Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Joe Rogan's commentary

Didnt like dan hardy on the mic for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    To many mistakes and seemed a little less then polished.
    Well it was their first time.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Morning Report: Tyron Woodley calls Joe Rogan's UFC 171 commentary 'horrendous,' feels he's being punished for being in shape
    Justified or not, Woodley says critiques of his endurance are being unfairly attributed to his muscular physique.

"It's almost like they're punishing you for training hard," Woodley told MMA Mental. "They're punishing you for being physically fit. I think Joe Rogan is horrendous for his commentary that he did for that fight. Everything was, 'Oh, Tyron threw a hard bomb but Carlos took it. He's got such a great chin. Oh, Tyron has a takedown. Look at Carlos. He's doing the mission impossible guard [mission control].' Everything that I did he was leaning it towards the credit of Carlos Condit.

"I think sometimes when you watch a fight and you listen to the commentary you can kind of veer the spectators, and hopefully not the UFC, in directions it shouldn't be going."

While Rogan was overtly complimentary of Woodley during the opening moments of the bout, his first mention of Woodley's pace came just two minutes into Round 1 by comparing Woodley to a muscle car, saying, "It's fun to hit that gas, but you're not going to make it to Vegas." Rogan reinforced that notion a minute later, saying, "Woodley's slowing down already." Rogan's counterpart, Mike Goldberg, opened Round 2 saying, "Let's keep an eye on the cardio of Tyron Woodley and the technique of Carlos Condit." Rogan replied, "You can see his stomach moving. He's taking some deep breaths. It's certainly not the Tyron Woodley that came out in the first round, fresh."

Rogan's commentary flows seamlessly with how he seemed to characterize Woodley during his UFC 171 preview leading up to the event. "So many things make [Woodley] dangerous," said Rogan. "His athleticism. His Power. His ridiculous speed. His excellent wrestling."

"I was not wincing," says Woodley. "I was not in any harm or any danger at any point in the fight. My cardio felt great and it was even in my gameplan to increase the level in the third round. I wasn't even at full speed. People say, 'He started off hard! He started off in a full sprint!' I didn't even start off in a full sprint. If they think that's a full sprint for me, then I'm happy with it because they haven't seen a full sprint yet."

I'm with sniggles, I'd dont have a problem with Rogan's opinion of fighters because it doesn't effect my own interpretation of what I'm viewing. I like contrasting his commentary with my own assessment but I'm not expecting to agree with him what I've always expected was to hear his opinion. He's a knowledgeable commentator who is entitled to his opinion and I thought commentators were supposed to share their opinions. As an added bonus Joe is able to describe the action inside the Octagon to novice viewers which I always felt was supposed to be a shared responsibility between the play-by-play guy and the color commentator. Goldie's more of an on-screen extension of the production team. Meanwhile, Rogan's been acting in dual capacity for a long time, he's a dual persona of Bill Walton (color commentator)and Steve "snapper" Jones (play-by-play) while Goldberg is his Bob Costas as opposed to his Marv Albert. I tried really hard not to make a wrasslin analogy so I hope you guys watched the NBA on NBC in the 90s like I did.

Jessie Ventura & Gorilla Monsoon/Tony Schiavone?

you forgot to give a shout out to Bobby "the brain" Heenan, its sacrilege to mention Monsoon without the brain. Mike Goldberg is like the long forgotten Todd Pettengill, Schiavone was WCW you can't mix'em but I'll still rep ya

Quote Originally Posted by mmawolverine View Post
    you forgot to give a shout out to Bobby "the brain" Heenan, its sacrilege to mention Monsoon without the brain. Mike Goldberg is like the long forgotten Todd Pettengill, Schiavone was WCW you can't mix'em but I'll still rep ya
    You are right, but there have been so many commentators in rasslin' that I know I've left a few out... including the best of them all, Gordon Solie and Jim Ross!

But for biased commentators... I think that Jessie has been the best of 'em... (speaking of Rogan)

Sorry... rasslin' is/was a big reason why I got into MMA...

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Well it was their first time.
    Oh I know but the one guy came off like he'd never done that kind of work before and said some dumb stuff.

Thread Information