+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva takes his first kicks [Video]

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    It is very impressive I thought he would have been out much longer, but I think it is a legitimate question Chris trained for that scenario .....capitollizing on his poor technique.
    Are referring to Anderson's kick in the video as poor technique or the kick in which he acquired the injury? Imo the technique chris used was very shady. Legal yes but he learned that from his trainer knowing it could end a fighters career and anderson is bouncing back from it. I dont think the intial kick was poor technique at all. May have been aimed a little high but ill have to re-watch the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Bisping would be the ideal return for Anderson. It's a win-win for both. Anderson gets an opponent who is highly ranked, marketable and doesn't pose any serious dangers to him style-wise and for Bisping, he gets the most vulnerable version of Anderson and gets catapulted to a potential title shot with a win.
    Plus if the UFC had the fight in England it would be HUGE for them.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Better hope that ball doesn't check his kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    So now he can use sloppy technique when kicking without fear of injury?
    there is still quite a risk of injury. The center of the shin is probably stronger, but the points where the rods are secured are going to be compromised and weakened.

I've seen riders re-break bones after getting titanium rods/plates etc with far less impact than the initial break...but the breaks can occur where the plates are screwed into the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by killakem1 View Post
    Are referring to Anderson's kick in the video as poor technique or the kick in which he acquired the injury? Imo the technique chris used was very shady. Legal yes but he learned that from his trainer knowing it could end a fighters career and anderson is bouncing back from it. I dont think the intial kick was poor technique at all. May have been aimed a little high but ill have to re-watch the fight.
    The technique wasn't aimed at ending a career, it's aimed at inflicting pain on anyone throwing leg kicks. There's a big difference there.

Anderson's technique was criticized by Bas Rutten as "poor" in that he doesn't typically turn his hips into the strike, so the flat part of his shin makes contact, as opposed to the edge. The edge is stronger, and you're less likely to stress fracture.

Whether it was "poor" technique at all is debatable...Anderson slaps his kicks even more quickly as a result of not turning his hips, so he can set them up to follow with combinations, and it had worked for him throughout his career till that point. You'll get Anderson haters who want to say anything they can to disparage him that focus on it being poor--and it's difficult to argue the point, because his leg probably wouldn't have broken if he'd turned his hips...although it still would have hurt...a lot.

I generally characterize it as Anderson took a gamble...he'd get increased speed on his low kicks with more versatility in his striking as a result, but at the cost of increased exposure.

I'd also say he lost that gamble.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

The technique wasn't aimed at ending a career, it's aimed at inflicting pain on anyone throwing leg kicks. There's a big difference there.

rh
    Never said it was aimed in that manner. All I said was he had knowledge it could possibly end a career. And in my opinion that is shady.

Never said it was aimed in that manner. All I said was he had knowledge it could possibly end a career. And in my opinion that is shady.
    Punching someone in the face can end their career, or kicking them in the head.
    A liver kick can end someone's career.
    elbows to a grounded opponent can end their life, never mind career.

the list can go on and on...

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Punching someone in the face can end their career, or kicking them in the head.
    A liver kick can end someone's career.
    elbows to a grounded opponent can end their life, never mind career.

the list can go on and on...

rh
    I get chris is your boy. Doesnt mean you have to defend him so badly to the point someone can't have an opinion on a technique that he used. It was shady. His trainer said he ended a guys career with using it. So all I said was he had the knowledge that it could potentially end a career. Not that, that was his intentions. Again just my opinion. I value yours and you should vaule mine and others opinions instead of always trying to get 1 up on people.
    Last edited by killakem1; 03-11-2014 at 01:14 PM.

I get chris is your boy. Doesnt mean you have to defend him so badly to the point someone can't have an opinion on a technique that he used. It was shady. His trainer said he ended a guys career with using it. So all I said was he had the knowledge that it could potentially end a career. Not that, that was his intentions. Again just my opinion. I value yours and you should vaule mine and others opinions instead of always trying to get 1 up on people.
    I value everyone's opinion but I just wanted to state that when you sign up to fight someone you know that your career could end. When I compete at BJJ I know that something could happen and my neck could give. I just had a disc slip in my vertebrae. Luckily it was put back in and is fine now, but I know when I get put in a move something like that could happen.

I guess it is semantics. You say shady, I say legal technique that ended the fight. Shady to me would be him doing something against the rules. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    I value everyone's opinion but I just wanted to state that when you sign up to fight someone you know that your career could end. When I compete at BJJ I know that something could happen and my neck could give. I just had a disc slip in my vertebrae. Luckily it was put back in and is fine now, but I know when I get put in a move something like that could happen.

I guess it is semantics. You say shady, I say legal technique that ended the fight. Shady to me would be him doing something against the rules. Just my two cents.
    Completely agree. I stated it was legal. But to me with the knowledge he had, it seemed shady. Maybe a bad choice of words but i have no other way to put it. All I did was voice my opinion. Riv has very valid points pretty much every post he posts. I just dislike how he seems to disregard everyone's opinion (maybe its just me but, thats how I take it).

Dont know how your disc feels now. You said it was put back in place but would just like to say hope you have a full recovery and get back to competing.

Thanks I am fine. I am pretty novice but hope to compete at least once this year. I have done a NAGA, but want to do one of the IBJFF's.

Yeah it is funny how everything is open to interpretation. I used to think Jon Jones kicks to the knee were dirty, but now I feel that since they are lega who am I judge. Funny how opinions change.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information