Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Should Hendo Retire on Top?

Fuckin Donosaur wants to see Hendo die in the cage.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Riv- I can respect that.

Kevo- Sit down, Rando. *throws another syrup bottle*
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Doesn't change the fact that we've seen a 43 year old man get the shit beat out of him in his last two fights. Don't let his win against Shogun and a couple close losses to Machida and Evans fool you, he's on the down side of his career and if he's not careful we're gonna get a repeat of Chuck Liddell's late career skid. Mark my words.

Fuckin mark 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Fuckin Donosaur wants to see Hendo die in the cage.
    Thanks for the laugh!

Edit: hendo vs lil nog

Unfortunately I see Hendo going the way of Chuck.

Chuck got KOed by Rampage, then was dropped in his next 2 fights then started getting KOed. His chin was obviously gone.

Hendo got KOed, now he is getting dropped like never before. It wont be long before his chin just can no longer hold up. I hope he retires before it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    HE HAS BEEN TKO'd 1 TIME EVER! AND BEFORE THAT HE LOST 2 SPLIT DECISIONS! AND BEFORE THAT HE WAS GOING TO FIGHT FOR THE TITLE!

You guys do realize that he knocked out a former champ, just a few days ago, right? Right?!?! Am I the only one that saw that? The man could easily be 7-1 in his last 8, but even with the split decisions he is 5-3. He is probably 1 big win from being back in the title conversation, and 2-3 away from actually getting that shot. He is a legend. He boomeranged Shogun's nose a few days ago, and he isn't done.

Other have addressed this already, but I'll back up what I say.

Did he beat a former champ in Shogun yes..... is Shogun the same fighter he was when he fought Machida for the title no not even close. Beating a former champ only counts for so much when they are past their prime. As mentioned already Dan was taking a lot of punishment from Shogun and though it may have been a debatable stoppage had it come in the first round I wouldn't have been against it seen fights stopped for much less recently.

I like Dan and respect him but those losses in the close fights were a indication that he is slowing down to me. I think they were close matches more due to his opponents lack of aggression then anything Henderson did himself (especially Machida). With TRT now being removed as an option for him I can see him slowing down more.

It's up to Dan when he wants to retire but I think all things considered the timing is right in my opinion.

To be fair to Dan, it's not like he's getting dropped by Keith Jardine or KO'd by Franklins's weak arm here. Belfort and Shogun both have ferocious power and he only got stopped by one of them. The only other opponents I can recall rocking him are Silva, Fedor and Feijao, all of whom are noted KO artists.

While I agree that Hendo has lost a step, and that this is making it easier for him to hit, I'm not certain that his chin is entirely done just yet.

For mine, I'm more concerned about his offensive predictability. It's pretty late in the game for him to be learning new tricks but it can't hurt for him to diversify his right hand set ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    To be fair to Dan, it's not like he's getting dropped by Keith Jardine or KO'd by Franklins's weak arm here. Belfort and Shogun both have ferocious power and he only got stopped by one of them. The only other opponents I can recall rocking him are Silva, Fedor and Feijao, all of whom are noted KO artists.

While I agree that Hendo has lost a step, and that this is making it easier for him to hit, I'm not certain that his chin is entirely done just yet.

For mine, I'm more concerned about his offensive predictability. It's pretty late in the game for him to be learning new tricks but it can't hurt for him to diversify his right hand set ups.
    See I completely agree with all of this. I'm not saying Hendo is in his prime or is getting better. I'm saying he's not done. We all view it as he probably has almost no shot at being champ, so this is probably his high point, so why not call it a day? The answer is simple, he doesn't think it's all down hill from here. It very well might be, but it might not be. In either case, do you blame him for not thinking he is done? Do you blame him for thinking he could be champ? He has been facing top competition, and doing well. It's not like he is being delusional. He is a top ten guy that just beat a top ten guy. He is capable of beating other top ten guys. A few more of those, and he'd got a title shot. Do you really expect him to count himself out? He is a top contender on the backend of his career, but he is a top contender none the less.

For what it's worth, I don't like the Shogun is washed up talk either. If he woulda kept beating Hendo for another two rounds, then he'd be praised right now. He'd probably get some talk in the post Glover/Goose/DC title conversation.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

See I completely agree with all of this. I'm not saying Hendo is in his prime or is getting better. I'm saying he's not done. We all view it as he probably has almost no shot at being champ, so this is probably his high point, so why not call it a day? The answer is simple, he doesn't think it's all down hill from here. It very well might be, but it might not be. In either case, do you blame him for not thinking he is done? Do you blame him for thinking he could be champ? He has been facing top competition, and doing well. It's not like he is being delusional. He is a top ten guy that just beat a top ten guy. He is capable of beating other top ten guys. A few more of those, and he'd got a title shot. Do you really expect him to count himself out? He is a top contender on the backend of his career, but he is a top contender none the less.
    I don't think anyone is really Dan is being "delusional" it sounds to me more like opinions on what people think is the right thing to do in his case... but that may be a matter of perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    I think he's spent too long at his camp. I've also felt that his predictability was an issue for a long time, but was really shocked listening to his corner after round 1 or 2 in this fight. The advice was feint the jab and throw the overhand right. That's his gameplan for every fight, every round, every situation. It was really a bummer to hear it coming from his corner.

See I completely agree with all of this. I'm not saying Hendo is in his prime or is getting better. I'm saying he's not done. We all view it as he probably has almost no shot at being champ, so this is probably his high point, so why not call it a day? The answer is simple, he doesn't think it's all down hill from here. It very well might be, but it might not be. In either case, do you blame him for not thinking he is done? Do you blame him for thinking he could be champ?
    I don't blame him at all and I understand the desire to keep going. The only reason I'd want to see him stop is I believe that folks should take a longer time off after a KO to let their brain heal. I felt like Dan didn't take enough after the Vitor fight and should really take a year off after this one following. But at his age, that's probably a career ender.

Thread Information