Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: White: Gustafsson gets the winner of UFC 172 headliners Jon Jones vs Glover Teixeira

i would have been cool with the Goose rematch right after the 1st fight even though a close fight =/= rematch.

What im not cool with is Goose fighting a softly ranked #11 as the #1 contender. DC being in the top 5 of the division with a win over Pat Cummings. People even putting DC's name in the title picture based off Pat Cummings win - sorrry HW record is meaningless at LHW.

Matt @FantasyMoneyMan
    Yeah i know, that was a fill in fighter..i get it. We just wanna see him vs a real UFC top 205er. Top 5 guy..you'll get it done

Dana White @danawhite
    u will see him against the winner of Jones/Glover vs Gus
    sigh...its like i called them fast tracking DC to a title shot after a pat cummings win WEEKS ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    i would have been cool with the Goose rematch right after the 1st fight even though a close fight =/= rematch.

What im not cool with is Goose fighting a softly ranked #11 as the #1 contender. DC being in the top 5 of the division with a win over Pat Cummings. People even putting DC's name in the title picture based off Pat Cummings win - sorrry HW record is meaningless at LHW.
    Well good thing you are not Joe Silva and your opinion has no influence.

DC's title shot is not just based of his successful fight & weight cut at LHW. It also has to do with the fact he beat up top HWs and is undefeated in mma and the UFC.

Curious, how do you think 2014's LHW title picture should play out for the rest of the year (if you were Joe Silva)?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Well good thing you are not Joe Silva and your opinion has no influence.

DC's title shot is not just based of his successful fight & weight cut at LHW. It also has to do with the fact he beat up top HWs and is undefeated in mma and the UFC.

Curious, how do you think 2014's LHW title picture should play out for the rest of the year (if you were Joe Silva)?
    Based off Jones / Glover being April 26th id expect Jones (assuming he wins) to face Goose around August to September once again assuming not a lot of damage is taken in the Glover fight, and roughly a 4 month training camp. Assuming Jones wins the rematch id expect him to fight again at roughly the Superbowl weekend card in February - 5 months later against the next contender. By no means will DC still be the "next in line" almost a year later.

And if Jones moves up to HW should he get an automatic title shot because of his track record at LHW? No? Or if he beat say a Brandon Schaub or a Matt Mittrione? Because a win over pat cummings means less than a win over Mittrione or Schaub...

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post

And if Jones moves up to HW should he get an automatic title shot because of his track record at LHW? No? Or if he beat say a Brandon Schaub or a Matt Mittrione? Because a win over pat cummings means less than a win over Mittrione or Schaub...
    The way I see it, and this is solely my opinion.

If you have an impressive winning record at a high weight class and you successfully drop down to a lower weight class, you have a greater chance at success.

If you have an impressive winning record at a lower weight class (fighting smaller guys) and you move up to a bigger weight class (fighting guys more near your size), you dont have as much chance of success (as above).

Someone already said it in this thread or another thread.... I think Jone's mouth has been his own downfall here. If Jones would have ignored DC and not talked all this shit back and forth with him.. Fans would not be so vocal about wanting to see them fight and DC would have had to work his way up the LHW ladder like everyone else (eg. Phil Davis). But instead, Jones has allowed this big rivalry or grudge to build up due to his 'talking', so if anyone is to blame, Jones has just as much influence on the fans wanting to see this fight as DC or Dana has. The problem with Jones, besides his horrible PR, is his inability to be a huge PPV draw and therefor they need to hype grudges like this to sell his PPVs.

Meh.

I can't get worked up about jones' nonsense anymore. There wasn't a Jones fan in the world who was outraged when he fought MW's for the LHW title. As far as records being meaningless at 205, chael sonnen didn't even have a record at 205 in the UFC. Or a win, anyway.

If people weren't outraged at the pointlessness of that fight, it's a tad hypocritical for them to suddenly get vocal, now.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I say joe and dana throw everyone of these none contenders (in jones eyes) at him just to shut him up and make him realize this is not his org. and he needs to fight whoever his employers think he should fight. He lost me as a fan just like Anderson did with the self match making and saying every up comming fight is unworthy challenge.
    Last edited by killakem1; 03-10-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Damn.
    I am SO tired of listening to "Jesus" Jones talk about who is "worthy" of the HONOUR of fighting him!
    He always came off as cocky to me... now he just comes off as conceited... and a tad bit scared too.

If you're the champ, you should be willing to fight ANYONE. Ranked #1 or Ranked #30.
    SUPPOSEDLY you are the best in the division... so what's the problem with proving it against ANYONE in the division?!
    I don't get it.

And don't say "he has a lot to lose"... in EVERY fight he has the SAME thing to lose - his BELT.
    That's what being the champ is. Putting the belt on the line against ANYONE in the division... because... AGAIN... supposedly you are the BEST in the division. That's why they call you "champ".

I love guys like Fedor, or Gunni, or Machida. Guys who don't talk crap... but just FIGHT.
    If Jones really wants to be the p4p best... he could stand to take some notes.
    It's not just about winning fights. It's also how you carry yourself.
    Ask Tito... he'll let you know ALL about that.

Just my two cents.

I wouldn't mind DC fighting a Phil Davis or a Lil Nog in the meantime. The problem is LHW is a wasteland of contenders. Shogun, Hendo, Lil Nog are past their primes. Machida is at MW, Rampage is gone to Bellator.

The entire division got real old, real quick and the UFC hasn't developed any new stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wouldn't mind DC fighting a Phil Davis or a Lil Nog in the meantime. The problem is LHW is a wasteland of contenders. Shogun, Hendo, Lil Nog are past their primes. Machida is at MW, Rampage is gone to Bellator.

The entire division got real old, real quick and the UFC hasn't developed any new stars.
    uhhh... Glover, Goose, Cormier, Davis sure as hell seem like 4 bright young stars ready to challenge to the belt to me. And you have the old guard you mentioned, plus former champ Rashard Evans lurking out there. Heck, Ryan Bader is pretty damn talented for a guy struggling to climb up into the Top 10. The 205 lb division has never been as good or as deep as it is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CapCee View Post
    Gus did more than enough in his razor thin decision loss to Jones to not have to work his way back up. Shut up and fight, champ.
    And if he got a rematch against Jones, it should be purely based on that, but that argument had more legs if it was right after fighting Jones. Beating a Manuwa certainly doesn't warrant a title shot, and now having taken that fight sort of dilutes the argument. Glad that it was announced today that he is getting a title shot anyways.....

Thread Information