Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New drug test is up to 1000x more sensitive

Default New drug test is up to 1000x more sensitive

New drug test is up to 1000x more sensitive

esearchers at the University of Arlington in Texas believe they have found a simple, yet incredibly effective way to improve the standard "mass spectrometry" testing commonly used to drug test athletes.

The research, first reported at a recent meeting of the American Chemical Society, allows for urine tests to be made several magnitudes more sensitive to the presence of PED metabolites by improving on mass spectrometry testing.
    The new method, called paired ion electrospray ionization, or PIESE, works to combine the metabolites together, making their signature larger and more easily detected. The technique has been demonstrated to be sensitive enough to detect one part per billion of PED metabolites in urine, which is up to 1,000 times more sensitive than existing methods.

According to quotes obtained by the BBC, the method could potentially even detect parts per trillion. As it relates to steroids, it is roughly 100 times more sensitive than existing methods. Even so, this will significantly increase the detection window for catching steroid users.

Apparently this new method only requires adding a single inexpensive, commercially available ingredient to existing MS testing setups, which should render it a very cost-effective method of improving PED testing. This is especially important in MMA as most commissions do not have the funds for regular blood testing, let alone a new testing protocol. This discovery should significantly increase the window in which PED use can be detected.

If this new method is able to increase the detection time for the most abused steroids from weeks until months, which the research seems to suggest could be possible, the concept of cycling during a camp before a fight could become significantly more difficult to get away with.
    the WADA, the USADA and the IOC have not yet been in touch with the researchers

GSP just smiled and all the roiders's assholes puckered.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    GSP just smiled and all the roiders's assholes puckered.
    Looks like he will be back sooner rather than later.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

...unless GSP had been juicing all along, and simply took this layoff to get 100% clean.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I thought the layoff was to get married to a "partner" though?

Seriously though, if this improved testing works, wouldn't it eliminate the expense of conducting more frequent tests? Sounds like a plan. I love it when a plan comes together.
    Last edited by hass; 03-19-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Even if this testing is a good as it claims to be it will still be a while before we see commissions and and anti doping agencies implement it. It still has to go through thorough testing.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ...unless GSP had been juicing all along, and simply took this layoff to get 100% clean.

rh
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for this.

This has always been my speculation, but I did not want to be the first to throw it out.

Gsp has been accused of juicing by a good amount of people. I feel his encounter with Johny was the final straw where he finally had his back to the wall with the whole WADA vs VADA. Gsp wanted VADA even though it would have been the unofficial testing. WADA is supposedly the toughest test to pass which is what Johny wanted to take.

The whole time GSP is supposedly retired, I keep reading a new interview from him every week regarding drug testing. What I took away from it was comparable of how a criminal would stay away from the limelight until everything blew over.

For those who have not seen the interview with Johny yet regarding WADA vs VADA, here it is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUtM5xAL1sA

I don't mean to throw GSP under the bus, but his whole retirement just seems off to me. First he says it's because he has OCD and then he says it's because he wanted stricter drug testing.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

rh
    I doubt this is true, he was so adament about the VADA testing and to me he quite frankly doesn't have the look.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I doubt this is true, he was so adament about the VADA testing and to me he quite frankly doesn't have the look.
    because it's not the toughest test out there and it is unofficial. Regardless of what would have happened with the VADA testing, the results would have had no bearing on his fight with Johny at all. Johny wanted the toughest test, which is WADA, but GSP didn't want that.

Quote Originally Posted by rahdeezy View Post
    because it's not the toughest test out there and it is unofficial. Regardless of what would have happened with the VADA testing, the results would have had no bearing on his fight with Johny at all. Johny wanted the toughest test, which is WADA, but GSP didn't want that.
    Oh really? I was unaware of that. Still, GSP obviously passed his next drug test so why would he take time off to cycle off? If he was doing anything he would have been caught after his last fight. Unless he had some inside information that this testing was to be implemented. Then that would make perfect sense.

Thread Information