+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just rewatched GSP VS Hendricks

Damage isn't considered in scoring.

And there is a good reason for that.

Anyone not actually in the fight is ill-equipped to tally damage until the fight is over and a medical team can make an assessment. Every fighter has a different physiology, they're going to react to strikes differently, they're going to cut more or less easily, or bruise more or less easily. An observer--no matter how many fights they've seen, or how they train--is still prone to get things incorrect. Look at Hughes/Penn II, Rogan started an enormous myth that Penn was gassed by the end of the second, but he'd separated cartilage from his ribs.

I had Georges edging the fight. With my understanding of how fights are scored--which I don't necessarily agree with all the time, but I was actually fine with for this, specific case; I gave St. Pierre rounds 1, 3 and 5. He certainly looked worse after the bout, and I'd say that he was more trouble in round 2 than Hendricks was ever in during the bout, but when a fighter isn't finished, that stat becomes less important.

I think if you're a Hendricks fan and you want any type of vindication, you should console yourself with the fact that he's getting a title shot coming off a loss on the scorecards. That's a horrible precedent to set--look at how much shit Coker got for having Rogers fight AO after Fedor KO'd him, and ask yourself how it would be received if anyone but dana made this decision.

But he's getting another shot at the title, nonetheless. He should be happy, you should be happy.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Just my 2cents but I actually scored the fight for GSP on the night.

Yes it was close but as stated by others, if you're scoring the fight correctly then GSP is the plausable winner.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I haven't all that lately but I watched a few times since the fight and I really think that under the ten point must system GSP won the fight. In my opinion, GSP won rounds 1, 3 and 5. Hendricks took 2 and 4 convincingly. While the three rounds gsp won were much closer than the two Hendricks won, I still think the score was 48-47 GSP. The scoring system is more at fault than the judges were in the fight.
    That's how I saw it too. GSP won 3 rounds by a razor thin margin. Hendricks won 2 rounds clearly, but none were dominant enough to give a 10-8 round to. If there were 1/2 points, then I would have scored it for Hendricks. Clearly at the end of the fight Hendricks overall inflicted more damage, but strictly on the 10 point scoring system I can see how GSP was given rounds 1, 3, 5. If you want to beat a defending champion, you need to do it convincingly. Hendricks left 3 rounds in the judges hands and lost the fight.

If fights went by how damaged a fighter looked then BJ Penn has never lost a fight lol

1,3,5 for GSP PERIOD.

Hendricks would have won under Stockton Rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

^so buddy grabbed the fence to stop the takedown got rewarded with a dominant position then proceeded to dance around like a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    GSP, point deduction for bitchassness.
    And making lady noises
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    If fights went by how damaged a fighter looked then BJ Penn has never lost a fight lol
    Same with Frankie Edgar and Chael Sonnen.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information