+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bellator CEO talks Curran/Pitbull/Straus & why there is so much neg. Bellator press

Default Bellator CEO talks Curran/Pitbull/Straus & why there is so much neg. Bellator press

Bellator CEO talks Curran/Pitbull/Straus and why there is so much negative Bellator press
    Q: Is there a conflict between the Curran/Straus/Pitbull matchmaking and the tournament format, and will Bellator move away from tournaments?

Rebney: Look, Straus became Straus out of the tournament, Curran became Curran out of the tournament. That's the case with all of these guys. I don't ever want to forget the evolutionary process that gave us Daniel Straus, and that's the tournament.

So what I have to do is I have to be cognizant mathematically of not over-tournamenting certain weight classes like we have here. Straus and Curran and Pitbull are three of the best Featherweights on earth so the opportunity to do fights with those guys is something I'm going to take advantage of because they deserve it. So what I've got to do is potentially slow down the tournaments at 145 to give these fights a chance to work themselves out and then start it up again. It's about seeing what's happening and being able to react accordingly.

But I'm never going to turn away from the tournament because that's literally where we get Daniel from, that's where we get Chandler from. So no.

What about season 8 winner Frodo Khasbulaev, who has not fought in Bellator in a year?

[Frodo] still can't get the visa cleared. He's a wickedly talented fighter but he's just not in the mix because he can't get in the country. He can't even get into Canada. So there's nothing we can do with Frodo right now except hope and wait and have our attorneys work with his attorneys and try to get through the immigration process, which is a tough situation.

Will we see Pitbull vs. Curran on the PPV?

[Straus vs. Curran] was a grueling fight for Pat and it's only two months out so I am not sure I want to ask him to make that turnaround. Pitbull is a monster... Pat can't be fighting in 2 months against a guy like Pitbull.

Our talent team has done an incredible job proposing [PPV] fights to me, but I wanted to get past Alvarez vs. Chandler and Mo vs. Rampage and then we'll start to fill in the spots from there.

Why do you think Bellator draws such a negative reaction from many in the online community?

I don't know. I think the UFC has ruled MMA with an iron fist for many, many years and there are a lot of people whose lifeblood is connected to the UFC. Very few people are willing to say anything that conflicts or confronts the UFC mantra and philosophy.

It's never, ever easy to be the guy chasing the #1 and trying to take over that #1 spot. That's a very difficult fight and it's a fight that we have legitimately now been engaged in for about a year plus. Before that we were just another player in the space and nobody really knew us. We had this cool tournament format and a few good fighters and everyone was like "yeah, ok there's some good fights in Bellator." But over the last year since we launched on Spike suddenly the thought process has changed. People look at us and they go "wow, Curran and Pitbull and Straus really could beat anybody on the face of the Earth, and Chandler and Alvarez are two of the best Lightweights in the world" and on and on. And the ratings speak for themselves. We've been one million plus on the peaks for two weeks straight, and I bet we're one million plus on peaks this week as well, so we're beating the UFC in a very important area which is cable ratings.

When people have been attached to a certain thing for an extended period of time that's going to generate a little bit of a knee jerk thing. Change is always a very difficult thing for people to digest. But change is coming.

We'll no it's on......Dana is gonna try to destroy this promotion within the next 2 years. I still say an open champions tourney with champions from other orgs would create a huge mainstream buzz while exposing the UFC as an Entertainment "brand" and not a legit MMA sports promotion. Imagine seeing champs from WSOF, One Fight FC, Titan, MFC, Bamma, XFC, and others fight for a chance to face the Bellator champ? Or maybe even throw the Bellator champ into the mix as well. It would be EXTREMELY risky, but the payoff would be huge if the Bellator champ won. Anything Dana would have to say about that tourney would make the UFC look like shit. Something like that would damage the UFC brand. But it could backfire big time.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    We'll no it's on......Dana is gonna try to destroy this promotion within the next 2 years. I still say an open champions tourney with champions from other orgs would create a huge mainstream buzz while exposing the UFC as an Entertainment "brand" and not a legit MMA sports promotion. Imagine seeing champs from WSOF, One Fight FC, Titan, MFC, Bamma, XFC, and others fight for a chance to face the Bellator champ? Or maybe even throw the Bellator champ into the mix as well. It would be EXTREMELY risky, but the payoff would be huge if the Bellator champ won. Anything Dana would have to say about that tourney would make the UFC look like shit. Something like that would damage the UFC brand. But it could backfire big time.
    I really like the idea but I think it would be near impossible to get all those promotions to agree to the same terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I really like the idea but I think it would be near impossible to get all those promotions to agree to the same terms.
    Yup as bad as Dana is when it comes to dealing with the competition... The other organizations aren't going to be really much better when there is a chance of their organization looking inferior or even on par with something they feel they aren't That's why Strikeforce pretty much ignored the Alvarez/Melendez proposal and why Bellator ignored the WSoF joint PPV proposal.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information