Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hendricks' statement towards GSP (spoilers).

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    There is no such thing as a 10-10 in MMA. It is way past the time that the 10 point must should be gone or utilized correctly. 10-9s should not look completely different with one round being near domination for a fighter and the other one being edged out. 10-8 and 10-10s are as scarce and will remain so. Good thing that the money-grubbing worm Kizer is gone, perhaps we will see change that we can believe in. We need Obama to replace Kizer.

Just sayin'. Everyone has been a hypocrite at one time or another in their life. I enjoy irony and schadenfreude as much as the next guy.
    10-10 rounds do exist in MMA. They are just rare.

This is from the UFC website but still

http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

And why in the hell would we want Obama to run the commission...........

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    There is no such thing as a 10-10 in MMA.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Why aren't there more 10-10 rounds? A would say a quarter of rounds are too close to call, why not just give a 10-10 instead of flipping a coin? Hendricks would have beat GSP and Lawler would be champ now.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Why aren't there more 10-10 rounds? A would say a quarter of rounds are too close to call, why not just give a 10-10 instead of flipping a coin? Hendricks would have beat GSP and Lawler would be champ now.
    Ummm... how do figure that Hendricks would have beaten GSP and Lawler would be champ if the judges scored it a 10-10? If all judges scored the first round a 10-10, the fight would have been a draw in both fights.

Doug Crosby scored round 2 10-8 hendricks and round 5 10-10...

also, i think its about time the scoring system takes into consideration takedowns stuffed. Just because a fighter lands 1 take down it shouldnt make up for the 9 the other fighter stuffed...

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post

also, i think its about time the scoring system takes into consideration takedowns stuffed. Just because a fighter lands 1 take down it shouldnt make up for the 9 the other fighter stuffed...
    Are you saying they should score the stuffed takedown? I could see it working towards octagon control, but not sure about scoring a stuffed takedown. You don't score a blocked punch, or checked kick (do you?).

Kinda like in other martial arts where if I go for knee on belly and the guy keeps me from it they don't give him three points, even if he stops me five times. If I get it even that one time then I get my points.

I thought Hendricks one the last round even before the take down. This is coming from someone who didn't mind who won. I thought Robbie started to fade before the TD. Unified rules I think Hendricks won. Now if it was Pride rules then we probably got a different outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Are you saying they should score the stuffed takedown? I could see it working towards octagon control, but not sure about scoring a stuffed takedown. You don't score a blocked punch, or checked kick (do you?).

Kinda like in other martial arts where if I go for knee on belly and the guy keeps me from it they don't give him three points, even if he stops me five times. If I get it even that one time then I get my points.
    arent blocked punched and check kicks technically scored? I mean if a fighter blocks all of a persons punches clearly the judges will score the round for that said fighter - not the fighter who thew 100 punches to land say 5. Same would go for leg kicks - Robbie did a good job check some of the leg kicks but an example would be the same as above if a fighter throws 30 leg kicks and 25 are checked should the 5 that land be considered anything special?

For the wrestling part if a fighters gets stuffed more than he takes a fighter down shouldnt the takedown mean less - especially if there is no damage done to the fighter on the ground after said takedown. If they score a takedown - they should also score takedowns stuffed, as well as getting back up (i.e condit / hendricks fight). To much emphasis on takedowns in MMA now - you score a takedown and it wins you the round basically, it doesnt really matter what happened before, or after the takedown in most cases it seems.

it's an old argument, and different judges deal with it differently.

I'd say stuffing a takedown is absolutely octagon control, and when scoring is done correctly it's treated as such.
    But if the scoring system were revised, I'd love to see two stuffed TD's count as much as a TD...but then you run into scoring with fighters who feint a lot.

I don't get the analogy between stuffing a TD and blocking a strike. Throwing/blocking/checking a strike isn't going to take as much energy as committing to a TD or stuffing one. The age-old answer [from wrestlers] as to why the scoring system is so overly weighted to takedowns is that it takes so much energy, far more than throwing a strike. I can understand that, but blocking the effort from succeeding takes effort as well, and should be taken into account.

I've always thought takedowns are scored too highly in MMA. They're a means to an end, not an end in and of itself.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

What if the person goes in for the takedown with the idea of throwing a strike off of the "failed" attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    What if the person goes in for the takedown with the idea of throwing a strike off of the "failed" attempt?
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I'd say stuffing a takedown is absolutely octagon control, and when scoring is done correctly it's treated as such. But if the scoring system were revised, I'd love to see two stuffed TD's count as much as a TD...but then you run into scoring with fighters who feint a lot. ...
    rh
    I mentioned that already. It can be assimilated, but the judge is going to need to know what he's looking at. Again, if I were Supreme Overlord of MMA [after the exectutions] I'd look to have mandatory training and rating systems for officials in and out of the cage, and I'd be looking at an overhaul of the 10 point must system, for sure.

Feints would be dealt with, and contested, vs uncontested takedowns would be also be scored differently. In some fights, you get BJJ guys who don't even try to stop a takedown, they're simply maneuvering for position as soon as the aggressor commits, as they would for pulling guard. Diaz/Sanchez comes to mind, although I haven't rewatched that in ages to be sure about it.

In any case, I wouldn't score a TD against a fighter who isn't trying to stop it with the same gravity as I would a TD where a fighter is resisting. It would be similar to the difference of a significant strike and just a strike. It would still count, but not as much.

Much the same with fighters who advance from position to position without any discernable GnP or submission attempts [Sean Sherk, Clay Guida, I'm talking about you guys]. Sure, it would count, but not as much.

But dealing effectively with minor variables that won't occur very often is hard to imagine when you have too many judges who can't even deal with the more straightforward stuff they're seeing every day:

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    I forgot to type this before...Crosby is a clown. He's the guy who somehow had the first Penn/Edgar fight 40-45 in favor of Frankie, and then whined about it on the UG.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information