Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alvarez: 'Phony' Melendez signing with UFC was another excuse to duck Bellator champ

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Chandler is going to whoop that ass!
    Agreed.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

To be fair, Melendez has had numerous opportunities to fight Alvarez in the past, both in Japan and during the time both were champions of their respective promotions and were both vying to compete with the UFC and it's always kinda hinked me that they were never matched up, given the relative lack of depth among TOP LWs outside of ZUFFA.

I'm an Eddie mark and think that Gil matches up poorly against Eddie, however Eddie has a really bad habit of hanging his chin and getting clipped carelessly, which has always scared me once he goes against the REAL top tier LW competition. I've always been a little cautious of Gil at LW against everybody, as he's got some speed, but just seems so much smaller in there against a Bendo or say, Thomson or Masvidal.

I dunno, I think Eddie trumps Gil but this sounds a lot like Eddie is more PO'd over Gil's sweet deal and the fact tha Gil got a major offer that ZUFFA matched and now gets to fight for the title & get major press through TUF, while Eddie is stuck doing one more gruelling fight with the awesome Chandler, with a near 50/50 chance of losing on a PPV where nobody will see him and he'll get very minimal points and then becoming a potentially much devalued free agent. Had Eddie got to do his UFC contract, he'd be in a totally different place both financially and professionally and if I were to guess, I'm thinking this just sticks in his craw and he's now angling to get a Gil fight upon his UFC debut regardless of the Chandler III outcome, since he's totally gonezo after the PPV.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist of Lemon View Post
    Are we really going to overrate Bellator champs now? I like Eddie as much as anyone, and I'd love to see him in the UFC, along with Chandler...but to state he's flat out better Bendo is crazy. The entire top 8 of the lightweight division are tough fights for Eddie, save for maybe Cerrone. UFC is just another beast than what Eddie's faced in DREAM and Bellator.
    My thoughts exactly.

Especialy the LW division.

Same was said about Gil and he promptly walked in and took Henderson right to the brink.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Some would say Gil won that fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

I would say the same.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

The only problem I have with what Alvarez has to say here is the fact that Gil did sign with Bellator and the UFC had matching rights which they exercised if I am not mistaken. Sounds like this was out of Gil's control.

Thread Information