Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnson wants 'little b*tch' Diaz next

I agree with most here that this is a very bad matchup for Johnson. I think Diaz has a better chin than Melvin, keeps more consistent pressure, is far more dangerous off his back, and better at head games.

Though I wonder if the Blackzillians have a gameplan that they think can work. It seems like nowadays the trash talk is very tactical.

2. Default

Diaz is a bad match up for Johnson? Ha!

Johnson is a horrible match up for Nate.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Johnson's biggest improvement is his ability to implement a gameplan that counters his opponents weaknesses and he's done a great job sticking to it in the ring. On that alone that makes him a lot tougher match up for Nate then most people are giving him credit for.

Nate's struggled against guys who won't stand and trade with him in the pocket. I can certainly see Johnson winning a decisin and Nate complaining about him being a bitchass after the fact.

If you asked me two years ago I would have laughed, but Johnson has to be the most improved fighter in the UFC. Would love to see this fight, picking Johnson.

Johnson's biggest asset is his cardio and his chin.
    These two things will benefit you the least against a diaz.

But like i said earlier, Johnson has been very impressive during this last year of competition.

I'm surprised how many people think Diaz is such a bad matchup for Johnson. It's really the other way around. Johnson has great hands, is extremely quick and Nate isn't taking him down. I think Johnson would outpoint him all night to a decision victory.

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    He would have lost against Melvin if Melvin didn't put his hands in his pockets the last two rounds. Nate uses steady pressure and stays busy. It would be a great feather in Michael's cap if he wins though, maybe even a title shot if he can dominate or finish Nate.
    Two judges had Melvin losing the first round. Johnson would have won the fight even if melvin decided to throw shots in the later rounds, he adjusted well through out the fight.

I think it is a worse match up for diaz than it is for Johnson. Both Diaz brothers usually have trouble against guys who use good footwork and Johnsons footwork has gotten pretty good lately. The biggest out I see for nate is a submission, probably a guillotine off a bad scramble or takedown, but if I was a betting man, I would bet on Johnson to win it. It should still be a close and competitive fight, though.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    I'd have to disagree. Neither Diaz has ever done well against wrestlers with good boxing and footwork.
    gray maynard begs to differ
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    gray maynard begs to differ
    I don't think grays footwork is that great and his chin has been going downhill recently. He did outbox diaz in their second fight, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I'm surprised how many people think Diaz is such a bad matchup for Johnson. It's really the other way around. Johnson has great hands, is extremely quick and Nate isn't taking him down. I think Johnson would outpoint him all night to a decision victory.
    Call me crazy, but I would expect Diaz to get at least one takedown. Not dominate the wrestling, but I think he's continued to slide a bit more and more offensive wrestling into his skillset. I also think Johnson's TDD is good but not great.

That said, as far as styles. I think Miller and Maynard are good examples. I just don't think Johnson's footwork or ability to stick to a gameplan is as proven as we'd like and this is a huge step up in competition for him.

Thread Information