Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan's commentary

He was basically saying Diego's physical attributes weren't shit while simultaneously shitting on Lombard.

Joe said something like "if you could put Lombards body in Diegos head..."

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    As soon as I saw the thread title I knew what it was about and agreed...it was getting pretty annoying last night. He acted like it was a 100 % decisive decision which I don't agree with because the first round was really close and there could have possibly been some 10-10's in there.
    What's a 10-10? Unpossible.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    If you really want to judge a fight watch it with the commentary off.
    I've been doing that for the better part of a decade now. Cue up some great music, play it loud, and you won't miss anything.

I remember the first time I posted that on this board, and people got outraged. Funny.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Rogan defends on-air comments to critical fans
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...critical-fans/
    Rogan responded directly to all these comments today on the Underground:

Instead of posting in the many post UFC threads that people make complaining about me after an event I thought it might serve the spirit of discussion better if I start my own.

The main complaint I've heard about last night was that I didn't give Lombard enough credit. I LOVE that dude. He's scary as fuck, and when he's blitzkrieging you he's one of the most frightening motherfuckers on earth. That said, I think he only did enough to win on a night where he should have been trying to sell himself as a guy we want to see challenge for the title. He was clearly winning the fight, but his own corner was screaming at him to fight during the last round. Winning is certainly the most important thing for a fighter, and he certainly did that. No one has ever handled Jake the way Hector did. His judo was a thing of beauty. I just think he coasted too much in an important showcase fight.

Picking Rory over the other contenders to challenge for the title next was another complaint. The production had a list of fighters that are listed in the top contenders that they wanted me to pick one guy to challenge the title after the end of the event. It's only my opinion and it certainly doesn't mean that fighter will get the next shot. The reason I went with Rory is what I stated: I thought Woodley looked awesome, but the reality is Carlos blew his knee out on the take down and then it gave out when Tyron kicked him. Tyron was really impressive in the opening of the 1st with his insane speed and ability to close the distance and I would LOVE to see him fight anyone. For the title or not. The guy is a stud. It was just my opinion given the information in front of me after that event that if I had to choose one guy I would have to go wih Rory.

No one asked me to choose Rory, no one pressured me in any way or influenced me in any way. It's just my opinion. I would love to see Dong Hyun Kim in the mix as well. They didn't have him on the short list of guys, but I would like to see him fight any of the people I just mentioned, for the title or not. Matt Brown is another guy in the mix. He hurt his back recently, but I'm hoping he can heal up and get back in the running.

Anyway, I want to say I always appreciate the feedback from you guys because you motherfuckers are the real hard core fans and I'm one of you. I value your opinion as a whole very much. We might not all agree on certain things but I think that the one thing we all have in common here for the most part is that we're all hard core MMA fans and I feel it is a great honor to have the privelige of repersenting us. The feedback from fans and especially the feedback from this forum in particular has made me a much better commentator, and positive or negative I appreciate it very much.

Also an interesting little tidbit, someone said I seemed "off" at the weigh ins, and there's kind of a funny story to that. There was some sort of an audio glitch and for the first half of the weigh ins there was the spanish broadcast blaring in my ear and the production truck couldn't talk to me. No one could figure out what was going on either. It's weird enough to try to talk when people speaking your own language are talking in your ear, but it's extra fucked to try to talk when you're hearing Spanish and you're speaking English. So if I looked confused, that's what was up

That was a very genuine response by Rogan however it doesn't really change the fact that his commentary has become extremely biased. He states that he is hardcore fan, which is probably where the problem lies. He needs to be more of a color commentator and less of a fan during the broadcasts.

It was great that he addressed it so maturely and showed his appreciation to the hard core fans, two things the UFC president would never do. Dana would have sent some profanity filled rant and shit on the hard core fans telling them to get a life while he finds a new way to rape their wallets and try to cater only to new fans.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I used to be a fan of Rogan's commentary before, primarily for the raw excitement that he displays in his commentary, but honestly his favoritism (or criticism) towards certain fighters is getting ridiculous. Yesterday was a prime example. He was hanging off of Johny Hendricks' nuts pretty badly. He made it look like Johny was killing Lawler in the first 2 rounds where the rounds were much closer than the commentary suggested. Also, in rounds 3 and 4, even though he was stating that Lawler was connecting, he still gave too much credit to some of Hendricks' weak counters.

Another example [from yesterday], is his over-criticism of Lombard. I, as well as many fans and the media, thought Lombard did a good job in his fight against Shields. Sure, he did take his foot off the gas in the last round but make no mistake, he clearly dominated a very game and dangerous opponent and was never in any trouble until the last 10 seconds of the fight.

I think his worst nuthuggery in recent memory was for Ben Henderson against Josh Thomson. You would've thought that Bendo was whooping Josh's ass in the fight but majority of the people (except the judges) thought that Josh won that fight.

Agreed, I made the point at the beginning of the second round that he was all over Johnny's balls. He should certainly tone down the favoritism while he commentates. I still enjoy what he does for the most part though.

Honestly, I could give two donkey shits who he hypes up and plays favorites with. It doesn't affect the way I watch the fight at all. I can multi-task. Maybe that comes with being married. I can still concentrate on a football game while still hearing every word my wife is yapping at me. I like Joe Rogan and I like his commentary. I just don't take it as gospel.

Joe Rogan is worse than Goldberg at this point.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Three things strike me about Joe Rogan's commentary :

1) He is COMPLETELY biased. It's unfortunate... but he seems to decide who the better fighter is BEFORE the fight happens... and his subsequent commentary is sort of filtered through that bias.

2) Does Goldie HATE Joe... off camera?! Cause whenever Goldie makes a comment, Joe's standard reply is to either contradict what Goldie says... or simply ignore the comment entirely (leaving Goldie's comment sort of flapping in the breeze of an awkward 5 second silence) Oh!... or he just cuts him off mid sentence.

3) Is EVERY really good fight REALLY the "greatest fight you've ever seen in your life!?" Really??? I know it's exciting cage side, Joe. But you really do need to reserve those kinds of statements for special occassions... and not use that line every other pay per view.

My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dirten View Post
    2) Does Goldie HATE Joe... off camera?! Cause whenever Goldie makes a comment, Joe's standard reply is to either contradict what Goldie says... or simply ignore the comment entirely (leaving Goldie's comment sort of flapping in the breeze of an awkward 5 second silence) Oh!... or he just cuts him off mid sentence.
    My two cents.
    I really don't think he hates Joe. If anything it is the exact opposite. Goldberg is enamored is Joe. Any time you see them together on Mike is always giving Joe a very creepy look.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Thread Information