Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: White: Gustafsson gets the winner of UFC 172 headliners Jon Jones vs Glover Teixeira

Did chamber's bashing of Jones finally get him inmated? Dude bashes Jones more than anyone else on these boards...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    At a media scrum, DW said if they do it in Sweden it would be at the normal North American time. Though his justification was that there's 24 hour day or night around that time in Sweden anyway, which seems like a bizarre justification at best...
    And the fact that they would be fighting at 4am Swedish time is insane. Call me crazy but i would refuse to defend my belt at 4am in ANY country.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Did chamber's bashing of Jones finally get him inmated? Dude bashes Jones more than anyone else on these boards...
    I won't confirm or deny anything, but I'll point out that I've said for years that the mods are even handed on here.

And the fact that they would be fighting at 4am Swedish time is insane. Call me crazy but i would refuse to defend my belt at 4am in ANY country.
    I have a hard time taking anything dana says seriously. If he told me water was wet, I'd look for a second opinion.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

I have a hard time taking anything dana says seriously. If he told me water was wet, I'd look for a second opinion.

rh
    We couldnt agree more on this. I use to be a huge Dana fan, but over the past year or so that just hasnt been the case.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    We couldnt agree more on this. I use to be a huge Dana fan, but over the past year or so that just hasnt been the case.
    I think that's a progression a lot of fans go through. There are a lot of guys who initially think "he's just like me!" and think he must have the kewlest job in the world, and thus be the kewlest dood ever; but then eventually his bullshit and doubletalk wear them down.

I've been saying that the UFC has outgrown dana since 2007, I think. Right after the Fedor negotiations failed and he made things irreparably worse by going into sordid detail about how he broke up with the crazy Russians, the crazy Russians didn't break up with him. He was crucial in the beginning, but he's been as much of a barrier to success as he's been an enhancement for a loooong time now.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I think that's a progression a lot of fans go through. There are a lot of guys who initially think "he's just like me!" and think he must have the kewlest job in the world, and thus be the kewlest dood ever; but then eventually his bullshit and doubletalk wear them down.

I've been saying that the UFC has outgrown dana since 2007, I think. Right after the Fedor negotiations failed and he made things irreparably worse by going into sordid detail about how he broke up with the crazy Russians, the crazy Russians didn't break up with him. He was crucial in the beginning, but he's been as much of a barrier to success as much as an enhancement for a loooong time now.

rh
    for me personally it has become clearer and clearer that Dana is always and forever will be Dana the Promoter. Its not president Dana White, or good friend Dana White or looking out for his fighters dana white - its Promoter Dana white. That wasnt always clear to me.

It doesnt matter who fighter a is fighting - fighter B will ALWAYS be the toughest of fighter A's career, that vegas is wrong in their odds, etc, etc. I remember hearing dana say last week that 172 is the "most stacked card of all time" and i literally laughed out loud for a solid 10 minutes. I can literally count off the top on my head as many as 10 cards that i thought were "more stacked" than this one was. Hell, outside of the main event and a few under card fights i thought this ppv - on paper - was average at best.

bones fans are probably going to think I'm hating on him, but I'm actually sincere about this:

I think dana is doing jon a disservice by pimping him as p4p the bestest.

I think bones' most concrete and rapid improvement came when he was still hungry, and his drive to improve was more profound. But suddenly, he's LHW champ, he's touted as the LHW GOAT/p4p best and there isn't a strong figure in his life to guide him on what his next step is. I don't think I know any kids who are under 25 who could handle that level of success, that pressure to repeat.

I think jones literally has no ceiling. He's blessed with a ridiculous frame and great athleticism, and with a very good chin. Skills are generally something that can be developed, and he has access to the best teachers in the industry, and the finances to pursue it at the very highest level. But I feel the one thing he lacks the most is guidance, and I don't know that he's seeking it, because he probably feels he's already achieved everything that there is to achieve.

Much like Tyson without Cus, he's a ship without a rudder. I just hope for his sake he doesn't run into the same icebergs Iron Mike did.

But I feel if the p4p concern was actually kept in perspective, Jones would have more incentive to improve, to actually become the fighter that fans know he can be someday. The same things that SimpleJack mentioned as frustrations have been bothering me since the Bonnar fight. And without some type of checks/balance, there isn't any incentive for him to address them.

I do not for a moment think that dana could fill a D'Amato role, he lacks the history, the integrity, the actual life experience. But I feel like he actually adds to the burden that bones must shoulder every time he has contact with the public. His Jeckyll-and-Hyde nonsense "oh, this kid is the best eva" "that bastard wouldn't fight sonnen" send mixed messages to a young, still-developing fighter who is still trying to find his way.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Dont you think GJ gives him guidance?
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

I've been saying that the UFC has outgrown dana since 2007, I think. Right after the Fedor negotiations failed and he made things irreparably worse by going into sordid detail about how he broke up with the crazy Russians, the crazy Russians didn't break up with him. He was crucial in the beginning, but he's been as much of a barrier to success as he's been an enhancement for a loooong time now.

rh
    I agree with that but it was still enjoyable to watch interviews, press conferences, etc. back then even though the UFC had outgrown his antics. However now he is a new type of stupid. If he acted the way he did a few years ago I'd be much happier.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Dont you think GJ gives him guidance?
    I don't know a damn thing about GJ, to be 100% transparent.
    But what I've seen is less than inspirational in that regard.

I think if Jackson was the kind of mentor--and I mean mentor, not coach--that D'Amato was, we'd see more growth in Jones. I think Jackson is comfortable as long as jones has the overwhelming edge to win, and will teach him to exploit that edge. That, coupled with the "Go get some fans" bullshit.

But just think for a moment, if someone was to get bones to marry that crazy unorthodox Afro-Ninja stuff with better fundamentals--his lack of head movement was exposed in the Goose fight, for instance; or learning to gauge distance the way smaller fighters do, instead of holding that long-assed arm out with the fingers extended, opening up a whole new world of potential combinations thrown--think about the fighter that bones could be. He's got all the physical gifts that a fighter could ever ask for, he's to a LOT of the skills. But what he had ALL of them?

He's been with Jackson for how long now? Put it this way: if you had a son, and you were paying a coach to teach him boxing, and he hadn't picked up head movement in 5 years, would you still be writing checks to that coach?

Again, I don't know anything about Jackson, or his team. I want to be 100% clear on that. But from the comfortable, myopic perspective I've got, it seems like Greg is outstanding at taking what fighters have, and teaching them to win with it. But I haven't seen a lot of truly elite athletes that come to him and get transformed into a fighter who is appreciably better in areas where they were lacking. He seems to be a monster at teaching them to compensate, and to keep winning. And that's a viable philosophy. A couple years ago, the StrengthsFinder motif made it's way through the business world: don't focus on your weaknesses, they won't get better. Focus on your strengths, bro!

And it might not be Greg, it might be jon, or I could be 100% off base with my asshole armchair assumptions.

But think for a minute: Cain weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 230-240 most of the time. I've read where bones cuts 20lbs+ to make LHW--that puts him within spitting distance of Cain's weight, if not spot on. If they were to fight tomorrow, jon would boast a double-digit length advantage. But most people think Cain would beat him, to the point where Velasquez would be a heavy favorite. All illustrations of actual p4p aside: take a minute to re-imagine that fight, but with jones actually realizing his full potential. Give bones a bit of Anderson's head movement--not even all of it, but a lot more than he has now. Give Jones the ability to throw better, harder straight boxing combos, to mix them in with his MT and spinning elbow stunts.

If jones actually performed the way he's capable of performing, I can't think of a fighter who could beat him.

And yes, he's young, and he's learning. I get that. In the cage, out of the cage, all of it. And he may well find that at Jackson's. I don't know a goddamn thing, I'm just a guy with internet access and strong opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I agree with that but it was still enjoyable to watch interviews, press conferences, etc. back then even though the UFC had outgrown his antics. However now he is a new type of stupid. If he acted the way he did a few years ago I'd be much happier.
    I can't see the difference between the way dana acts now and the way he's acted since 2005.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 04-29-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

10. Default

Remember when Greg shouted at Jon to "go gain (or win) some fans" after he choked Lyoto out?
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Thread Information