+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Study: Brain trauma in 30% of MMA fights

Not sure what to make of that. Looks really bad but I have seen guys taking shots in the same position and come back hundreds of times and other fights that were stopped, guys getting up and complaining.

Maybe most fights should be stopped a lot earlier. Example: Kongo/Berry. Kongo was pretty much out and came back to win, 29 times out of 30, a fighter rocked like that is not coming back from that. Even if they came back to win 50% of the time, is there some maximum level of damage that refs should use to stop a fight? Probably.

I love MMA, favorite sport, but actually think it should be banned. Same with boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    EFC Africa earlier today:

So they concluded that MMA is harder on your brain than football and boxing, with scientific evidence such as score cards and videos. Give me a f**king break.

Football players take repeated hits to the head often starting when they are in middle school and usually no later that high school, which means that the brain trauma that the players are receiving as KIDS happens while their brains are still developing, surely not helping things and likely making it worse. This also puts on another 6 to 11 years of punishment before they are even out of their early 20's and before they are even Pro.

That is not the case in MMA, kids that practice MMA do not suffer from full blown KO's because it is not allowed. Only after you are 18 can you actually begin fighting without headgear, and I am guessing that, on average, most fighters probably aren't going to be able fight longer than 10 years (Here is an article on fighter career length).

The studies on football related brain trauma are much more in-depth than "that player got hit really hard on his head, he must have suffered brain trauma" and "according to this injury report , this player has suffered from (x) amount of concussions over his career, he must have suffered (x) amount of brain damage". So it doesn't make sense to me that the researchers of thise study came to the conclusion that MMA is harder on a persons brain than football when their evidence is exactly what I just described, which is very unscientific, and even subjective, and the studies on football brain trauma are based on real scientific brain analysis.

I am not saying that I don't believe that MMA could possibly worse on a persons brain than football. Based on some of the long term punishment I have witnessed some fighters absorb, I think MMA certainly could cause more brain damage than football, but before researchers start pushing that out as fact, I think that it is only right that actual scientific research is proof, not a bunch guys "looking at score cards and watching videos" as proof.

All of that also applies to boxing as well.
    Last edited by XxChAoS32xX; 03-28-2014 at 12:42 AM.
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."
    — Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by XxChAoS32xX View Post
    So they concluded that MMA is harder on your brain than football and boxing, with scientific evidence such as score cards and videos. Give me a f**king break.

Football players take repeated hits to the head often starting when they are in middle school and usually no later that high school, which means that the brain trauma that the players are receiving as KIDS happens while their brains are still developing, surely not helping things and likely making it worse. This also puts on another 6 to 11 years of punishment before they are even out of their early 20's and before they are even Pro.

That is not the case in MMA, kids that practice MMA do not suffer from full blown KO's because it is not allowed. Only after you are 18 can you actually begin fighting without headgear, and I am guessing that, on average, most fighters probably aren't going to be able fight longer than 10 years (Here is an article on fighter career length).

The studies on football related brain trauma are much more in-depth than "that player got hit really hard on his head, he must have suffered brain trauma" and "according to this injury report , this player has suffered from (x) amount of concussions over his career, he must have suffered (x) amount of brain damage". So it doesn't make sense to me that the researchers of thise study came to the conclusion that MMA is harder on a persons brain than football when their evidence is exactly what I just described, which is very unscientific, and even subjective, and the studies on football brain trauma are based on real scientific brain analysis.

I am not saying that I don't believe that MMA could possibly worse on a persons brain than football. Based on some of the long term punishment I have witnessed some fighters absorb, I think MMA certainly could cause more brain damage than football, but before researchers start pushing that out as fact, I think that it is only right that actual scientific research is proof, not a bunch guys "looking at score cards and watching videos" as proof.

All of that also applies to boxing as well.
    They also look at the effects of punches landed on unconcious opponents. You mix those with years of extreme weight cuts and that could be a brain damage coctail.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    They also look at the effects of punches landed on unconcious opponents. You mix those with years of extreme weight cuts and that could be a brain damage coctail.
    That sounds like a terrible, terrible drink.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

Dehydration plays a massive part.

But I still think boxing is by far more dangerous for the brain.

Joints, bones and eyeballs? MMA hands down.

A lot more hockey players seem to get concussions, but maybe we just don't hear about it in boxing/MMA if it is minor because they are not missing games a day later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    Dehydration plays a massive part.

But I still think boxing is by far more dangerous for the brain.

Joints, bones and eyeballs? MMA hands down.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information