Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Who do you think Hendricks gets next?

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    maybe not with this injury news. If Hendricks is going to be out until the fall (total guess), that would leave time for a MacDonald/Lombard #1 contender fight. And then have Woodley fight the winner of Silva/Brown for next dibs.
    Are you saying Silva would be next in line to fight Woodley if he beat brown? I would throw Kim in there. I would be ok with Brown fighting Woodley for next in line, but would think Silva would need another fight, maybe avenge that kim loss.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I think a lot of it is going to depend on the buy rate of 171. If it does really well, hell I wouldn't be surprised if they give Robbie a rematch for a quick cash grab while the rest of the division sorts itself out.
    I think even if UFC 171 does a million buys (obviously it won't, just wanted to give an extreme estimate), Robbie won't get a rematch. Neither Zuffa, the fans, the media, commentators, judges or the fighters cried for a rematch. Sure some people may have scored it for Robbie but it was the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I don't know. I think there are a lot of GSP fans who want Rory to get the next shot, and Lombard might still be viewed by the casuals as a bust from his tour at MW. A win over Shields is problematic for a number of reasons: ignorant fans don't realize how great Jake is; they view his as boring and thus discount his grappling. In addition to that, you've got rogan discrediting Hector throughout the fight--even though he dominated Jake more than Georges did.

Those three concerns [Lombard's MW reputation, Jake not being seen as a credible opponent, misrepresentation of the fight itself] don't equate into PPV sales.

It wouldn't surprise me if zuffa doesn't simply give the shot to Rory--which I catagorically disagree with--because he's going to do middling-to-good PPV sales without anymore buildup than he's already got. But if you have Woodley face Lombard, they can really do a buildup to make the winner of that fight sell PPVs in a title match.

I'll never agree with picking a contender based on sales, but the question of who deserves it most is so close that it wouldn't be a complete travesty if any of them got it...and I think the combined buy rates of a Hendricks/MacDonald PPV and then have the winner of that face the winner of Lombard/Woodley outsells any other combo of the four fighters right now.

The winner of Saffadine/Ellenberger probably isn't as deep in the mix as they should be. The fight won't take place for another 6 weeks...I think you're going to see the winner of that--particularly if it's Jake--face either Robbie or the loser of one of the other two bouts.
    This is along the lines I was thinking.

However, now that reports have come out that Hendricks is getting surgery for his torn bicep and also that he has a hairline fracture, he definitely isn't returning until the fall sometime (most likely around October). I think they make a definitive #1 contender fight. The question is which combination of the 3 are they going to go for. Given that Lombard and Woodley train at ATT, I think they pick one of them against Rory. I have a feeling it goes to Woodley because he beat the #1 contender in Condit and he easily has been the most vocal, which we have seen does pay dividends. Lombard, I feel, is going to face Diaz or the winner of Ellenberger/Saffiedine.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Are you saying Silva would be next in line to fight Woodley if he beat brown? I would throw Kim in there. I would be ok with Brown fighting Woodley for next in line, but would think Silva would need another fight, maybe avenge that kim loss.
    Yea you could throw Kim in there right now too. After Hendricks, there's about 4 or 5 fighters that aren't separated by too much at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Lombard is older so he has less time left in his career AND his last 2 wins are Woodley's last 2 losses.
    Talk is cheap...because supply exceeds demand.

immediate rematch with Lawler or pull Matt Brown from the E.Silva matchup and give him the title fight. Mike Pyle can take E. Silva's lunch money instead. I wouldn't be mad if Lombard got the shot but the shorts grabber (Woodley) needs to shut up.

I think the shot should clearly be Matt Brown's. Rory is on a one fight winning streak, granted he was on a nice streak before his split decision loss, but a loss is a loss, and he should be behind a guy on a 6 fight win streak. Woodley is on a 2 fight win streak, and is 3-2 in his last 5, which also should be behind a 6 fight win streak. Has Brown beaten the names the other 2 have? No, but that's not his fault, it's the UFC's for not rewarding streaks often enough. You can tell when they like somebody, take Bader, they love that guy, every time he strings 2 wins together, he gets a top guy, and if/when he finally gets over the hump, he will probably be fighting for the belt. Guys like Brown, that they aren't in love with, have to put 5 or 6 or 7 or 35, if you're Fitch, before they can't be ignored anymore. A 3 fight streak should warrant a top ranked opponent, and a win over him should either get a title shot, or get a #1 contenders bout. There should have to be a damn good reason for why a guy has 5 in a row, and isn't getting a title shot, that division should have to be crowded as shit. They have no problem giving shots to loud mouths, why ignore guys who put together actual streaks, just because the UFC didn't have a plan for them because they weren't loud mouths.

Please before you try to argue with me, take a second, and realize that this is a thread about the currently retired, on a losing streak Nick Diaz getting a title shot.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Matt Brown might have f'd it up with that topless comment from a few months back but you never know maybe the UFC will change their mind

Kos: UFC will get GSP back as Hendricks can't sell PPVs
    "I buy [St-Pierre returning this year]," said Koscheck as transcribed by MMATorch. "He's got a lot of money, so I don't think he cares either way. Here's the reason he'll fight, though. Even though the UFC and St-Pierre have a little bit of a grudge match going on right now, the UFC is going to suck up its ego and pay St-Pierre to come back."

"The UFC is losing money at 170 pounds because Johny Hendricks isn't going to sell pay-per-views. We know that. GSP is the pay-per-view king. The UFC will offer him something to come back and fight again. I can guarantee you that. It's all about the money."

"How in the hell would they give Nick Diaz a title fight coming off two losses in a row? I should fight for the title if that's the case. You question the sport if things like that happen. That doesn't look good for the sport if Diaz is next in line for the title. Rory MacDonald, Tyron Woodley - those are good candidates for being next in line for the title."
    "I buy [St-Pierre returning this year]," said Koscheck as transcribed by MMATorch. "He's got a lot of money, so I don't think he cares either way. Here's the reason he'll fight, though. Even though the UFC and St-Pierre have a little bit of a grudge match going on right now, the UFC is going to suck up its ego and pay St-Pierre to come back."

"The UFC is losing money at 170 pounds because Johny Hendricks isn't going to sell pay-per-views. We know that. GSP is the pay-per-view king. The UFC will offer him something to come back and fight again. I can guarantee you that. It's all about the money."

"How in the hell would they give Nick Diaz a title fight coming off two losses in a row? I should fight for the title if that's the case. You question the sport if things like that happen. That doesn't look good for the sport if Diaz is next in line for the title. Rory MacDonald, Tyron Woodley - those are good candidates for being next in line for the title."

Rory, Lombard and Woodley are the best options.

Lombard vs Woodley would be a nice fight. It would be like a fight between 2 bodybuilders
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information