Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Condit suffered small meniscus tear and possible torn ACL

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I still think he can be champ in a post GSP WW division. I think he's got one more run in him.
    I disagree. I don't think anyone with poor TDD in this modern era of MMA can be a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I disagree. I don't think anyone with poor TDD in this modern era of MMA can be a champion.
    If his fight with Hendricks had been a 5 rounds he would have won. He could win the title but I don't think he would be able to hold onto it for very long.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Poor TDD? Gotta disagree. It's not the best by any stretch, but he doesn't have to worry about facing someone with the TDs of GSP. And before you say Tyron Woodley, I think Condit beats him in a rematch.

Condit can hang with and beat any WW in the world on any given night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Poor TDD? Gotta disagree. It's not the best by any stretch, but he doesn't have to worry about facing someone with the TDs of GSP. And before you say Tyron Woodley, I think Condit beats him in a rematch.

I think Hendricks still beats him most times but otherwise don't disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I think Hendricks still beats him most times but otherwise don't disagree
    I think Condit takes him in a 5 rounder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

It depends on if Hendricks goes 70 percent or not...
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

7. Default

Condit is one of the best, most well rounded fighters in the UFC, let alone the 170 lb division. I dont think there are many fighters who can keep up to him in a 5 round fight. I dont think there is anyone active at 170 lbs who I can say would beat Condit more often then not.

This is all pre-knee injury though. The Carlos that comes back may be a completely different animal then the killer we've grown accustomed to watching. If he comes back strong, another title run is very much in the cards. Id love to see him take a rematch with Kampmann for his comeback fight.

Before Hendricks last couple fights I would have agreed with you but he doesn't seem like his cardio is a big issue going into the championship rounds. I think it's always a close fight but Hendricks puts Condit on his back enough times to win on points more times then not.

I do think he has poor TDD. I go as far as saying that he has one of the poorest TDD for an elite level fighter. Anyone who has wanted to take Condit down, generally has gotten it from GSP to Hendricks to Kampmann to Woodley to Rory, etc. I agree Condit can hang with any one of them on any given night, which is one of the reasons he is an elite fighter. However, I think his TDD is too strong of a weakness that it can generally be exploited by the top tier fighters of the division.

And with respect to Tyron Woodley, it's possible Condit could win a rematch but in that 3 round affair, he would most likely have to finish Tyron (which is possible) as I think he would lose the first 2 rounds almost all the time.

As for how the Hendricks fight would have gone down had it been a 5 rounder, it's really tough to say. Hendricks trained for a 3 round fight and now he has had two 5-round fights under his belt. His preparation would be much stronger in terms of cardio and his strategy for a longer fight would be different.

Carlos Condit targets early 2015 return after complete ACL replacement
    “I was walking pretty much immediately,” Condit said of his March 29 surgery. “I was on crutches for a week or two; I had a brace for a little bit longer than that. Recovery is going well. It’s slow going. It’s a long process, but it’s going well.

“Seeing my peers coming back and doing as well or better than they did before they were injured – but it’s also the fact this happened in a fight. That gives me motivation.”

While injuries are never welcome, they are part of the MMA cycle and happen to essentially everyone. Unfortunately, this injury came at the worst time possible for Condit, as his fight with Woodley was the co-main event of a major pay-per-view and a victory would have arguably placed him in line for a title shot.

Condit tweaked his knee while attempting to defend a takedown and did his best to fight on one leg. The contest was stopped when Woodley kicked Condit’s supporting leg, causing him to collapse to the mat in agony.

Injuries of a similar nature aren’t seen all that often in competition, and while part of Condit believes it was a fluky occurrence; he also recognizes it was one of Woodley’s offensive moves that led to the damage.

“I think that it was a freak thing,” Condit said. “I’ve been taken down a hell of a lot of times in fights recently and that didn’t happen. It was a freak thing, but he won the fight. I’m not going to take the win away from him. But the knee injury, that would happen. You see guys step wrong and it happens. I don’t know. He initiated the takedown and I got hurt.”

Even though Condit has maintained high spirits through a crushing injury, he can’t help but feel a little left out of the welterweight fold. Since longtime titleholder Georges St-Pierre took a hiatus from competition this past December, the 170-pound division has evolved into one of the UFC’s most exciting weight classes.

Condit is unable to participate in any of that fun, something that has admittedly evolved into a source of discontent for the 30-year-old.

“It’s frustrating being out all-around,” Condit said. “Seeing Matt Brown going and getting the title eliminator fight (against Robbie Lawler) when I was supposed to fight him. Seeing all these guys that I’m in the mix with just moving up. I just have to watch as a spectator at this point and I have to focus of making myself better and getting to a place where I can compete again.”

While “The Natural Born Killer” has several targets on his hit list for when he’s finally deemed healthy, the opponent Condit wants a piece of most is Woodley. Even without the injury Condit is unhappy with his performance in that fight, and now he wants nothing more than the opportunity to redeem his performance.

“I’m going to get that rematch,” Condit said. “Whether it’s my first fight back or it’s down the road, I’ll get that rematch. I want to rematch everybody I’ve lost to. I’m 2-0 in rematches in my career or something like that.”

By no means does the loss to Woodley consume him, but Condit’s competitive spirits makes the outcome especially hard to stomach. Nevertheless, Condit will spend the months ahead focusing on rehabilitation with his target date for a return set for early next year.

The moment Condit is fit to compete, expect to see him back in the octagon with any of the top names in the loaded welterweight division.

“I’m definitely excited,” Condit said. “There’s a lot of excitement in the division right now and part of that is the guys I’m possibly going to be matched up against when I come back. It’s a good time to be involved in the division.”

I’m still trying to get that title belt. I still got some time to gain. I’m coming back better, I’m coming back stronger.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information