Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you think Hendricks gets next?

Man, I really thought we would know the #1 contender after the PPV but I guess not. There's an asterisk next to each person's name:

[1] Woodley - He just beat the #2 guy in the division but unfortunately it was a takedown that hurt Condit and not a strike, a submission or a slam. A takedown, although offensive is not meant to do any damage so it will be considered a freak injury (much like Coleman's victory over Shogun). This takes away from Woodley's win, which is quite unfortunate because he was doing well with his power and speed.

[2] Lombard - I thought Lombard did well. He blitzed Shields in the first round and although took his foot off the gas, still dominated Shields, who is extremely hard to dominate much less win against. I really thought what hurt Lombard is the commentary. Imagine if Rogan was on his nuts saying "think about it folks, he is dominating Jake Shields in every aspect of the game which is hard to do, and looks like a contender for the belt" but instead we heard nearly 10 minutes of criticism. This hurts the marketability of the fight.

[3] Rory - He has the skills obviously and I do think he's a future title contender. He's also very marketable with his awkward personality and being GSP's protege. However, he is on a one fight winning streak where he was dominated in the first round of the Maia fight and previous to that, lost to Robbie and won a lackluster fight against Ellenberger. Rory really would need another win under his belt to get a title shot in my eyes.

[4] Diaz - Please no. He does not deserve it at all. I don't know how anyone can make a case for him. He hasn't won a fight since October 2011 and lost two shots at the title after, where in the latter shot against GSP, he did nothing!

[5] Kim - He's on a 4-fight win streak against some decent competition but no one is in the top 10, so no. The guys above have all beaten top 10 competition. Kim hasn't even beaten top 15. They deserve it more regardless of the streak.

[6] Saffiedine - He's on a 5-fight win streak. If he beats Ellenberger, his name is in the mix but his marketability will hurt him.

So pretty much, the answer is that I still don't know. It has to go to one of the first 3 in my eyes and I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC announced any of the 3. The other option is that they make a #1 contender fight with 2 of the 3 and the winner faces Johny. This may not be a surprise given Hendricks injured his elbow and may be out until Sep/Oct.

I didn't know about his injury. Definitely would like to see a couple match ups to determine number 1.

With that said, where does Robbie go from his title match? One has to think he's "in the mix" with just one more win cnsidering how he's revitalized his career and how close he was to taking the title home.

Plus Dana loves fights like the one they put on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    I didn't know about his injury. Definitely would like to see a couple match ups to determine number 1.

With that said, where does Robbie go from his title match? One has to think he's "in the mix" with just one more win cnsidering how he's revitalized his career and how close he was to taking the title home.

Plus Dana loves fights like the one they put on Saturday.
    Has to be against Nick Diaz in my eyes. That has history and fireworks written all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Man, I really thought we would know the #1 contender after the PPV but I guess not. There's an asterisk next to each person's name:

[1] Woodley - He just beat the #2 guy in the division but unfortunately it was a takedown that hurt Condit and not a strike, a submission or a slam. A takedown, although offensive is not meant to do any damage so it will be considered a freak injury (much like Coleman's victory over Shogun). This takes away from Woodley's win, which is quite unfortunate because he was doing well with his power and speed.

[2] Lombard - I thought Lombard did well. He blitzed Shields in the first round and although took his foot off the gas, still dominated Shields, who is extremely hard to dominate much less win against. I really thought what hurt Lombard is the commentary. Imagine if Rogan was on his nuts saying "think about it folks, he is dominating Jake Shields in every aspect of the game which is hard to do, and looks like a contender for the belt" but instead we heard nearly 10 minutes of criticism. This hurts the marketability of the fight.

[3] Rory - He has the skills obviously and I do think he's a future title contender. He's also very marketable with his awkward personality and being GSP's protege. However, he is on a one fight winning streak where he was dominated in the first round of the Maia fight and previous to that, lost to Robbie and won a lackluster fight against Ellenberger. Rory really would need another win under his belt to get a title shot in my eyes.

[4] Diaz - Please no. He does not deserve it at all. I don't know how anyone can make a case for him. He hasn't won a fight since October 2011 and lost two shots at the title after, where in the latter shot against GSP, he did nothing!

[5] Kim - He's on a 4-fight win streak against some decent competition but no one is in the top 10, so no. The guys above have all beaten top 10 competition. Kim hasn't even beaten top 15. They deserve it more regardless of the streak.

[6] Saffiedine - He's on a 5-fight win streak. If he beats Ellenberger, his name is in the mix but his marketability will hurt him.

So pretty much, the answer is that I still don't know. It has to go to one of the first 3 in my eyes and I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC announced any of the 3. The other option is that they make a #1 contender fight with 2 of the 3 and the winner faces Johny. This may not be a surprise given Hendricks injured his elbow and may be out until Sep/Oct.
    There is also Matt Browne who is right up there if he beats Silva.

Edit:

What is exciting about that list is no one has fought anyone else on it. There are so many potential match ups and I would be excited for anyone of them. This is going be a great year for the WW division.
    Last edited by kalebarker; 03-17-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

My guess is the UFC names a contender who "gets hurt" and Diaz steps up at the last minute.

If all fails hell they could get BJ to step in again.

In all serious though I would like to see Rory take another fight maybe against Lombard winner gets Hendricks. Lawler can fight Woodly. The problem is how long would Hendricks have to wait for any of this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    This is what I didn't get. I don't watch fights with the sound on, and--although I lost 50$ on it--I thought Lombard was the natural #1 contender after beating Jake so soundly. I mean, Georges didn't beat Jake that soundly.

Anyone who can, go back and watch that fight again, but without commentary.

Hector was a monster at MW--at 5'10" or something. The only losses he's had were close-if-not-controversial splits against guys who were all solidly ranked at least top 10. Rory will probably get the nod, but that would be wrong.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    This is what I didn't get. I don't watch fights with the sound on, and--although I lost 50$ on it--I thought Lombard was the natural #1 contender after beating Jake so soundly. I mean, Georges didn't beat Jake that soundly.

Anyone who can, go back and watch that fight again, but without commentary.

Hector was a monster at MW--at 5'10" or something. The only losses he's had were close-if-not-controversial splits against guys who were all solidly ranked at least top 10. Rory will probably get the nod, but that would be wrong.

rh
    They are not going to be giving the guy they have ranked #12 a title shot after beating the # 5 guy I do not think. I think the title shot is Tarec's to lose.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    They are not going to be giving the guy they have ranked #12 a title shot after beating the # 5 guy I do not think. I think the title shot is Tarec's to lose.
    A major issue blocking Tarec from getting a shot is going to be exposure, since his only UFC bout was with Lim and seen by only the hardcores. Even with a win over Ellenberger, he's coming off that fairly one-sided Rory bout.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    There is also Matt Browne who is right up there if he beats Silva.

Edit:

What is exciting about that list is no one has fought anyone else on it. There are so many potential match ups and I would be excited for anyone of them. This is going be a great year for the WW division.
    True. There is Matt Brown as well and one would think he is ahead of Kim in the UFC's eyes. They booked a real stupid match with Erick Silva. How does one go from being booked against the #2 fighter (at that time) in Condit to not even top 15, Erick Silva, who was knocked out stupidly by Kim?

Good point that no one on that list has fought each other, with the exception of Woodley and Saffiedine.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    A major issue blocking Tarec from getting a shot is going to be exposure, since his only UFC bout was with Lim and seen by only the hardcores. Even with a win over Ellenberger, he's coming off that fairly one-sided Rory bout.
    Exactly. I don't think Tarec gets a title shot with a win over Ellenberger because of 1) lack of exposure, and 2) Ellenberger's stock is much lower after the Rory bout.

As long as it's not Nick Diaz I won't complain to much.

I really don't see the UFC wanting to push Rory into a title fight at this point because if he wins that certainly makes it unlikely GSP would come back anytime soon.

Thread Information