Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Overlooked' Jake Shields surveys welterweight landscape ahead of Hector Lombard bout

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Yes, I agree with the thing on Jake's dad I was just referring to how the UFC views their contenders. I wasn't saying that because of that fight he shouldn't be a contender anymore.
    True. For UFC, they will distort facts in their favour. They will probably view it as just a loss with no asterisk.

If they wanted to cut Shields, Dana would say, "Shields is 4-2-1 since he's been in the UFC. In his losses, he was dominated by GSP and was knocked out by Ellenberger in less than a minute. From his 4 wins, 3 of them were split decisions in which many thought he should've lost, so technically he could have even been 1-5-1. That's a guy that's on the latter end of his career"

If they wanted to hype up Shields, Dana would say, "Shields was the first guy to take 2 rounds from GSP in his title reign. His other loss was 2 weeks after his dad died, who was also happens to be his manager. I don't care how tough you are, but nobody's head will be on straight after that. Jake is 3-0-1 since that loss and his last 2 wins were against Woodley, who is fighting for the #1 contendership and Demian Maia, who has the best BJJ in the UFC and Shields outgrappled him!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    What round was the eye poke in the Shields bout? I've always put an asterisk next to that GSP wincing win because he was clearly messed up over the second half of that fight and I remember just hoping his eye didn't get the fight stopped.
    End of round 3, I believe. You are right about that; GSP was pretty much doing whatever he wanted in the first 3 rounds and that eye really bothered him in the last 2 rounds. Most people think it was a punch that connected to the eye (also because that's what Shields said in the press conference), but it was clearly a poke.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Lombard's got crazy balance and some pretty top notch TDD, but I always question him as I don't believe his roster is loaded with what I'd dean "worldbeaters" and Shields could've very easily dropped either of his last two(I had both scored for Maia and Woodley respectively) and he kinda fucked up by NCing the Ed Herman bout.

That's not to specifically devalue Shields' grappling talents(his striking is still incredibly poor at this stage in his MMA progression, which will always impede on him getting to the next level IMO), but I've personally not seen the same quality of performances out of Jake since he came back down from MW to join the UFC. Since the Kampmann fight, Jake's looked tired and drawn out, he was undersized at MW but I think he put on too much muscle in his SF run and may still be feeling the after effects.

I'm thinking Lombard cracks him if he can't take it down and keep it down and Shields is going to have to be very careful if he wants to clinch and grind, as Lombard will definitely look to throw him.
    The thing with Shields is that he definitely pulls stuff out. He's always game. I thought Henderson, Maia and Woodley were all bad matchups for him and he beat all of them (even if the latter two were by split decision). Lombard seems like another bad matchup, but I wouldn't be surprised if Shields somehow pulled it off. Shields is relentless with his takedowns and Lombard may spend a lot of time and energy defending them throughout the fight.

While I agree with the idea behind the Condit / Shields match-up is the one we should be getting, I'll be ok if the reason we are getting Shields / Lombard is because they want to set up the winner as the next in line after Condit should he beat Woodley. Kinda like they are not wanting to burn through there top 2 challengers. But you never know, they could just be over looking Shields.

We've all now contributed to a Jake Sheilds thread...

I think Shields will be surveying the rafters and lights from the comfort of his back.

He looked good against Maia, but I think he's slowing down. Lombard's speed and KO power will probably give Shields trouble if Jake can't tie up.

Every time I think Shields is going to get his ass kicked, he somehow pulls out the win. I'm picking Shields in the...mild upset? Not sure what the line is.

Jake Shields +175
    Hector Lombard -215
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

That is really good odds for shields
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Thanks Kevo, it's a pretty close line so I would bet on Shields if I was a gambling man.

I'm thinking a Shields+Condit parlay that pays off better than 3-1 isn't the worst idea I've ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Hector Lombard, Jakes Shields trade shots before UFC 171
    "I believe he's a great fighter. His record speaks for itself. He beat a who's who of the sport. But, he's boring," Lombard said flatly when asked for his appraisal of Shields. "This is a sport where you have to entertain fans.

"Because at the end of the day, this is the entertainment business. It's not like the win business. It's like, go up there, show your skills and knock people out. He doesn't have that."

While Shields has competed in a several prominent bouts over the course of his UFC career, most notably a 2011 title challenge against Georges St-Pierre at Toronto's 55,000-seat Rogers Centre, one would need to gaze all the way back to mid-2009 to find the 35-year-old's most recent stoppage win.

Now, coming off back-to-back split decisions, Shields has been given the task of facing Lombard, whose drop down to 170 pounds has thus far paid dividends in the form of a first-round knockout of Nate Marquardt at UFC 166.

The Cuban-Australian is a ferocious opponent, certainly, but one still ranked outside the promotion's top-10. Although if you ask Lombard, there's a reason behind the UFC's curious matchmaking.

"He's boring," Lombard repeated of Shields. "He's boring. That's the truth. I don't like to see him fight and I'm a fan of fighting. I'm a fight fan. That's the way it is, man.

"He hurts the sport. It's like Ben Askren. People [couldn't] care less. It's like you go and you watch WWE wrestling, okay, and the guy is not entertaining, is kind of boring -- he can get fired. It's the entertainment business here. It's a professional business here. It's not like the Olympics. Who watches the Olympics?

"Trust me, I came from the Olympics," Lombard continued. "I can mention to you right now several Olympic gold medalists in judo, and you don't even know who they are. Now, I mention to you a bronze Olympic medalist in judo, and you know who she is. Why? Because she had to come here, she had to come to the entertainment business."

Lombard's criticism is a familiar refrain for Shields, who's heard similar grumbles for years from fans and opponents alike. Still, Shields didn't mince words in his response.

"I've always thought Hector was a prick," he shot back. "Everyone kind of knows that, so it's not surprising for a guy like that.

"As a person, everyone that knows [Hector], no one likes him at the gym. He's the guy who goes for all the new guys and tries breaking their ribs, breaking their arms, knocking them out. But as a fighter," Shields added, "He's talented."

Truth be told, after so many years, Shields appears weary of the narrative that continues to follow him. After being spurned in place of Woodley for UFC 171's co-main event, the American expressed a desire to make a statement on Saturday night, and afterward -- for once -- vocalize his demands for a title shot.

In the meantime though, Shields isn't willing to fall victim to Lombard's trap.

"Hector's a huge power striker so he probably wants me to come in and start trading shots with him, so I think he's trying to pull me into that game," Shields said. "But I know he's got a lot of power, so I'll put him on his back and submit him."

Jake Shields on UFC 171 opponent: No one likes Hector Lombard

UFC 171's Hector Lombard: MMA is entertainment, just ask Ronda Rousey

Thread Information