Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva says 2014 comeback is 'over,' eyes UFC return in second half of 2015

Default Anderson Silva says 2014 comeback is 'over,' eyes UFC return in second half of 2015

Anderson Silva says 2014 comeback is 'over,' eyes UFC return in second half of 2015
    Even though the recovery process is going well, we won't be seeing "The Spider" return any time soon.

At least not for the rest of the year.

After breaking his leg in his UFC 168 rematch against Chris Weidman last December, observers thought Silva's career was done for good. The Brazilian spoke exclusively to Combate (via MMA Fighting) and shot down rumors that he would be fighting at UFC 181, or any other event in 2014.

Instead, Silva would consider returning to the Octagon in 2015.

"These rumors that I'll fight at UFC 181 or any other event around that date aren't true. This year is over for me. There's a chance I'll fight in the first half of 2015."

Silva still has plenty of fights left on his contract, after re-upping with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) awhile back for another 10 fights. He remains optimistic about fulfilling his lengthily contract.

"I don't see myself stopping (right now), but I don't know if I will fulfill my 10-fight contract. My family has been asking me for years to stop fighting, and they need to understand that this is what I love to do and that I need to have my time. My goal in the sport was to become a reference in this sport, and I'm achieving this."

After UFC 162 last July, Silva lost the strap to Weidman, and proclaimed directly after the fight that he wouldn't fight for the belt anymore. After he was more or less forced to change his stance, it seems like the Brazilian is shooting down the option once again, uninterested in another middleweight championship bout.

"Anderson's phase as the champion is over. Fighting for (the title) is a little far away from me."

A small part of me feels that both GSP and Anderson will return in 2015, but a bigger part of me thinks that they both will announce their official retirement at the end of 2014.

3. Default

I can see that Doc if Rory wins GSP retires and Anderson much of a set back could do the same

Might as well retire time he comes back he'll be pushing 40, don't want to go out the hard way like Chuck did.

^^^Agreed,find another way to love it,Mr.Silva.Bow out gracefully.

Anderson is a defensive fighter who uses movement and reflexes to counter mistakes. Most of his movement is upper body, so if hes still able to train that part well, he should not lose much. Of course lots of people get old fast, But I think Anderson is kind of a different cat, much like Hershel Walker I think this guy might be able to do this into his 40s at a high level. His next fight will tell a lot if they put him in against a killer. But it will probably be Bisping....in which case I'll enjoy another Anderson Silva Highlight victory
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

He has also not taken much damage compared to most MMA fighters. I wonder how many times he has been hit, seems like GSP has already been hit 20 Xs more in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    Anderson is a defensive fighter who uses movement and reflexes to counter mistakes. Most of his movement is upper body, so if hes still able to train that part well, he should not lose much. Of course lots of people get old fast, But I think Anderson is kind of a different cat, much like Hershel Walker I think this guy might be able to do this into his 40s at a high level. His next fight will tell a lot if they put him in against a killer. But it will probably be Bisping....in which case I'll enjoy another Anderson Silva Highlight victory

I guess his recovery isn't going quite as well as he was letting on... No surprise there

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

i could see them both coming back for a super fight against each other to make one last huge pay day and to see who is arguably the GOAT. After that fight they both retire.

PS. anyone see how big GSP is looking right now...no homo

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    You do realise that the reflexes are the first to go with age right?

Thread Information