Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyoto Machida: I believe in my striking against Chris Weidmanís wrestling

Default Lyoto Machida: I believe in my striking against Chris Weidmanís wrestling

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/3/10...-chris-weidman
    "Iíve fought a lot of wrestlers before, and I know Weidman has a good wrestling, but Iím confident on the work Iím developing with my team," he said. "I believe in my striking game against Weidmanís wrestling. Heís complete in every aspect of the game, but Iím confident in what I do."

A win at UFC 173 would be a historic one for Machida. The Brazilian, a former light heavyweight champion, will join B.J. Penn and Randy Couture as the only fighters to win UFC belts in multiple weight classes if he beats Weidman in Las Vegas, but heís not paying attention to those stats yet.

"This is the consequence of our work. I canít focus on that," he said. "Records and numbers are cool, everybody wants that, but I try not to think about that."

"The Dragon" is the underdog against Weidman, but (again) thatís something he doesnít care.

"I donít pay attention to those things," he said. "I got to a stage in my career where Iím more focused in what Iím doing than in what people bet or what is Weidman training. Thatís what matters. The experience that I have and what Iíve done makes me more comfortable in a situation like this."

His striking and elusiveness contributing to his tdd wins this fight for him imo. Chris is tough and I can't wait to see this fight

I honestly believe his elusiveness and ability to hit and not be hit (as much) wins him this fight. His TDD is very good and I'm sure his jitz can be used offensively if Weidman gets him on his back. I honestly believe Machida takes this fight if he can maintain his pace of strike avoid counterstrike.
    [CENTER]"The time is almost upon us....
    I will remake this pathetic orb in my image, and then the stars."
    Apocalypse

I have to agree.
    Tough fight for Weidman.
    It will be VERY interesting to see how this one plays out!

Agree with whats already been said.....
    man am I excited f8r this f8ght!

historically, people who change weightclass in the UFC fail to win title fights. I dont see machida winning the 185 title
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Machida has all the right things in place to beat Weidman. That said I'd not be surprised to see him show up and be tentative and let Weidman dictate the pace and be more aggressive and end up losing a close decision.

I'm hoping Machida wins, but afraid that it will end in a split decision victory for Weidman.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimški and Anton Kuivanen

Definitely a difficult matchup for Weidman. I think the difference in this is going to be Weidman's clinch work/game plan. If Weidman can utilize his wrestling to create a clinch game along the fence, I think he can get it done. I think Lyoto's TDD is much better than Anderson's so I don't see this hitting the ground near the middle of the octagon like we did with Anderson. If he chases Lyoto all night then we will see a new Middleweight Champ

To me..... the best defense Weidman has against Machidas elusiveness is to realize that he is the champion and that the challenger has to "take" the belt. Everyone says you have to "beat" the champ to take the belt. Maybe by the third round, Machida will realize hes not gaining points with his elusiveness when Chris is choosing not to be the aggressor.

Thread Information