Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who do you think Hendricks gets next?

Conduit just gets better the longer the fight goes.

Didnt see the look. I thought he had a good game face.

I still think Woodley is the best matchup. Rory vs Hendricks is a dull match, because when Hendricks can't get a 1st round knockout, he tends to stop lunging in aggressively anymore and stick to a slightly more conservative strategy, and Rory will just keep distance and pick his shots every once in a while using his reach advantage. Woodley is aggressive enough that he would be the one charging Hendricks, and Hendricks doesn't have the instinct to get the takedown when an opponent is charging in like GSP did - instead he'll try to weather it or counter, and the result will be a very exciting fight.

I'd match up Rory and Lombard for the winner of Woodley vs Hendricks. Rory will look for the takedowns when Lombard strikes early, and if Lombard can't land anything heavy in the first 1.5 rounds, he may gas, which would give Rory the chance to use his more technical striking. If he does land something heavy, Rory will wilt, and Lombard cements himself as top contender after two solid wins.

I'd really like to see Shields vs Brown - the strong ground game vs the wild striker. I don't believe Brown's wrestling or ground game has really been challenged too much yet, and this would either expose him or show that he's for real.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    I want to believe that, but he looked pretty shocked at how hard he was getting hit, and it was taking effect. Hard to stick to a gameplan when you are getting hit that hard.
    I dunno man, I think he could've handled Woodley's power, he handled Hendricks power quite well and the only way Hendricks won that fight was with his takedowns. At the end of the first Condit landed a nice kick and in the 2nd was really finding his range with his combos before he got hurt. Woodley was looking somewhat gassed in the 2nd. Without the injury Condit would've made it real interesting.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

Lombard is getting the next shot, the UFC has invested too much $ in him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Lombard is getting the next shot, the UFC has invested too much $ in him.
    I don't know. I think there are a lot of GSP fans who want Rory to get the next shot, and Lombard might still be viewed by the casuals as a bust from his tour at MW. A win over Shields is problematic for a number of reasons: ignorant fans don't realize how great Jake is; they view his as boring and thus discount his grappling. In addition to that, you've got rogan discrediting Hector throughout the fight--even though he dominated Jake more than Georges did.

Those three concerns [Lombard's MW reputation, Jake not being seen as a credible opponent, misrepresentation of the fight itself] don't equate into PPV sales.

It wouldn't surprise me if zuffa doesn't simply give the shot to Rory--which I catagorically disagree with--because he's going to do middling-to-good PPV sales without anymore buildup than he's already got. But if you have Woodley face Lombard, they can really do a buildup to make the winner of that fight sell PPVs in a title match.

I'll never agree with picking a contender based on sales, but the question of who deserves it most is so close that it wouldn't be a complete travesty if any of them got it...and I think the combined buy rates of a Hendricks/MacDonald PPV and then have the winner of that face the winner of Lombard/Woodley outsells any other combo of the four fighters right now.

The winner of Saffadine/Ellenberger probably isn't as deep in the mix as they should be. The fight won't take place for another 6 weeks...I think you're going to see the winner of that--particularly if it's Jake--face either Robbie or the loser of one of the other two bouts.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I don't know. I think there are a lot of GSP fans who want Rory to get the next shot, and Lombard might still be viewed by the casuals as a bust from his tour at MW. A win over Shields is problematic for a number of reasons: ignorant fans don't realize how great Jake is; they view his as boring and thus discount his grappling. In addition to that, you've got rogan discrediting Hector throughout the fight--even though he dominated Jake more than Georges did.

Those three concerns [Lombard's MW reputation, Jake not being seen as a credible opponent, misrepresentation of the fight itself] don't equate into PPV sales.

It wouldn't surprise me if zuffa doesn't simply give the shot to Rory--which I catagorically disagree with--because he's going to do middling-to-good PPV sales without anymore buildup than he's already got. But if you have Woodley face Lombard, they can really do a buildup to make the winner of that fight sell PPVs in a title match.

I'll never agree with picking a contender based on sales, but the question of who deserves it most is so close that it wouldn't be a complete travesty if any of them got it...and I think the combined buy rates of a Hendricks/MacDonald PPV and then have the winner of that face the winner of Lombard/Woodley outsells any other combo of the four fighters right now.

The winner of Saffadine/Ellenberger probably isn't as deep in the mix as they should be. The fight won't take place for another 6 weeks...I think you're going to see the winner of that--particularly if it's Jake--face either Robbie or the loser of one of the other two bouts.

rh
    I think a lot of it is going to depend on the buy rate of 171. If it does really well, hell I wouldn't be surprised if they give Robbie a rematch for a quick cash grab while the rest of the division sorts itself out.

I'd be happy to see Woodley get the next shot and Lombard/MacDonald fight for #1 contender.

I think the winner of Saffadine/Ellenberger should still be a bit off. Aside from the Shields win a few years back, both guys have their biggest win being Nate, which isn't as well regarded as it once was.

I would honestly like to see Woodley get the next crack at the belt. With his speed, power and strength I could see him getting the belt off of Hendricks. If Lawler would have had a little more gas in the tank he could have finished off Hendricks in the 4th round. The big concern for Woodley is him not blowing himself up from swinging for the fences.

But like others have said the UFC has pretty much told us who'll be getting the next shot with their Rory montage at the closing.

maybe not with this injury news. If Hendricks is going to be out until the fall (total guess), that would leave time for a MacDonald/Lombard #1 contender fight. And then have Woodley fight the winner of Silva/Brown for next dibs.

I'm just gonna throw this out there, if aj wins Davis then I think he should be given the chance to cut down and fight for the title! Right? Lol

Thread Information