Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Athletic Commissions ever address Extreme Weight Cuts?

Default Will Athletic Commissions ever address Extreme Weight Cuts?

Some have suggested that the commissions implement a rule stating that a fighter can not cut more than 10lbs below their natural weight. And of course their are other number thrown around, but we have seen fighters go to the hospital after weight cuts because their bodies start shutting down. How long before someone dies? What are the long term health consequences of these 20lb plus weight cuts? Are there any studies being done? I think as fans of the sport we should definitely care more about this issue. I'd like to see this issue addressed.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

I think same day weigh-ins are eventually going to become standard rules, I believe they allow a certain percentage of weight over the limit. So the day before you weigh in at 155, and then the day of your allowed to weigh around 160.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

I think same day weigh-ins are eventually going to become standard rules, I believe they allow a certain percentage of weight over the limit. So the day before you weigh in at 155, and then the day of your allowed to weigh around 160.
    This, to me, has always been the simplest solution. And to save cards from lazy fighters, they can still have the option to continue by the one who made weight with him getting some huge cut of the other fighters pay. If not, the fighter who misses weight should get a one strike pass, then 1 year suspension. Make it serious and people will make weight.

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    Some have suggested that the commissions implement a rule stating that a fighter can not cut more than 10lbs below their natural weight. And of course their are other number thrown around, but we have seen fighters go to the hospital after weight cuts because their bodies start shutting down. How long before someone dies? What are the long term health consequences of these 20lb plus weight cuts? Are there any studies being done? I think as fans of the sport we should definitely care more about this issue. I'd like to see this issue addressed.
    10lbs is too strict in my opinion. A guy like Anderson Silva walks around well over 200lbs, some say in the 220lbs range, so now he wouldn't be allowed to fight at 185? That's crazy. If he can safely cut to 185 he should be allowed. For example, when Chael worked with Mike Dolce he dropped 30lbs very easily if you believe what he said. No marathon sauna sessions with rubber suits, just sensible eating and timing.

What is a person's "natural weight" anyways? It obviously changes (increases) as we get older, it's too subjective IMHO. I could say any number, who are you to tell me it's not? I'm not talking you specifically joeodd2, just hypothetically speaking to an official.

Maybe I'm not understanding the process, and maybe I'm just old school, but as dieticians are understanding more and more how the body works, it seems like safer ways to cut weight are emerging. If they're going to spend money studying something, I'd rather see them come up with a cheaper and quicker steroid test.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

Anderson doesn't cut 35 lbs. he may start camp there but he doesn't cut that. Difference in walk around weight and cutting weight.

Okay, thanks for clarifying, I get it now. Though I still think 10lbs is too strict. If you really can cut 20lbs or so safely, for e.g. with The Dolce method, you should be allowed to. Chael reportedly did this the day before weigh ins using diet, and Dolce confirmed it. Not sure if other fighters have had such success.
    Last edited by earle; 03-09-2014 at 02:35 PM.

DC was pulled from the Olympics because his body was shutting down due to weight-cuts. It is something that is going to have to be adressed, the only positive is a guy will cut weight and literally seconds after confirmed weight will begin the process of rehydrating and healing there body. But damage is still being done, no matter your diet, right now in the sport of MMA 98% of fighters are cutting unhealthy amounts of weight to fight in specific weight classes.

Same day weigh-ins with % allowed over the limit would be a great move, make alot of fights a little more even in the size category, and you could make the argument that a weight class between 205 and 265 is needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Same day weigh-ins with % allowed over the limit would be a great move, make alot of fights a little more even in the size category, and you could make the argument that a weight class between 205 and 265 is needed.
    That is something I'm in favour of. I've wanted a weight class between 205 and 265 for a long time. Maybe they could have a "super HW" class which is 230lb+, while 206-229 is just regular HW.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

9. Default

I think same day weigh-ins are a terrible idea for this sport. This isn't wrestling. There are strikes to the head in MMA.
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    I think same day weigh-ins are a terrible idea for this sport. This isn't wrestling. There are strikes to the head in MMA.
    How is it possibly a bad idea if the person is fighting at their normal weight?

Thread Information