Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just rewatched GSP VS Hendricks

Default Just rewatched GSP VS Hendricks

I really don't have a clue how anyone would have given that fight to GSP. It makes no sense that he was given the victory, imo.

Several points I want to address are that Hendricks overpowered GSP nearly the entire fight, clinching him against the cage and reversing him when GSP would attempt it against him. Hendricks was never even close to being hurt, much less phased by anything GSP did to him, and he was more aggressive than GSP. GSP's best strikes that landed throughout the fight were not significant at all in terms of effectiveness, imo. The hardest strike I think he landed was a flush headkick which Hendricks shook off and gave only an expression of irritation like a big brother. Hendricks beat the hell out of GSP and inflicted a great amount of damage to GSP's head, body, and thighs. I feel he won the first 4 rounds and would have only lost the 5th due to GSP getting 2 takedowns. I would even give him the 5th if it were only one. He kicked GSP's ass and was never pushed by him. The guy smiled, laughed, and taunted GSP through the fight was was talking to Yamasaki while defending himself under GSP. He stayed strong from beginning to end.

This isn't supposed to represent everything that happened during the fight but how I felt about it.

Round 1 - They both scored 1 takedown each. GSP attempted a weak guillotine. Hendricks landed much more significant and powerful strikes, and inflicted real damage.

Round 2 - Hendricks beat GSP up this round unlike anyone ever has before. It was undeniably Hendricks' round. He rocks GSP multiple times causing him to desperately stumble and attempt to defend himself. I think it was the biggest beating GSP's taken in any of the rounds he's ever lost. Hendricks was beastly in this round.

Round 3 - GSP may have outstruck Hendricks in this round, but none of his strikes slowed Hendricks down or seemed to do anything besides land. Although he landed less, Hendricks still landed hard punches and strikes in this round and then landed a takedown and some GNP.

Round 4 - GSP slips and Hendricks takes advantage, pouncing into his guard and ground and pounds him for a minute or so, landing some hard shots to the body and face, and then those nasty short elbows that really damaged GSP's head. Hendricks lets GSP up and lands more significant strikes on the feet as well.

Round 5 - The only thing GSP had going for him in this round was landing two takedowns and ending the round in a "submission attempt" with a Kimura (which Hendricks big-brothered himself out of one in the 3rd or 4th round.)

Hendricks should be the champion right now. Anyone else watch it lately?

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    I really don't have a clue how anyone would have given that fight to GSP. It makes no sense that he was given the victory, imo.

Several points I want to address are that Hendricks overpowered GSP nearly the entire fight, clinching him against the cage and reversing him when GSP would attempt it against him. Hendricks was never even close to being hurt, much less phased by anything GSP did to him, and he was more aggressive than GSP. GSP's best strikes that landed throughout the fight were not significant at all in terms of effectiveness, imo. The hardest strike I think he landed was a flush headkick which Hendricks shook off and gave only an expression of irritation like a big brother. Hendricks beat the hell out of GSP and inflicted a great amount of damage to GSP's head, body, and thighs. I feel he won the first 4 rounds and would have only lost the 5th due to GSP getting 2 takedowns. I would even give him the 5th if it were only one. He kicked GSP's ass and was never pushed by him. The guy smiled, laughed, and taunted GSP through the fight was was talking to Yamasaki while defending himself under GSP. He stayed strong from beginning to end.

This isn't supposed to represent everything that happened during the fight but how I felt about it.

Round 1 - They both scored 1 takedown each. GSP attempted a weak guillotine. Hendricks landed much more significant and powerful strikes, and inflicted real damage.

Round 2 - Hendricks beat GSP up this round unlike anyone ever has before. It was undeniably Hendricks' round. He rocks GSP multiple times causing him to desperately stumble and attempt to defend himself. I think it was the biggest beating GSP's taken in any of the rounds he's ever lost. Hendricks was beastly in this round.

Round 3 - GSP may have outstruck Hendricks in this round, but none of his strikes slowed Hendricks down or seemed to do anything besides land. Although he landed less, Hendricks still landed hard punches and strikes in this round and then landed a takedown and some GNP.

Round 4 - GSP slips and Hendricks takes advantage, pouncing into his guard and ground and pounds him for a minute or so, landing some hard shots to the body and face, and then those nasty short elbows that really damaged GSP's head. Hendricks lets GSP up and lands more significant strikes on the feet as well.

Round 5 - The only thing GSP had going for him in this round was landing two takedowns and ending the round in a "submission attempt" with a Kimura (which Hendricks big-brothered himself out of one in the 3rd or 4th round.)

I haven't all that lately but I watched a few times since the fight and I really think that under the ten point must system GSP won the fight. In my opinion, GSP won rounds 1, 3 and 5. Hendricks took 2 and 4 convincingly. While the three rounds gsp won were much closer than the two Hendricks won, I still think the score was 48-47 GSP. The scoring system is more at fault than the judges were in the fight.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I'm surprised you scored round 3 for Hendricks. Hendricks landed much less than GSP in that round and that one takedown itself didn't help him steal that round. Almost all websites, all 3 judges, and most people watching it gave that round to GSP as well. Majority agreed that rounds 2 and 4 went to Hendricks and rounds 3 and 5 went to GSP, regardless of how different those rounds were.

The fight really came down to round 1 (including the judges) and round 1 was not an easy one to score either as strikes, significant strikes and takedowns were nearly dead even. It was so close that people pretty much have argued between two significant events with respect to who stole that round: GSP's submission attempt versus Hendricks' elbow strikes against the cage.

The judges are biased based on their vantage point. I wonder if the judge scoring it for Hendricks was sitting on the side where Hendricks threw those elbows strikes against the cage.
    Last edited by Dr. MMA; 03-11-2014 at 01:12 AM.

I haven't watched it a while. But I watched it twice around the time that it did happen.
    I don't want to admit it, but I think GSP won, but barely.
    I'd be OK with watching it again though.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

There's a reason they say, you gotta go out there and take it away from the champ. The most lopsided champ fight I think I've seen was the Jones vs Gustaffson fight. One that I thought the Sweden took easily. You gotta decisively beat these guys the judges just wont give it to the challenger.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicKnight3X View Post
    There's a reason they say, you gotta go out there and take it away from the champ. The most lopsided champ fight I think I've seen was the Jones vs Gustaffson fight. One that I thought the Sweden took easily. You gotta decisively beat these guys the judges just wont give it to the challenger.
    That's surprising too. I don't think it was lopsided at all. Rounds 1 (Gustafsson), 4 (Jones) and 5 (Jones) were easy to score. Rounds 2 and 3 were really a toss-up in my eyes. I personally scored it round 2 for Jones and round 3 for Gustafsson but I think a fair argument could be made for a 10-9 for either of those guys or even a 10-10 for both rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I haven't all that lately but I watched a few times since the fight and I really think that under the ten point must system GSP won the fight. In my opinion, GSP won rounds 1, 3 and 5. Hendricks took 2 and 4 convincingly. While the three rounds gsp won were much closer than the two Hendricks won, I still think the score was 48-47 GSP. The scoring system is more at fault than the judges were in the fight.
    I watched the first round again and will give my opinion on each minute of it.

Round 1 - In the first minute, GSP throws the first 3 strikes, lands the takedown, attempts a guillotine (which was more for points, imo, because it wasn't even close), engages the clinch and throws knees. Hendricks lands a couple good knees in the clinch, and reverses and wrestles GSP for a moment against the cage. GSP was the aggressor.

Right at the second minute, Hendricks throws another knee in the clinch which brings me to point out how hard these shots were that Hendricks landed on GSP's thighs throughout the entire fight. They played a key role in my opinion when it comes to significant strikes, damage, and effectiveness. GSP's knees to Hendricks' thighs are not even comparable. Those strikes looked painful and were no joke. Hendricks landed almost all of those knees flush on GSP's thigh and lifted his legs off the floor every time. Hendricks goes for the big left while GSP attempts a takedown, only to be stuffed, and as he holds onto Hendricks' leg, he eats a couple punches before pressing Hendricks against the cage. Hendricks lands those strong short elbows to the side of GSP's head, scoring a good amount of damage and ceasing the TD attempt. GSP may have been the aggressor in some eyes, but wasn't successful at anything.

Hendricks reverses GSP at the start of the third minute, pinning him against the cage where he lands another big knee. He pins him back against the cage, takes him down, and lands an elbow on their way back up. They separate. Hendricks was the aggressor.

At the start of the fourth, GSP goes low and Hendricks lands a decent knee to GSP's head. GSP landed several strikes consisting of a few quick jabs and a light kick that seemed relatively ineffective other than to score points. He does land a head kick and a good left hook I believe, but again, they lacked any real power to be considered as highly significant, imo, especially when you land a head kick like that and your opponent only blinks. They scored good points though. They clinch and Hendricks lands those huge knees again, and I mean those things are fucking brutal. GSP looks as if he is merely touching Hendricks with his knee strikes while Hendricks is trying to knock his out of the cage. They surely had an effect. Hendricks was the aggressor.

In the last minute, Hendricks outworks GSP in the clinch for a moment before GSP breaks away. They both proceed to land moderate strikes on each other including jabs, punches, and leg kicks. GSP attempted more quick strikes, including a head kick that missed, while Hendricks attempted huge power shots with the intention of finishing GSP. He landed one good left to GSP's face that should be considered. GSP was a little more active, however, Hendricks seemed filled with intent in his actions rather than scoring points, and that leans me toward choosing him as the real aggressor to finish it up.

I feel like Hendricks just did more when it comes down to a pure fight perspective. When I use the term significant to describe strikes, I don't think i'm on the same page as the judges. I am personally referring to strikes that seem to really have some sort of affect on your opponent, and I don't think many of GSP's strikes in the first round really phased Hendricks whatsoever. Hendricks landed some HUGE knees to the thigh, a knee to GSP's head, and at least the solid left punch to the face. GSP landed some crisp jabs and punches, a weak head kick, some leg kicks (which Hendricks did also), and maybe a front kick?

Round 1 belonged to Hendricks in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I'm surprised you scored round 3 for Hendricks. Hendricks landed much less than GSP in that round and that one takedown itself didn't help him steal that round. Almost all websites, all 3 judges, and most people watching it gave that round to GSP as well. Majority agreed that rounds 2 and 4 went to Hendricks and rounds 3 and 5 went to GSP, regardless of how different those rounds were.

The fight really came down to round 1 (including the judges) and round 1 was not an easy one to score either as strikes, significant strikes and takedowns were nearly dead even. It was so close that people pretty much have argued between two significant events with respect to who stole that round: GSP's submission attempt versus Hendricks' elbow strikes against the cage.

The judges are biased based on their vantage point. I wonder if the judge scoring it for Hendricks was sitting on the side where Hendricks threw those elbows strikes against the cage.
    I agree that GSP attempted and landed way more strikes than Hendricks in the third, however, I just can't consider much of it to have been effective against Hendricks from a pure fight perspective. Sure he was outlanding him and beat him on the scorecards with strikes landed, but aside from the nice leg kick, a body kick or two, and some crisp jabs and hooks, nothing seemed to pose a problem to Hendricks, nor phase him at all. Hendricks probably landed less than half the strikes, but I could see the ones he landed had much more power behind them, and GSP was feeling it. Hendricks landed some hard punches to the body and head, was just as much of an aggressor as GSP was I feel like, even though he wasn't landing as much, and then secured my opinion in the last minute when he clinched GSP against the cage and took him down again, landing some ground and pound to finish up the round. If Hendricks gained half the offense GSP did in the round, he seemed to have affected GSP twice as much with it than he had been by GSP. What also plays a huge role in my opinion on this is the fact we have seen so many fights in the past where a similar battle may have occured and then the round was won due to a single takedown. Hell, i'm sure there's been times where a guy probably got beat up pretty bad but stole rounds due to a single takedown.

If the first round was being disputed between GSP's guillotine attempt and Hendricks' elbows, that's a no-brainer in my opinion. GSP's guillotine attempt was very short and didn't seem like he was fully committed to it. It wasn't even close, and he lost it within a matter of seconds. Hendricks elbows on the cage on the other hand were significant strikes. Those were some strong short elbows and landed on GSP's temple and skull. They split him open and it was apparent that GSP had to stop himself from taking those, so he gave up the takedown. GSP's half-hearted submission attempt that failed VS Hendricks elbows that actually landed and did considerable damage. Hendricks takes that, doesn't he?

There's a reason they say, you gotta go out there and take it away from the champ.
    I don't know, I really think he did take it from him. Hendricks beat the hell out of GSP and hurt him pretty bad. I'm not just talking about how bad his face was because GSP's face always gets torn up, but that was definitely the worst, and the hardest punches GSP has ever taken to the skull, imo. Not only his skull, but Hendricks really landed some brute punches to GSP's body, and he kneed the everlasting shit out of GSP's thighs. He also overpowered him most of the fight and had to have worn him down quite a bit.

Hendricks took no real damage anywhere, imo, and looked fresh at the end of the fight. He was smiling and laughing the whole time and looked like he had just got done reading a book at the press conference, while GSP looked like he fought a LHW.
    Last edited by m1ckeykn0x; 03-11-2014 at 02:45 AM.

I thought the Jones/Gus fight was far closer than GSP/Hendricks. Jones actually did his fair share of damage. GSP did next to none.
    (Not that damage inflicted is judging criteria, just using it as an indicator of successful offense)
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

I thought it was a close fight.. a really close fight. I remember Joe Rogan pretty much declaring Hendricks the winner, before the decision was announced, and wondering wth he was talking about. I had a feeling that gsp was gonna squeak out the decision. It wasn't a robbery, just an incredibly close fight. Each fighter had their 2 decisive rounds, it all came down to the first round, which was pretty hard to score. Sure Hendricks did more damage, but that didn't win Penn their first fight either.

If the first round was being disputed between GSP's guillotine attempt and Hendricks' elbows, that's a no-brainer in my opinion. GSP's guillotine attempt was very short and didn't seem like he was fully committed to it. It wasn't even close, and he lost it within a matter of seconds. Hendricks elbows on the cage on the other hand were significant strikes. Those were some strong short elbows and landed on GSP's temple and skull. They split him open and it was apparent that GSP had to stop himself from taking those, so he gave up the takedown. GSP's half-hearted submission attempt that failed VS Hendricks elbows that actually landed and did considerable damage. Hendricks takes that, doesn't he?
    I personally gave the edge to Hendricks in the first round. However, it was very close and after I watched it live and re-watched it, I thought it really could've gone either way depending on people's perspective. What I was attempting to say regarding GSP's submission attempt vs Hendricks elbows was not in regards to which I thought was superior, but as an illustration of how close the round was, i.e., you can see how close the round was that it came down to people arguing over few moments of the action.

Thread Information