Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Ufc 171 official discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Awesome fight. I really liked the diversity in the combos that Hendricks was throwing and Robbie looked quite awesome tonight. This is the fight Robbie showed that he deserved to be in there as he nearly took the belt.

One of the other things I took away from this fight is that when GSP fought Hendricks, GSP won the contest (in terms of rounds, at least on the judges scorecards) but lost the fight (if you were looking at it as a whole). In this fight, Hendricks won the contest but Robbie won the fight in my eyes.

Johny, should Robbie ask everyone "look at both our faces and decide who won the fight"

Nonetheless, I enjoyed every moment of this fight... well except the last minute but he had to do what he had to do; the stakes were too high.

That judge was an idiot. I don't know what he was watching. If you judge the 2nd round a 10-8 then the 3rd round should've been a 10-7. Mind you, none of them deserved anything more than a 10-9.
    Is he an idiot? I'm really starting to think they're there for the fix

I'll try to find the fight on youtube today - when I watched it last night, nothing led me to believe Hendricks did anything to win that 1st round. He really had nothing for Lawler - every takedown was stuffed except for one in the middle of the fight when Robbie got right back up and then the one in the 5th. Lawler, on the other hand, landed clean shots in every round. Ah well, I don't see Hendricks defending very long...unless Rogan refs the fights.

Seems like he got lucky on decisions against Koscheck, Condit, and now Lawler.

Quote Originally Posted by scallas View Post
    I'll try to find the fight on youtube today - when I watched it last night, nothing led me to believe Hendricks did anything to win that 1st round. He really had nothing for Lawler - every takedown was stuffed except for one in the middle of the fight when Robbie got right back up and then the one in the 5th. Lawler, on the other hand, landed clean shots in every round. Ah well, I don't see Hendricks defending very long...unless Rogan refs the fights.

Seems like he got lucky on decisions against Koscheck, Condit, and now Lawler.
    It wasn't pretty but like I said before, it looked like Hendricks got to work a lot earlier in the fight than Lawler did. It seemed like Robbie used the first round or two to kind of feel out Hendricks, and get his timing down. While Johnny just came out and started landing leg kicks.

I'm not sure about the actual numbers yet but I'm sure the stats will be out soon.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

4. Default

There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

5. Default

There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Good card. This is how every ppv should be stacked and I have no problem paying for it (aside from the fact I think they should be cheaper given how frequent they are) but I will pay for them.

If they try to pass off cards like 170 and 150 as ppvs I'll continue streaming them if I'm bored and bother to watch them at all.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Also, I didn't know how big of a fan of Robbie Lawler I was until the fight began. I was rooting for him like crazy. Still bummed out that he got so close and couldn't get it done. I definitely thought Hendricks won 3-2 but Robbie was so game and the rounds he took was much more definitive than any of Hendricks', well not according to Douglas Crosby.

Edit: Also I just re-watched the fight. This fight was quite similar to the GSP and Hendricks fight in my opinion, at least in terms of scoring. The first round was extremely close and hard to score (like GSP/Hendricks round 1). The second round went to Hendricks (much like GSP/Hendricks round 3). The 3rd and 4th rounds were quite definitive rounds for Lawler (like GSP/Hendricks round 2 and 4). The 5th round of this fight was similar to GSP/Hendricks round 5. It went to Johny 48-47 but a case could be made for 48-47 Robbie depending on how you scored round 1, which was the same scenario as GSP/Hendricks.
    Last edited by Dr. MMA; 03-16-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Also, I didn't know how big of a fan of Robbie Lawler I was until the fight began. I was rooting for him like crazy. Still bummed out that he got so close and couldn't get it done. I definitely thought Hendricks won 3-2 but Robbie was so game and the rounds he took was much more definitive than any of Hendricks', well not according to Douglas Crosby.

Edit: Also I just re-watched the fight. This fight was quite similar to the GSP and Hendricks fight in my opinion, at least in terms of scoring. The first round was extremely close and hard to score (like GSP/Hendricks round 1). The second round went to Hendricks (much like GSP/Hendricks round 3). The 3rd and 4th rounds were quite definitive rounds for Lawler (like GSP/Hendricks round 2 and 4). The 5th round of this fight was similar to GSP/Hendricks round 5. It went to Johny 48-47 but a case could be made for 48-47 Robbie depending on how you scored round 1, which was the same scenario as GSP/Hendricks.
    He showed that an old school MMA fighter can adapt to the modern game and compete at the highest level against the freak athletes that many feel have taken over the sport. I am a big fan of Hendricks but I too found myself rooting for Lawler for that reason.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Great night of action from the prelims to the main event. I was rooting for Lawler, but Hendrix has my respect. Lawler just ran out of gas before the finish line. Had he kept the pace he had in round 4 he would be the new champ...or I should say SHOULD be the new camp. Ok, So Lombard vs Lawler for the next titleshot. Loved watching lombard use his Judo against shields, I wish Melvin Guillard would take notes on that and Robbie Lawler's awesome telephone pole jab. Lombard played it safe against shields not wanting to give him an easy take down I guess. Shields is very sticky on the ground, a hard guy to get good GnP against. But still Lombard was the boss the entire fight and should be in the mix for a title shot this year somehow. And if Diaz wants to get in the mix he should have to fight another top contender, they might match him against Lombard but I think it would be extremely unfair. Maybe rematch Diaz with Condit or fight woodley. But uf course I wouldn't mind seeing an immediate rematch between Lawler and Hendrix either. This was just that kind of a fight.

On a side note the ladies went out there and went to war hard tonight, very good night for WMMA.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

So much for Condit being crowned WW champion in 2014. Goddamn it.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    The president cursing like a sailor and having his shirt unbuttoned like some douche about to go to a club is also unprofessional and they dont seem to care.
    Hey, don't mess with the expensive unbuttoned dress shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Wow Rogan trying to sell Woodley winning on a freak injury. Nice.
    You have experience in that field. Don't you remember how giddy you were when Spider's leg snapped? Pot meet Kettle.

Don't you like it when fans celebrate injuries, especially when they act like the moral police as often as they can?
    Last edited by Sniggles; 03-16-2014 at 07:26 PM.

11. 03-16-2014, 07:21 PM

Thread Information