Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diaz ready for UFC return, calls out Hendricks

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    sorry 9 days to be exact. my mistake.
    Seriously though, what PPV fight did Sonnen take on 9 days notice then to save the card?

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Seriously though, what PPV fight did Sonnen take on 9 days notice then to save the card?
    The UFC 151 card against Jones that was scrapped.

People only bring up Sonnen's name as if he was the only one throwing his name in the hat. Both Vitor and Weidman also offered to fight Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post

People only bring up Sonnen's name as if he was the only one throwing his name in the hat. Both Vitor and Weidman also offered to fight Jones.
    So, the fight Sonnen stepped up for to save a PPV never even happened??? Hmmmm, that feels more like an opportunistic reach than a "cowboy-up" moment, especially since he knew Hendo would be bowing out due to a knee injury, started cranking on Jones to start a beef knowing that there was a very good possibility of the fight not happening.....and when UFC had a moment to step back and actually book the fight, they offered it to Machida, then Belfort with Sonnen not even in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    So, the fight Sonnen stepped up for to save a PPV never even happened??? Hmmmm, that feels more like an opportunistic reach than a "cowboy-up" moment, especially since he knew Hendo would be bowing out due to a knee injury, started cranking on Jones to start a beef knowing that there was a very good possibility of the fight not happening.....and when UFC had a moment to step back and actually book the fight, they offered it to Machida, then Belfort with Sonnen not even in the mix.
    That's the thing. It is very opportunistic. The people who stepped up were Belfort, Sonnen and Weidman who literally had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Those three had a chance at the LHW title and would not have lost their position in the MW division. The guys who rejected the title shot was Machida and Shogun, who would've been going in with 2 weeks against a guy who already dominated them. Losing to Jones would've been likely their last shot at the LHW title.

Let's not forget that Anderson also stepped up to save their PPV but against another LHW who wasn't training for the PPV. To me, he was actually truly trying to save the PPV but tried to make it a little bit more even. He had nothing to gain unlike the 3 MWs.

if i do recall they offered to step up AFTER the card was scrapped. Easy to voice your opinion once the card is already scrapped.

if i do recall they offered to step up AFTER the card was scrapped. Easy to voice your opinion once the card is already scrapped.
    Nope. They offered to fight before the card was scrapped. The reports that they did offer to fight came after the card was scrapped.

Nope. They offered to fight before the card was scrapped. The reports that they did offer to fight came after the card was scrapped.
    BOOM roasted
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

my mistake then.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    BOOM roasted
    yeah, he sure got me....?

Last edited by BonesKnows; 03-18-2014 at 02:09 AM.

I think the most embarrassing part of this is the fact that you used a gif of kayne west as a rebuttal...

my mistake then.

yeah, he sure got me....?

Were those fights offered to Jones before the card was cancelled.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Thread Information