Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should Hendo Retire on Top?

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Isn't it funny how Dan blatantly grabbed the fence early in the fight...then, later on, he hits Shogun to the back of the head 4 or 5 times and stops as soon as he sees Herb is in a position to see them landing...and there are actually people who aren't questioning these things lol

I think Shogun was screwed before the back of the head shots landed, but it doesn't change that they were blatantly illegal and seemed 100% intentional. I think alot more people would be complaining if it wasn't Dan Henderson. Between that, smoking Fedor in the back of the head, the huge follow up punch on an obviously out cold Bisping (And Wandy for that matter)...
    I was thinking the same thing watching the fight. He got away with some pretty brutal shots to the back of the head that others have been disqualified over.

If Dana sticks around he should stick to matches with guys that are towards the end of their career as well (Franklin, Silva). I don't think he can hang with the contenders anymore and his chin may be showing some weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I was thinking the same thing watching the fight. He got away with some pretty brutal shots to the back of the head that others have been disqualified over.

If Dana sticks around he should stick to matches with guys that are towards the end of their career as well (Franklin, Silva). I don't think he can hang with the contenders anymore and his chin may be showing some weakness

HE HAS BEEN TKO'd 1 TIME EVER! AND BEFORE THAT HE LOST 2 SPLIT DECISIONS! AND BEFORE THAT HE WAS GOING TO FIGHT FOR THE TITLE!

You guys do realize that he knocked out a former champ, just a few days ago, right? Right?!?! Am I the only one that saw that? The man could easily be 7-1 in his last 8, but even with the split decisions he is 5-3. He is probably 1 big win from being back in the title conversation, and 2-3 away from actually getting that shot. He is a legend. He boomeranged Shogun's nose a few days ago, and he isn't done.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    HE HAS BEEN TKO'd 1 TIME EVER! AND BEFORE THAT HE LOST 2 SPLIT DECISIONS! AND BEFORE THAT HE WAS GOING TO FIGHT FOR THE TITLE!

You guys do realize that he knocked out a former champ, just a few days ago, right? Right?!?! Am I the only one that saw that? The man could easily be 7-1 in his last 8, but even with the split decisions he is 5-3. He is probably 1 big win from being back in the title conversation, and 2-3 away from actually getting that shot. He is a legend. He boomeranged Shogun's nose a few days ago, and he isn't done.
    THIS^^^ Hendo has not shown any signs of slowing down so much that he should retire. He was fighting well against the top ten guys in the world got KO'd by a super human and lost splits to two 5 guys as you said. He should definitely be getting more credit than he is. That being said. Jones would kick his ass.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    THIS^^^ Hendo has not shown any signs of slowing down so much that he should retire. He was fighting well against the top ten guys in the world got KO'd by a super human and lost splits to two 5 guys as you said. He should definitely be getting more credit than he is. That being said. Jones would kick his ass.
    I think Bones would beat him if he could take Hendo down or keep him at bay with his reach. If not, I would not want to be Bones. That being said, Bones would have a great chance of doing one of those two things.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Hahahahahaha Henderson would get smashed by Jones...and I like Henderson way, way more than I like Jon.

You talk about his last 8 fights...which span well over 3 years. He's 43 now. 43 is considerably older than 40 when it comes to fighting.

And I thought him vs Rashad could have went either way but I thought Machida clearly outclassed him, despite that being a split as well.

I thought he looked pretty slow his last 2 fights, despite getting the finish over Shogun. Just look at the combination he attempted that got him dropped vs Vitor...that was a very slow and poor combination from an elite/top professional fighter's standpoint. I have 0 interest in seeing that guy fight Jon Jones at this point.
    Last edited by dbader08; 03-27-2014 at 12:39 AM.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Sure, Hendo could land against anyone but you could say that about any big power puncher. Hendo clearly was losing to Shogun and was out in the first round, which in my opinion should've been stopped. Jones picks him apart badly in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Sure, Hendo could land against anyone but you could say that about any big power puncher. Hendo clearly was losing to Shogun and was out in the first round, which in my opinion should've been stopped. Jones picks him apart badly in my opinion.
    I think that you can agree that Hendo's chin/heart makes him a bit more than your average power puncher. There is a very good chance that he will take everything you've got, and still be hanging around to deliver that monster shot. Hendo is my favorite fighter, so I am obviously biased, but on the same note, far too many people have went off the deep end with thinking he is done. He's probably lost a few steps. He seems to have abandoned some of his skills too. Those things don't do him any favors, but he is not your average fighter. He isn't even your average power puncher. The man is a dangerous combination of toughness and power, and that leads to unpredictable situations. I'm one of his biggest fans in the world, and I though Shogun was getting his hand raised for sure. Going into the 3rd, I was just hoping it would be a decision instead of a stoppage, but Hendo surprised me. There aren't a whole lot of guys that can take those shots for 2+ rounds, and then land a finisher of his own. That's what Hendo is capable of.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

I think that you can agree that Hendo's chin/heart makes him a bit more than your average power puncher. There is a very good chance that he will take everything you've got, and still be hanging around to deliver that monster shot. Hendo is my favorite fighter, so I am obviously biased, but on the same note, far too many people have went off the deep end with thinking he is done. He's probably lost a few steps. He seems to have abandoned some of his skills too. Those things don't do him any favors, but he is not your average fighter. He isn't even your average power puncher. The man is a dangerous combination of toughness and power, and that leads to unpredictable situations. I'm one of his biggest fans in the world, and I though Shogun was getting his hand raised for sure. Going into the 3rd, I was just hoping it would be a decision instead of a stoppage, but Hendo surprised me. There aren't a whole lot of guys that can take those shots for 2+ rounds, and then land a finisher of his own. That's what Hendo is capable of.
    I know your favourite fighter is Hendo, but don't you think that 3 of his last 5 fights (the two with Shogun and the one with Vitor) took a lot out of him. Two of them were wars, one was a stoppage and he was dropped 5 times in those fights. In this last Shogun fight, he actually went out for a second which has never happened to Hendo. His chin is going to fade with every fight and easier shots are going to drop him. Look at Chuck, he was known for eating shots and dishing them back. In the end, it was crazy to see the type of shots that put Chuck out.

Plus, Hendo was never your fastest guy but I personally think he looks slower with every fight regardless of whether he won or lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I know your favourite fighter is Hendo, but don't you think that 3 of his last 5 fights (the two with Shogun and the one with Vitor) took a lot out of him. Two of them were wars, one was a stoppage and he was dropped 5 times in those fights. In this last Shogun fight, he actually went out for a second which has never happened to Hendo. His chin is going to fade with every fight and easier shots are going to drop him. Look at Chuck, he was known for eating shots and dishing them back. In the end, it was crazy to see the type of shots that put Chuck out.

Plus, Hendo was never your fastest guy but I personally think he looks slower with every fight regardless of whether he won or lost.

You are right. I can't argue that time is on his side. That being said, his chin is still pretty amazing, and the power hasn't faded at all. My point is that he is more dangerous than your average home run hitter. I know he will eventually be done, and it probably won't be pretty, but I think he's still got something in the tank. I think if he were to fight Bones, Bones would win 99% of the fights in which he could take Hendo down with ease, but I think Hendo would win a higher percentage than most are giving him credit for IF Bones couldn't take him down. My logic is that Bones isn't known for his knockout power, so if it stayed standing, it would be a long fight, and Bones only would need to screw up once.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Zuffa has banned TUEs.

We have no idea how Henderson is going to look without TRT.

Shogun has lost a step--more like several steps--and he was lighting Henderson up. And that's probably as good as we're going to see Henderson get without testosterone replacement.

I'm not saying any fan deserves to tell him how to live his life. I'm not saying dana should weigh in as he did with Chuck. But I certainly don't want to watch him decline as we watched Liddell. I wish him the best, but most of all, I wish him accurate self awareness, so he knows when he's done.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information