Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyoto Machida: I believe in my striking against Chris Weidman’s wrestling

1. Default

Machida has some of the best TDD that I've ever seen. Weidman was able to outstrike Anderson Silva who I believe had slowed down considerably. Machida is much more elusive and a great counter striker. Very interesting match up. Machida has been KO'd and sub'd which Weidman could do both.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Man I really really CAN wait for this fight. I don't wanna see it 2 of my top 3 going at it.. I just don't want Chris losing that belt, But I can't root against the Dragon winning one. FUCKKK I hate this fight its driving me nuts.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

I have never had a hard on for 2 fighters that fight each other before this really blows.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by rahdeezy View Post
    To me..... the best defense Weidman has against Machidas elusiveness is to realize that he is the champion and that the challenger has to "take" the belt. Everyone says you have to "beat" the champ to take the belt. Maybe by the third round, Machida will realize hes not gaining points with his elusiveness when Chris is choosing not to be the aggressor.
    I've never liked the saying that the challenger has to "take the belt". Whoever wins the fight wins the fight. It doesn't matter by how much or who currently holds the belt.

That being said I'll take Machida in this fight. Bad style matchup for Weidman in my opinion.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    I've never liked the saying that the challenger has to "take the belt". Whoever wins the fight wins the fight. It doesn't matter by how much or who currently holds the belt.

That being said I'll take Machida in this fight. Bad style matchup for Weidman in my opinion.
    Iv'e always loved that saying myself. It defended Machida after first Shogun fight 2nd one ruined me... But yes if a challenger wins by split decision thats fuckin retarded to be the champ you gotta beat his ass proper no questions asked.

-Sam Rockwell

Machida's not going win the belt running backwards(looks bad to the judges IMO), Chris is going to pick him apart from the outside with his reach advantage.

Chris UD.

I agree, Chris should let Machida bring the fight to him, and when he does, he is lanky enough to pepper Machida as he dodges. When Machida has had enough of that and decides he needs to close the distance, bull rush him ala Chael vs Anderson and punish him on the ground. Much, much easier said than done obviously, but I think Chris takes it.

Too many people who fight Lyoto get impatient with his avoidance of engagement, and that causes them to get too aggressive and telegraph their attack. Then we end up with highlight reel knockout kicks.

This is a tough test for both of them which makes for a very interesting fight. I'm with Weidman all the way on this one and hope he makes a statement through Machida. It would be amazing if Weidman finished Machida. First Anderson, then Machida? What an epic beginning to a champion streak that would be.

9. Default

Interesting that Machida doesnt mention Weidman's striking at all... Doesn't think it's a threat? That hasn't worked out so well, historically.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Interesting that Machida doesnt mention Weidman's striking at all... Doesn't think it's a threat? That hasn't worked out so well, historically.
    I think he was pointing out each others strongest attribute more than anything. I highly doubt Machida will overlook Weidman's striking.

Thread Information