Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 170 pay-per-view (PPV) buys featuring Ronda Rousey outperform championship doublehead

I'd love to see figures on the return on investment, when you look at promotional outlay for Aldo or Barao [and their salaries] and compare that to rousey's numbers. That's what would actually be telling. Just randomly comparing the two outcomes doesn't mean anything at all, really.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Also no way she is "the biggest draw in history". GSP could fight a sack of potatoes and it would sell 500k buys. When Brock was champ, he could've fought literally anybody or anything and sell 750k buys. He was by far the biggest draw in the history of the sport.
    Brock was never the draw Georges was. That's been done to death already.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    "What we do know is that UFC President Dana White wasn't exaggerating when he said Rousey was a star."

That's a direct quote from the article Cat posted.

No, I dont think everyone knows he was full of shit. I think there are a lot of people who believe the nonsense that comes out of his mouth.
    There are a lot of "journalists" who have a vested interest in keeping UFC credentials, and that outweighs their sense of literary ethics and accuracy. It's been proven that dana likes it when people repeat the nonsense he spits.

One has to hope that they don't believe it, but are simply using it as a means to an end.

But we never really know, I guess.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I would, and have argued that she is less successful as a "star" than what any pretty face/nice body/dominant champion in the UFC's first attempt at Women's MMA, would be. They wanted her to be their beloved golden girl sweetheart. They had to run with the whole "she's a bad bitch" angle once she gave them no other choice, because she is so unpleasant, but that isn't the way they wanted to go with it. Any good looking girl, with at least one awesome move, could do their best GSP impression, and they'd have twice as many fans, and that PPV probably woulda broke 500,000 buys. My fiancée wanted to like her, but couldn't stand her on TUF. If she just woulda acted like not a jackass, and respectful, even a little, my fiancée would probably have me buy every one of her PPVs. I know my fiancée doesn't represent everyone, and some people think that being "the bad guy" sells, but it only out sells being indifferent, in my opinion. I mean sure, if you do nothing to be noticed, then you aren't gonna get noticed, but that doesn't mean that being a jerk does better than being honorable and successful.
    If the UFC sold it right, Cat Zingano taking over the division would be huge for them IMO. She is attractive enough. She is dedicated. Her fights have been exciting and she is the most likeable female fighter. I don't see how someone can watch her interviews and dislike her. She also carries a legitimate excitement to her experience. There is also the story line of what unfortunately happened to her with her ex.. It would be awesome if she became the future of the division.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Brock was never the draw Georges was. That's been done to death already.
    I used to think that as well as Brock always had a marketable co-headliner that generated enough interest that made it difficult to judge his own marketability. However, I changed my tune once I saw the buyrates for the Carwin fight and the Cain fight. Brock's opponents nor the co-main event fighters on those cards were draws by any means. Brock pretty much himself drew over a million buys for both those fights.

GSP, on the other hand, would do around 800,000 buys regardless of who he is fighting against, but hovers around a million with a strong rival.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    If the UFC sold it right, Cat Zingano taking over the division would be huge for them IMO. She is attractive enough. She is dedicated. Her fights have been exciting and she is the most likeable female fighter. I don't see how someone can watch her interviews and dislike her. She also carries a legitimate excitement to her experience. There is also the story line of what unfortunately happened to her with her ex.. It would be awesome if she became the future of the division.
    Wish Sara Mcmann was younger I think she's the only one that can give Ronda a run for her money at 135lbs and she's a sweetheart too, so is Cat but she's going to get totally ragdolled by Ronda lol

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Would you argue she isn't a star?
    The article is referencing and directly links to Dana saying she is "the hugest star we've ever had". I would argue that he most certainly was exaggerating.

Are you suggesting he wasn't? That would kinda go against your claim that everyone knows he was full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Buys in general are down. The fact that it beat Jones vs Gustaffson is pretty damn impressive.
    I compared the numbers over the last year so the "buys in general are down" argument doesn't work. If buys in general are down then the average number of buys per card over the last year would also be down.

As far as beating Jones/Gus being "pretty damn impressive" Aldo/Edgar beat Jones/Gus and neither of those guys are what I would call big draws.

Anyway you want to spin it, 340K buys is not what you would hope to see from a huge star.
    Last edited by SwordofAres; 03-22-2014 at 10:12 AM.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Thread Information