Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just rewatched GSP VS Hendricks

People have speculated how the rematch would go. Some people felt that Johny would win the rematch as he would go harder in the 5 rounds instead of coasting some (like getting up in the 4th or taking it easy in the 5th), I for one felt that not only would GSP win the rematch, I really think he would win in a lopsided fashion. GSP is great at making adjustments in rematches and the one thing that he must've realized from the first fight is that Johny was way stronger than he anticipated, making the TDs and the clinch work much tougher. Most of GSP's game plan involved these two elements in the fight. Make no mistake, GSP is a better striker, even if he didn't get to show it properly in that fight. I think he would change this into a striking battle and score points from the outside. It's always a dangerous thing to do given Johny's power though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    People have speculated how the rematch would go. Some people felt that Johny would win the rematch as he would go harder in the 5 rounds instead of coasting some (like getting up in the 4th or taking it easy in the 5th), I for one felt that not only would GSP win the rematch, I really think he would win in a lopsided fashion. GSP is great at making adjustments in rematches and the one thing that he must've realized from the first fight is that Johny was way stronger than he anticipated, making the TDs and the clinch work much tougher. Most of GSP's game plan involved these two elements in the fight. Make no mistake, GSP is a better striker, even if he didn't get to show it properly in that fight. I think he would change this into a striking battle and score points from the outside. It's always a dangerous thing to do given Johny's power though.
    Agreed GSP would adjust his game plan and win more convincingly. He has more tools and is a more well rounded then Hendricks so he has other options that be used. Course that all depends on GSP's mindset going into a rematch. I don;t think he was as focused and prepared as he should have been for that fight for whatever reasons.

Yeah, GSP bruises and cuts easily, but lets not act like it's not also because Hendricks has a lopsided power advantage.

JH's most impressive round was way, way more impressive than any round GSP had. I thought JH won 3 rounds to 2 as well.

Oh well, though. GSP got his ass whipped and now we don't have to sit through boring 5 round title fights anymore. Stoked to have a new champ this weekend.
    Last edited by dbader08; 03-12-2014 at 03:27 AM.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

I wonder if GSP will make an immediate return if Lawler so happened to win this fight. Johnny obviously has better wrestling and can neutralize GSP's game pretty well; Robbie's has been a lot better lately but not as good as Hendricks. Maybe briefly leaving the UFC to avoid an immediate rematch with Hendricks that might've been in the works after that decision..? Not saying GSP is a ducker but it may be a possibility.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

I have always been a big GSP fan, and I always will be. That being said, I don't think a rematch would be so easy for him at all. He cannot outwrestle Hendricks like he has other opponents. Because Hendricks can heavily neutralize that part of his game while also being able to overpower George in the clinch, GSP would have to resort to a striking based game plan where he would have to score points, because he's not going to knock Hendricks out hitting him like he did. Hendricks would probably respect GSP's power even less, so he would just wade in for the kill the best he can, and he almost succeeded in the first fight.

Johny is just a bad match up for GSP at this point of his career.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    I have always been a big GSP fan, and I always will be. That being said, I don't think a rematch would be so easy for him at all. He cannot outwrestle Hendricks like he has other opponents. Because Hendricks can heavily neutralize that part of his game while also being able to overpower George in the clinch, GSP would have to resort to a striking based game plan where he would have to score points, because he's not going to knock Hendricks out hitting him like he did. Hendricks would probably respect GSP's power even less, so he would just wade in for the kill the best he can, and he almost succeeded in the first fight.

Johny is just a bad match up for GSP at this point of his career.
    It depends which GSP showed up. If it was the same guy from his 1st fight with Hendricks, GSP would probably lose. If it was the guy from before Hendricks, he has the capability of completely dominating him. GSP has dominated wrestlers of similar caliber to Hendricks, and he has dominated strikers who are superior to Hendricks. He just needs to have that motivation and drive back, which I sadly believe may be gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    It depends which GSP showed up. If it was the same guy from his 1st fight with Hendricks, GSP would probably lose. If it was the guy from before Hendricks, he has the capability of completely dominating him. GSP has dominated wrestlers of similar caliber to Hendricks, and he has dominated strikers who are superior to Hendricks. He just needs to have that motivation and drive back, which I sadly believe may be gone forever.
    If we ever see a rematch i think we get the GSP from before Hendricks. I think GSP had a lot on his mind especially with the retirement leak and I just do not think he was fully invested in the fight. If we ever see the rematch, it will be because GSP is back fighting because he has regained his love and passion for the sport. GSP has gotten paid, and comes off as a smart guy so I highly doubt we ever see a return due to needing money.

Agree with the last few posts - if GSP made it his plan, he could take down Hendricks at will. His takedown attempts in the fight were forced and a bit sloppy. Even his shots against Diaz were slower and sloppier than normal. Compare them to the takedown attempts from his matches against Alves or BJ Penn 2 - totally different.

It could be that the ACL tear/surgery took away some of his burst, it could be the mental pressure he refers to, or it could be some of both. Either way, some time off will do him good, and he can come back and dominate like he used to.

If you ever want to see what a pissed off and hungry GSP will do just look at the 2nd Serra fight... it was an absolute slaughter because he was avenging a loss and getting the title back... ever since then I feel (as a HUGE GSP nut hugger) we haven't seen close to the same form since.. and I rewatched the fight and it depends on if you score control and more strikes landed or damage done to see who won that fight...

on the 10 pt must system I feel GSP eeked it out but on the real world fight scale Hendricks dominated... it would be an interesting rematch but I unfortunately am cautiously pessimistic to the fight on Saturday.. I feel both will come out kind of shy and it could be an underwhelming fight... I hope to god it is as great of a fight as it should be if they just go game busters on the feet but when the belt is on the line GSP proved that smart gameplans to win fights is what happens most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by singinkangaroooo View Post

on the 10 pt must system I feel GSP eeked it out but on the real world fight scale Hendricks dominated... it would be an interesting rematch but I unfortunately am cautiously pessimistic to the fight on Saturday.. I feel both will come out kind of shy and it could be an underwhelming fight... I hope to god it is as great of a fight as it should be if they just go game busters on the feet but when the belt is on the line GSP proved that smart gameplans to win fights is what happens most of the time
    I don't know about that......I am sure Hendricks has no intention of letting it go to the judges.

Thread Information