Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: UFC broadcaster Jon Anik: Lyoto Machida still wants Jon Jones rematch

Nobody can even agree on what parameters of P4P are. Its a fun concept completely lacking in objective analysis
    Last edited by CtGreat; 03-25-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    I didn't say they lacked skills. I said they lacked skill compared to a lot of fighters they have faced.
    In the early part of their careers--when they were making their bones--I can't think of anyone who wasn't flawed. They were as skilled as anyone out there.

If having a natural born reach advantage is a detractor, so having a speed, power and chin advantage. They all can be used overcome having less skill and technique, but none of them should be a detractor they should all be viewed as a positive.
    This is what you don't understand.
    It's not a detractor.
    It's simply figured in with the evaluation. It's part of the process.

P4P should be: If both fighters were shrunk down proportionately so they were the same weight, who is the better fighter.
    Regardless of what you think it should be; going back decades as a boxing fan, I've always heard it described as "if all fighters were the same size" and reach was always factored in, just as other attributes would be.

If Jones and GSP were the same weight and Jones was able to edge GSP he would be the better P4P fighter.
    You're welcome to your opinion, but you're missing the point of p4p entirely.

It's an entirely subjective exercise that attempts to determine who the best fighter is based on skill sets. Having a natural attribute [handspeed, power, reach, chin] is an asset, certainly...but when there are holes in a fighters skill set that he covers using the natural attribute, he doesn't fare as well as someone who is more well rounded.

To put it another way, Cabbage Correira had a great chin. Was anyone ever factoring him in p4p? No, because there were holes in his game. Jones is young, and he's getting better. He could progress to be elite, for sure, just as Anderson and Georges did, all the while sporting reach advantages. But right now, any pronouncements dana is making is a marketing tool, not any type of accurate assessment.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    ANyone who says Jones is best p4p doesn't know what pound for pound means. The best p4p best fighter in my opinion is Renan Barao. Second probably Aldo. I might get shit for saying this, but Jones might not even be top 5.

What Renan Barao is doing during this winning streak is un fucking believable. Closest thing to Fedor's reign we are ever going to see.

Barao is a fuckin monster. But I think talking p4p, Cain would maul him. Shit Frankie Edgar gets a lot of hate but he's a bad dude too who's just undersized and lacks power.

And yes Silva and Gsp have always had a significant reach advantage but never coasted off it. Jones doesn't have the hands that either have, the footwork, or fight iQ they do.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Barao is a fuckin monster. But I think talking p4p, Cain would maul him. Shit Frankie Edgar gets a lot of hate but he's a bad dude too who's just undersized and lacks power.

And yes Silva and Gsp have always had a significant reach advantage but never coasted off it. Jones doesn't have the hands that either have, the footwork, or fight iQ they do.
    If Barao and Cain were the same size, I think Barao would win bhut I sure as hell wouldn't put money on it. I think the top 3 p4p in my book is Bara, Aldo and Cain its a real toss up as to where they rank. I would even put Mighty Mouse and Weidman ahead of Jones to be honest.

As for edgar, he does lack power but don't forget he knocked out arguably the biggest guy in the lightweight divsion.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 03-26-2014 at 09:00 AM.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    If Barao and Cain were the same size, I think Barao would win bhut I sure as hell wouldn't put money on it. I think the top 3 p4p in my book is Bara, Aldo and Cain its a real toss up as to where they rank. I would even put Mighty Mouse and Weidman ahead of Jones to be honest.

As for edgar, he does lack power but don't forget he knocked out arguably the biggest guy in the lightweight divsion.
    Yes he did but it was such well placed uppercut off a scramble. It could have rocked many ppl.

As for Barao and Cain idk, Cain just overwhelms his opponents so ridiculously that idk how that would go but definitely a tough match up.

I bet Superman could beat Wolverine. Superman is #1 P4P.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    I bet Superman could beat Wolverine. Superman is #1 P4P.
    Batman kicks both of their asses.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Batman kicks both of their asses.
    No way I think Wolverine would beat Batman. Both are great fighters but Batman relies like using the dark to instill fear. Not gonna happen with a guy who can smell him in the dark.

And that is the mob's comic geek moment.

Saw someone mention Jones as being dirty. Never really thought of him like that, but just turned on the TV and they are reshowing the Jones/Shogun fight and in did the old fingers in the eyes and then fingers to throat a couple minutes later in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Saw someone mention Jones as being dirty. Never really thought of him like that, but just turned on the TV and they are reshowing the Jones/Shogun fight and in did the old fingers in the eyes and then fingers to throat a couple minutes later in the first round.
    Elbows in the throat too.I believe in the vitor fight.also.

Thread Information