Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: Hendricks' statement towards GSP (spoilers).

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Since when is a late fight takedown by an exhausted fighter surprising or upsetting? Wrestling is a part of the sport and it didn't destroy the other 24-1/2 minutes of all out striking in my eyes. I witnessed an awesome fight from about 50 feet away and I am not disappointed.

    "Genuine fan" my ass.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,973

    Default

    I will have to rewatch the last round, but if one guy wins the first 4 minutes with striking and the other guy wins the last round by cuddling the other guy for the last minute, I think we have a problem.


    Quote Originally Posted by PRONG View Post
    Since when is a late fight takedown by an exhausted fighter surprising or upsetting? Wrestling is a part of the sport and it didn't destroy the other 24-1/2 minutes of all out striking in my eyes. I witnessed an awesome fight from about 50 feet away and I am not disappointed.

    "Genuine fan" my ass.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Know your role BLVD and Jabroni Dr
    Posts
    686

    Default

    Hendricks secured his win with that take down. I dont get why everyone is acting like he just put on a Jon Fitch performance. They went to war for five rounds, give them both some credit.
    Believe in Chimichanga's


  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    I will have to rewatch the last round, but if one guy wins the first 4 minutes with striking and the other guy wins the last round by cuddling the other guy for the last minute, I think we have a problem.
    I agree with you 100% and I have seen that happen in plenty of fights, this just wasn't one of them. Hendricks landed twice as many significant strikes as Lawler in the fifth round and that's not even counting the takedown.

  5. 03-16-2014, 05:50 PM


  6. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post
    If GSP was fighting Lawler he would have taken him down for 25 minutes yet Hendricks is getting shit on for doing that for 60 seconds. I'm not a Hendricks fan but I am a fan of logic and I'm really struggling to understand how anyone thinks a wrestler who stood in front of a striker for 24 of 25 minutes had a cop out victory.
    Stood in front of who for how long again? I counted 10 or 11 takedown attempts, even if most of them got stuffed. Off the top of my head, that seems like twice as many as Georges tried against Hendricks--and Hendricks was roughly half as successful as St. Pierre was.

    It was a fun fight, but it's always disappointing when a fighter LNPs at the last minute, it's just worse when it's for a title. It sucked when Chuck did it against Wandi, it sucked last night. I'm not a stand-in-the-pocket-and-bang fan, I appreciate grappling tremendously.

    The reason it's being done to death is that Hendricks has a lot of fanboys [and Georges has a lot of haters] who complained about UFC 167 because "damage wins fights," and Hendricks threw kerosene on that weak ass fire by talking smack about it...now he's in exactly the same position as Georges was...he won a points fight, but got beat up a lot on the way.

    I would LOVE to see a reporter who actually throws those comments back in his face...even though it would probably be the end of his UFC access.

    I would love to see an MMA reporter who doesn't suck, for that matter.



    But regardless, it was a fun fight, best of luck to both competitors. I thought Lawler was going to cruise based on the weigh-in, but Hendricks did pretty well in that 5th round. If he'd made a game effort at any subs after being so desperate for a takedown it would have been better, but it is what it is. Safe choices can win fights.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    Yeah, Bye.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PRONG View Post
    Since when is a late fight takedown by an exhausted fighter surprising or upsetting? Wrestling is a part of the sport and it didn't destroy the other 24-1/2 minutes of all out striking in my eyes. I witnessed an awesome fight from about 50 feet away and I am not disappointed.

    "Genuine fan" my ass.
    Genuine yes.

    I have been a fan for years among years. This is a new breed of fighters. Never would you have seen BJ, Wand, Fedor etc hold on to dear life without any intention of advancing position for a victory. Don't forget that those are the fighters who built the sport. Along with those fighters were their fan base who gladly paid for their performances. Those fighters as well as their supporters are slowly leaving. Appreciating that style which brought the sport recognition doesn't make me a legitimate fan?

    Mark my words, all this "technicality" bs is what will kill the sport. With some of you, BJ Penn is overrated by default cause of his record. But yet, it is overlooked who he has fought across all weight classes. I appreciate the effort and what they put in. THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME A GENUINE FAN? I don't care about Wanderlei's record, I appreciated how he fights every night. THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME A GENUINE FAN? I don't care about who wins or loses. If Johny had left it all in the cage, I would have appreciated that. Instead he layed on Lawler for the safe win.

    Feel free to rebuttal on how you think I'm not a genuine fan when I tell you it's all about effort to me and not wins and losses.

  8. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Stood in front of who for how long again? I counted 10 or 11 takedown attempts, even if most of them got stuffed. Off the top of my head, that seems like twice as many as Georges tried against Hendricks--and Hendricks was roughly half as successful as St. Pierre was.

    It was a fun fight, but it's always disappointing when a fighter LNPs at the last minute, it's just worse when it's for a title. It sucked when Chuck did it against Wandi, it sucked last night. I'm not a stand-in-the-pocket-and-bang fan, I appreciate grappling tremendously.

    The reason it's being done to death is that Hendricks has a lot of fanboys [and Georges has a lot of haters] who complained about UFC 167 because "damage wins fights," and Hendricks threw kerosene on that weak ass fire by talking smack about it...now he's in exactly the same position as Georges was...he won a points fight, but got beat up a lot on the way.
    Exactly. The reason Hendricks is getting a lot of hate is based on hypocritical comments. First, he criticized GSP for making it a takedown fest but it was clear he wanted to take the fight to the ground with his 10 takedown attempts. The only reason they did bang it out for 24 minutes is because Hendricks couldn't get Robbie down. Second, he started all this bullshit about visible damage against GSP and his comments on "look at my face and look at his, and you judge who won the fight". If that's the case, then Robbie should be declared the victor.

    See, I completely understand why he tried to take the fight to the ground and why he laid on him in the final minute. It's a title fight and he wanted to win. I fully understand that. That's not why a lot of fans are on his case. They are doing it because of his hypocritical comments that he made against GSP, i.e., he complains about it when he happens to him but it is okay for him to do the same.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,283

    Default

    1, 2, 5 Hendricks. Was very clear to me.

    Here's a secret to life: everyone is a hypocrite.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    1, 2, 5 Hendricks. Was very clear to me.
    I thought round 1 was anything but clear. Hendricks was busier, but I thought Robbie was landing a higher percentage of shots, and he outgrappled Johny. I watched it live and haven't bothered to rewatch it. I felt it was most probably Hendrick's round, but it could just as easily have been a 10/10 round.

    I found the whole thing eerily similar to 167.

    Here's a secret to life: everyone is a hypocrite.
    Here's a secret to life...not everyone is a hypocrite.

    But more times than not, it's amusing when a hypocrite is publicly exposed as such.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    Yeah, Bye.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,283

    Default

    There is no such thing as a 10-10 in MMA. It is way past the time that the 10 point must should be gone or utilized correctly. 10-9s should not look completely different with one round being near domination for a fighter and the other one being edged out. 10-8 and 10-10s are as scarce and will remain so. Good thing that the money-grubbing worm Kizer is gone, perhaps we will see change that we can believe in. We need Obama to replace Kizer.

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Here's a secret to life...not everyone is a hypocrite.

    But more times than not, it's amusing when a hypocrite is publicly exposed as such.

    rh
    Just sayin'. Everyone has been a hypocrite at one time or another in their life. I enjoy irony and schadenfreude as much as the next guy.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 03-16-2014 at 07:35 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •