Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 170 pay-per-view (PPV) buys featuring Ronda Rousey outperform championship doublehead

The lighter weights would do way better if the UFC would give them Rousey like coverage. I could shit in the octagon, and that would get a quarter of a million buys, if the UFC shoved it in everybody's face constantly. I thought everybody was in agreement that they under market the hell out Aldo.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    The lighter weights would do way better if the UFC would give them Rousey like coverage. I could shit in the octagon, and that would get a quarter of a million buys, if the UFC shoved it in everybody's face constantly. I thought everybody was in agreement that they under market the hell out Aldo.
    Yeah the under-marketing of Aldo drives me crazy. That guy has the look (his scar on his cheek helps), the fighting style, the track record (including 8 title defenses, 17 fight win streak and 23-1 record) and a highlight reel of kicks and KOs to be a really big star in the UFC. I was sure that after his celebration with the crowd in Brazil, in the fight where he KO'ed Mendes, would propel him to his superstar status but I was wrong. Maybe he needs a featherweight antagonist like Sonnen was to Silva to make him a bigger star. Perhaps Conor McGregor?
    Last edited by Dr. MMA; 03-21-2014 at 05:18 AM.

3. 03-21-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Compared to what they've been getting latley, it's pretty good for a non-Silva or GSP related card.
    Yes I agree I was pretty surprised by how many buys. However, it is still no where near what Dana was predicting. Wasn't he off by a million dollars on his gate prediction?

Also no way she is "the biggest draw in history". GSP could fight a sack of potatoes and it would sell 500k buys. When Brock was champ, he could've fought literally anybody or anything and sell 750k buys. He was by far the biggest draw in the history of the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Yeah the under-marketing of Aldo drives me crazy. That guy has the look (his scar on his cheek helps), the fighting style, the track record (including 8 title defenses, 17 fight win streak and 23-1 record) and a highlight reel of kicks and KOs to be a really big star in the UFC. I was sure that after his celebration with the crowd in Brazil, in the fight where he KO'ed Mendes, would propel him to his superstar status but I was wrong. Maybe he needs a featherweight antagonist like Sonnen was to Silva to make him a bigger star. Perhaps Conor McGregor?
    Can't stand it either. Both him and Renan Barao are cementing themselves as two of the greatest fighters in the history of the sport and it almost seems like the UFC has no interest in marketing them.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I think everybody (except Qball of course) knows Dana was full of shit when he said Rousey was the biggest star in UFC history.

So I don't see the need for everybody to keep bringing it up. It's like if somebody said "The sun is blue". You'd just ignore an obviously false and stupid statement and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Yes I agree I was pretty surprised by how many buys. However, it is still no where near what Dana was predicting. Wasn't he off by a million dollars on his gate prediction?
    He was predicting a 2 million dollar gate, it came in at 1.5.

Quote Originally Posted by KevOnTheRadio
    So I don't see the need for everybody to keep bringing it up. It's like if somebody said "The sun is blue". You'd just ignore an obviously false and stupid statement and move on.
    This.

I think everybody (except Qball of course) knows Dana was full of shit when he said Rousey was the biggest star in UFC history.

"What we do know is that UFC President Dana White wasn't exaggerating when he said Rousey was a star."

That's a direct quote from the article Cat posted.

No, I dont think everyone knows he was full of shit. I think there are a lot of people who believe the nonsense that comes out of his mouth.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

"If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    "What we do know is that UFC President Dana White wasn't exaggerating when he said Rousey was a star."

That's a direct quote from the article Cat posted.

No, I dont think everyone knows he was full of shit. I think there are a lot of people who believe the nonsense that comes out of his mouth.
    Would you argue she isn't a star?
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by Twist of Lemon View Post
    He was predicting a 2 million dollar gate, it came in at 1.5.

This.
    Sorry, I thought it was 2.5. Anyway I know what you guys are saying about ignoring Dana but it still annoying when he says ridiculous shit. These are in my opinion at least impressive numbers for an awfully shitty card that Ronda single handily carried. However because Dana decided to extremely exaggerate the results are a let down.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Would you argue she isn't a star?
    I would, and have argued that she is less successful as a "star" than what any pretty face/nice body/dominant champion in the UFC's first attempt at Women's MMA, would be. They wanted her to be their beloved golden girl sweetheart. They had to run with the whole "she's a bad bitch" angle once she gave them no other choice, because she is so unpleasant, but that isn't the way they wanted to go with it. Any good looking girl, with at least one awesome move, could do their best GSP impression, and they'd have twice as many fans, and that PPV probably woulda broke 500,000 buys. My fiancée wanted to like her, but couldn't stand her on TUF. If she just woulda acted like not a jackass, and respectful, even a little, my fiancée would probably have me buy every one of her PPVs. I know my fiancée doesn't represent everyone, and some people think that being "the bad guy" sells, but it only out sells being indifferent, in my opinion. I mean sure, if you do nothing to be noticed, then you aren't gonna get noticed, but that doesn't mean that being a jerk does better than being honorable and successful.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Thread Information