Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Hendricks' statement towards GSP (spoilers).

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

I forgot to type this before...Crosby is a clown. He's the guy who somehow had the first Penn/Edgar fight 40-45 in favor of Frankie, and then whined about it on the UG.

rh
    Makes you wonder how he still gets to judge meaningful fights. When i saw the score cards and seen that i was shocked to say the least. You may know the answer to this - as i am only going off what Dana has said in the past but is it actually true you can say to the commission you dont want a certain ref or judge working your fight? or is it only refs?

2. 03-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Makes you wonder how he still gets to judge meaningful fights. When i saw the score cards and seen that i was shocked to say the least. You may know the answer to this - as i am only going off what Dana has said in the past but is it actually true you can say to the commission you dont want a certain ref or judge working your fight? or is it only refs?
    I believe they are kind of stuck with whatever refs/judges show up when an athletic commission is running the show, but when they run events where there is no local commission they can bring in refs/judges of their choosing.

I know fighters have requested specific refs not work their fights (Lesnar) but I'm not sure if they have any true say in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I believe they are kind of stuck with whatever refs/judges show up when an athletic commission is running the show, but when they run events where there is no local commission they can bring in refs/judges of their choosing.

I know fighters have requested specific refs not work their fights (Lesnar) but I'm not sure if they have any true say in the matter.
    I think the commission can tell them to pound sand and put whomever they want in there. I remember it being a point of discussion that it would set a terrible precedent if they did it for lesnar...but they did it anyway, if I remember correctly.

Crosby hasf 15+ years of professional experience. He's going to be able to bring up 20 fights he didn't fuck up in for every one he did, and without any type of overarching governing body or a sanctioned rating system for officials, he's going to get more work than he deserves.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I think the commission can tell them to pound sand and put whomever they want in there. I remember it being a point of discussion that it would set a terrible precedent if they did it for lesnar...but they did it anyway, if I remember correctly.

Crosby hasf 15+ years of professional experience. He's going to be able to bring up 20 fights he didn't fuck up in for every one he did, and without any type of overarching governing body or a sanctioned rating system for officials, he's going to get more work than he deserves.

rh
    I actually worded that wrong in Lesnars case... he specifically asked that a referee (Mazagatti) not be in the ring for his fights based on what happened during the first match against Mir.

Georges St-Pierre replies to Johny Hendricks' calls for a rematch: 'Stick around for a bit'
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/3/18...-for-a-rematch
    "I was just watching it as a fan and it was a lot of fun," St-Pierre said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour.

"Personally I scored the fight to Johny Hendricks. I believe he had rounds one, two and five. Most people I know, they think it was (Robbie) Lawler that won the fight. It was a very tight fight though, it could've gone either way."

As a result of St-Pierre's decision to vacant his welterweight title and take an indefinite leave of absence from MMA, the belt was once again up for grabs, and Hendricks and Lawler engaged in a remarkable war of attrition for the right to succeed St-Pierre as UFC champion.

Much of the fight was spent inside the pocket, as both men traded heavy blows for 25 minutes. Hendricks ultimately took the judges' decision by a unanimous verdict, with two out of the three judges agreeing with St-Pierre's assessment and awarding Hendricks rounds one, two and five.

"I think it came down to the first round," St-Pierre said of the fight. "I believe Lawler, the rounds that he won, it was more decisively, and he did more damage on the face, but sometimes that doesn't mean anything.
    "Lawler had a lot of damage too, but you couldn't see the damage on the legs. Damage on the face sometimes is superficial, so that's one of the reasons I think Hendricks won the fight."

While the fireworks provided by Hendricks and Lawler made for an entertaining Saturday night, they did little to spark St-Pierre's interest in returning to the sport he dominated for close to a decade.

St-Pierre has made it no secret that he walked away from MMA due to what he perceives to be a rampant PED problem across the sport's landscape, as well as unspecified personal issues. And until those two matters can be addressed, St-Pierre expects to remain on the sidelines.

"When I fought Carlos Condit, I was really hungry," he said. "When I fought (Nick) Diaz, I was not as much hungry. When I fought Hendricks, my training camp, I was even less hungry, and I felt like I needed to step out to get some time to see if I want to do this or not again.

"For now, I don't want to do it. I needed to step out and stay out of the radar. That's one of the things I said. I didn't know if it was going to be six months, a year, a year and a half, I don't know. But right now, I don't feel like coming back right now. It's not right for me."

If anything, because of St-Pierre's exit, opportunity is now the name of the game for the UFC's welterweight division, as there are no shortage of contenders already staking their claim to Hendricks' belt.

And of course, St-Pierre's choice for No. 1 contender should come as no surprise.

"Rory MacDonald," St-Pierre said, referencing his longtime friend and Tristar training partner who recently rebounded with a convincing win at UFC 170.

"If very happy for Rory. He did an amazing fight against Demian Maia and he proved he's the No. 1 contender."

MacDonald, along with UFC 171 victors Hector Lombard and Tyron Woodley, wasted little time stating their cases for a title shot in the wake of Hendricks' win. Even Nick Diaz, the ubiquitous fan favorite who may be the division's biggest pay-per-view draw, announced his intention to end his self-imposed retirement and chase the belt.

Though if Hendricks has his wish, above all else, he'd prefer a rematch against St-Pierre. And because of the magic of The MMA Hour, he even got his chance to personally request one at the end of St-Pierre's interview.

"Listen, stick around for a bit and keep the title," St-Pierre replied. "We'll see what's going to happen in the sport. If some things change, maybe we'll get together again."

Georges is showing some class here, specifically if he feels/knows Hendricks is juicing, and that's what led to his departure.

But:

He wasn't hungry to fight Diaz? isn't that the spin that all GSP fans put on that bout when Georges was criticized for ducking Hendricks to face Nick? "It was personal, ooooohhh Georges just wanted to hurt Nick soooo baaaaaad."

But now he's like..".meh?"

?!?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Georges St-Pierre replies to Johny Hendricks' calls for a rematch: 'Stick around for a bit'
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/3/18...-for-a-rematch
    Henrdricks vs GSP 2 would be the best selling ppv in ages.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Georges is showing some class here, specifically if he feels/knows Hendricks is juicing, and that's what led to his departure.

But:

He wasn't hungry to fight Diaz? isn't that the spin that all GSP fans put on that bout when Georges was criticized for ducking Hendricks to face Nick? "It was personal, ooooohhh Georges just wanted to hurt Nick soooo baaaaaad."

?!?
    I really feel it was Zuffa who wanted to make the GSP/Diaz fight and were pushing Georges to go for it. GSP being a company man had to spew out all that BS to sell it.

Georges is showing some class here, ispecifically if he feels/knows Hendricks is juicing, and that's what led to his departure.

But:

?!?

rh
    Exactly that, SPIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I really feel it was Zuffa who wanted to make the GSP/Diaz fight and were pushing Georges to go for it. GSP being a company man had to spew out all that BS to sell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    Exactly that, SPIN.
    I could see that.

Doesn't make it suck any less, but I could see it.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information