they can grasp.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information