Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 62

Thread: Hendricks' statement towards GSP (spoilers).

  1. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I could see that.

    Doesn't make it suck any less, but I could see it.

    rh
    It sucks because it's the only knock GSP ever had regarding "ducking" an opponent as he chose to fight Diaz instead of the more deserving Hendricks at that time. Yet, I strongly feel that this was Zuffa's decision. In the end, he somewhat made for it after the Diaz fight (during the post-fight press conference) by saying Hendricks is the rightful #1 contender now and he wants to fight him next. GSP has always fought who the UFC has put in front of him and hasn't complained one bit. I can't say that about many of the other champions or former champions.

    It also sucks because when guys like Aldo speak up about fighters like Lamas deserving it more than Pettis, he gets shitted on by the UFC brass, making Aldo look like he's scared.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,935

    Default

    It sucks that the most influential org in the industry--one that is virtually printing money--stoops to a weak money grab and drags one of their top employees down to their level.

    I get that it's a business, I understand that the point of businesses is to make money. I also understand the concept of integrity, and not stooping to shitty practice to make money, particularly when business is booming. It sucks that I once thought lorenzo would reel in dana's bullshit, but I can no longer convince myself that's ever going to happen.

    Georges gets credit for not complaining about that, and still trying to bridge the gap between making the industry better and a potential reconciliation with zuffa.


    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    Yeah, Bye.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PRONG View Post
    Since when is a late fight takedown by an exhausted fighter surprising or upsetting? Wrestling is a part of the sport and it didn't destroy the other 24-1/2 minutes of all out striking in my eyes. I witnessed an awesome fight from about 50 feet away and I am not disappointed.

    "Genuine fan" my ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by rahdeezy View Post
    Genuine yes.

    I have been a fan for years among years. This is a new breed of fighters. Never would you have seen BJ, Wand, Fedor etc hold on to dear life without any intention of advancing position for a victory. Don't forget that those are the fighters who built the sport. Along with those fighters were their fan base who gladly paid for their performances. Those fighters as well as their supporters are slowly leaving. Appreciating that style which brought the sport recognition doesn't make me a legitimate fan?

    Mark my words, all this "technicality" bs is what will kill the sport. With some of you, BJ Penn is overrated by default cause of his record. But yet, it is overlooked who he has fought across all weight classes. I appreciate the effort and what they put in. THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME A GENUINE FAN? I don't care about Wanderlei's record, I appreciated how he fights every night. THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME A GENUINE FAN? I don't care about who wins or loses. If Johny had left it all in the cage, I would have appreciated that. Instead he layed on Lawler for the safe win.

    Feel free to rebuttal on how you think I'm not a genuine fan when I tell you it's all about effort to me and not wins and losses.
    You mock my comments, then have nothing to say when I make a response.

    Genuine fan my ass huh?

  4. #54
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    It sucks that the most influential org in the industry--one that is virtually printing money--stoops to a weak money grab and drags one of their top employees down to their level.

    I get that it's a business, I understand that the point of businesses is to make money. I also understand the concept of integrity, and not stooping to shitty practice to make money, particularly when business is booming. It sucks that I once thought lorenzo would reel in dana's bullshit, but I can no longer convince myself that's ever going to happen.

    Georges gets credit for not complaining about that, and still trying to bridge the gap between making the industry better and a potential reconciliation with zuffa.


    rh
    Integrity and making money don't go together, look no further then the "BIG" companies that run the U.S of A. The UFC isn't high on that list but like any other company they will step on you to make an extra dollar.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    I really don't think someone should fault the UFC for their fighters fighting by the parameters set by the State Athletic Commissions.
    You have to know what you don't know.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty View Post
    I really don't think someone should fault the UFC for their fighters fighting by the parameters set by the State Athletic Commissions.
    Being the biggest and most influential name in the industry (by far) they certainly can have an effect in the way things are done.
    I have no doubt if the UFC decided they really wanted say the NSAC to change a rule or procedure it would be just a matter of a phone call for them to do it.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Being the biggest and most influential name in the industry (by far) they certainly can have an effect in the way things are done.
    I have no doubt if the UFC decided they really wanted say the NSAC to change a rule or procedure it would be just a matter of a phone call for them to do it.
    I'm sure they can influence, but I don't know of anything relating to a regulation change, on a statewide level, that was simply solved due to a phone call. But judges are given their criteria by the commission, not the UFC; they're not an employee of the UFC at all.
    You have to know what you don't know.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty View Post
    I'm sure they can influence, but I don't know of anything relating to a regulation change, on a statewide level, that was simply solved due to a phone call. But judges are given their criteria by the commission, not the UFC; they're not an employee of the UFC at all.
    I know this..

    How do the athletic commissions get paid though? By charging fees to the promoters who run events in their area.

    Money talks take away events from an athletic commission and they don't have income which means they get downsized which means some of those making decisions don't have a job anymore.

    Obviously Zuffa would never pull events from Nevada, but the point is they have the ability to influence the NSAC quite easily with the threat of doing so.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Georges is showing some class here, specifically if he feels/knows Hendricks is juicing, and that's what led to his departure.

    But:

    He wasn't hungry to fight Diaz? isn't that the spin that all GSP fans put on that bout when Georges was criticized for ducking Hendricks to face Nick? "It was personal, ooooohhh Georges just wanted to hurt Nick soooo baaaaaad."

    But now he's like..".meh?"

    ?!?



    rh
    Makes me wonder - had GSP fought Hendricks instead of Diaz, maybe GSP would have won in a more convincing fashion, since he theoretically (and by his own admission) would have been more motivated for the fight.

    Thinking along the same lines, since Hendricks said he wasn't fighting at maximum effort in order to last the full 5 rounds, GSP-Hendricks 2 (if it happens) might see them both fighting at their best. Would certainly be interesting to see...

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Integrity and making money don't go together, look no further then the "BIG" companies that run the U.S of A. The UFC isn't high on that list but like any other company they will step on you to make an extra dollar.
    Bullshit. That's a kneejerk response, and it isn't accurate. There are plenty of incredibly wealthy people with tremendous integrity, I've met many of who are generous donors to the university and who are rock solid.

    I know it's not the rule, but it doesn't have to be. The situation becomes sad when you have weak minded people who have the opportunity to capitalize on their lack of integrity to gain money...but it's tragic when you have people choose to subvert their integrity as a shorter route to money.

    I'd put dana and lorenzo in the former category, I'd put Georges as--at least approaching, if not crossing into--the latter, before he took his leave of absence. I understand he was a company man, but a lot of negativity has been perpetrated by people who were just doing their jobs when they knew that job wasn't morally right.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •