Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condit gets next welterweight title fight with win over Tyron Woodley at UFC 171

Default Condit gets next welterweight title fight with win over Tyron Woodley at UFC 171

Condit gets next welterweight title fight with win over Tyron Woodley at UFC 171
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/3/12/54...on-woodley-mma
    UFCONFOX ✔ @UFCONFOX
    Follow
    Carlos Condit has been told by the UFC if he wins at UFC 171, he will get the next shot at the welterweight title #UFC171

And if Woodley wins?

Condit/Hendricks 2 or Condit/Lawler sounds awesome though.

They'll probably set up Woodley/Lombard if Lombard wins against sheilds for woodley to be a contender. I wouldnt be upset even if they set up sheilds/woodley 2 if sheilds wins. It'll be roughly a year from there last fight but would be the fairest way to set up either of the two for a contendership.
    Last edited by killakem1; 03-12-2014 at 06:59 PM.

I think it's only cause they don't know outcome of lawler / hendricks yet and lawler and woodley train together.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    I think it's only cause they don't know outcome of lawler / hendricks yet and lawler and woodley train together.
    Even so I dont think they would fast track woodley that quick imo. Hes 3-2 (W-L-W-L-W) in his last 5 outings and only 2-1 (w-L-w) under the ufc banner. But it is the ufc and they wanna make exciting fights so maybe if Hendricks wins they may make the match up. The ko of kos gave him a bigger name but i dont see that justifying it. Just my 2 cents. My scenario I guess would still be fast tracking him.
    Last edited by killakem1; 03-13-2014 at 02:38 AM.

Woodley said yesterday he wouldnt have any problems fighting Lawler... even saying they would train together for the fight

I would prefer for a fighter to find out after the fact that they will be given a title shot so they go into the contenders fight with a clear head, as clear as one can be in high profile fights.
    With that being said I think Condit can make it happen and I also believe he deserves it. He is an exciting fighter and will be an exciting matchup for either Lawler or hendricks. If both Woodley and Lombard win I would like to see them fight for #1 contenders spot but unsure who I would put in place to face for the title.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Quote Originally Posted by killakem1 View Post
    They'll probably set up Woodley/Lombard if Lombard wins against sheilds for woodley to be a contender. I wouldnt be upset even if they set up sheilds/woodley 2 if sheilds wins. It'll be roughly a year from there last fight but would be the fairest way to set up either of the two for a contendership.
    Regardless of any possible outcomes this Saturday we will know who next person fighting for the title will by the end of the weekend. It could be Condit, woodley , Shields, Lombard, rory or Stungun. We will not see a title eliminator match before the title defense. The.division is too open with too many intriguing title fight to keep the titles on the shelf. Barring significant injury to the title winner of course.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by ckauffman28 View Post
    Woodley said yesterday he wouldnt have any problems fighting Lawler... even saying they would train together for the fight
    UFC 171's Tyron Woodley on possible title fights with ATT teammates: 'We'll train together'
    Woodley (12-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) meets former interim champ Carlos Condit (29-7 MMA, 6-3 UFC) in Saturday’s pay-per-view co-headliner, which takes place at Dallas’ American Airlines Center. One of his American Top Team teammates, Robbie Lawler, fights Johny Hendricks for the vacant title in the headliner, and in another main-card bout, ATT’s Hector Lombard takes on Jake Shields.

So does Woodley, who said he’s been promised a title shot if victorious, worry about potential scenarios in which he’s forced to fight another ATT rep?

“Not at all,” he told MMAjunkie Radio. “If worse comes to worse, we’ll do whole a training camp together if we have to fight each other.”

Woodley initially sounded serious but later laughed the more he thought about it. More than anything, he seemed to suggest its a bridge they’ll cross once they get there.

“What better way to get the exact look of the person you’re fighting than training with him?” Woodley said with a laugh. “I think it’s kind of funny that there’s so much discussion talking about us fighting each other. But really, at the end of the day, we have to focus on our opponents.

” … That’s first and foremost. That and obviously the support (of each other).”
    “I want to see my teammates go out there, and I want to see them to send a message against Jake, against Johny, and me against Condit,” he said. “We’ll talk about the rest afterward.”
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 03-13-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    Regardless of any possible outcomes this Saturday we will know who next person fighting for the title will by the end of the weekend. It could be Condit, woodley , Shields, Lombard, rory or Stungun. We will not see a title eliminator match before the title defense. The.division is too open with too many intriguing title fight to keep the titles on the shelf. Barring significant injury to the title winner of course.
    I was just playing the scenarios for Woodley. I know they won't keep the tittle on the shelf. Like you said the division is freed up now and plenty of contenders. I just dont think they will fast track woodley if he wins. I also dont like the thought of lombard potentially getting a shot after 2 ww appearences.

To me if Carlos dont win id turn to Kim. Hes on a 4 fight win streak (last 2 finishes) and 8 out of his last 10 with some names on that list.

If rory was to get the nod I wouldnt be too upset. However he just lost to Robbie and was finished by Carlos. And imo didnt look all that great against Mia. Also hasnt finished a fight in 2 yrs.

Im just throwing that last part out there because I think the ufc wants to put on potential fights for the strap at ww that have a chance to be finished to bring life back to the class. Not dogging GSP on that one. He was a great champ and brought in huge numbers but I for one feel they were sorta lack luster fights. Dont get me wrong I'm all for his style. I enjoy grappling a lot. But this is the ufc and they are marketing more towards the casual fans than anything and most casual fans wanna see fights finished.

Thread Information