+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Former UFC Welterweight Georges St-Pierre Tears Left ACL in Training

Default Former UFC Welterweight Georges St-Pierre Tears Left ACL in Training

Former UFC Welterweight Georges St-Pierre Tears Left ACL in Training

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre decided to take some time off after he successfully defended his welterweight title in a close fight with Johny Hendricks at UFC 167.Many fans and UFC president Dana White believe that he will return to MMA, but that won't be any time soon after another major injury suffered by GSP. From his twitter:

St-Pierre (25-2) tore his right ACL while training for a UFC 143 bout with Nick Diaz in 2011 and was out for almost 18 months because of that. This is the other ACL, and it's a pretty devastating injury. The 32-year-old obviously wasn't training for a fight but if it's another year-plus on the shelf for him, the chances of the future Hall of Famer returning to the sport just went down decidedly today.
    Georges St-Pierre Announces ACL Tear, but Quiet on UFC Return

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre may no longer be gracing the Octagon with his presence, but stepping into the training room has still come with a cost, as he announced on Thursday that he tore his anterior cruciate ligament.

While St-Pierre vacated the UFC championship in December of last year, he hasn’t left his teammates in a lurch. St-Pierre has been known to continue training and working alongside his Tristar Gym teammates in Montreal, even though he has yet to talk definitely about a return to the Octagon.

“Just got confirmation that I tore my left knee ACL during training this week… Surgery in a few days and rehab starts right away,” St-Pierre wrote on his Facebook page.

The former UFC 170-pound kingpin spent the better part of 2011 and 2012 on the shelf due to a torn ACL in his right knee. He returned in November of 2012 to unify the welterweight championship with a victory over interim titleholder Carlos Condit. St-Pierre then defeated Nick Diaz and Johny Hendricks before surprisingly vacating the belt in December.

“We all face challenges in our lives and I know only one way to take this one: Pain, hard work, no shortcuts and I will soon be back at 100%,” he continued on Thursday. “Stay tuned and thanks for your amazing support, as always. Merci à tous pour vos encouragements.”

While recent speculation had pointed to a possible return in early 2015, St-Pierre has yet to comment definitively on when or if he will return to the UFC.
    I don't know what to say. Feels like the MMA Gods are serving up an evil streak right now.
    Last edited by trustkill; 03-27-2014 at 09:00 PM.

fucking terrible news.

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

That's really bad. Hope he recovers fully and is back to training Normal, that being said, I really do think he'll just retire from mma quietly.

Man...awful news, but it might make for some quite interesting story lines if/when he returns.

Yeah, I don't know....now it would be awesome if he and Anderson Returned on the same event, hell what if it was against each other? But even just on the same card would break records.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

I don't think he was coming back anyways, now he is more not coming back.
    NWO 4 Lyfe!!!

WHy was he training while he is "stepping away from the sport for a little while"?

8. Default

^ stay in shape, draw people to his gym, his sponsors may want him too

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    WHy was he training while he is "stepping away from the sport for a little while"?
    He said he has never stopped training and wont even if he decides to not return to competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    He said he has never stopped training and wont even if he decides to not return to competition.
    well this throws a wrench in those plans haha. but seriously though hope he makes a speedy and full recovery.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information