+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Former UFC Welterweight Georges St-Pierre Tears Left ACL in Training

Dana White feels 'terrible' about latest Georges St-Pierre ACL tear that extends UFC layoff 'for who knows how long'

White shared his thoughts about St-Pierre's latest setback with Los Angeles Times earlier this afternoon:

"I didn't think his hiatus was going to be that long. That's one of the risks you run when you get away from the sport like that. You have a small window as a professional athlete to make what you can. The guy gave up his belt, walked away from the sport, and now he's out for who knows how long ... last time he had this injury, it was 14 months."
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/3/27/55...fc-return-long

So. Shitty. Man, if it couldn't get worse!

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    WHy was he training while he is "stepping away from the sport for a little while"?
    The dude is a fitness freak so training is most likely just a part of his lifestyle.

That sucks for him, although probably better out of fight-training than in, as he doesn't have to go through intense rigorous training in a short time and can just take his time given his current hiatus status.

Also, I don't see anywhere where Dana feels terrible. It sounds like he's saying GSP had a small window to make lots of money, but he walked away and with the injury, has now closed that window even further.

And for the people asking why he's still training, many fighters who retire even do that. Florian trains 4 days a week and he's physically unable to return to MMA in a healthy fashion.

Am I the only one is viewing the GSP-Dana relationship as a crazy girlfriend situation. One so crazy that GSP is afraid to officially break up with her/him. I seriously believe GSP knew he wasn't coming back, and he let Dana run with it however he wanted, rather than dealing with the standard shit slinging fest that goes to anyone who Dana doesn't retire himself once they are washed up. I'm a pretty non confrontational person, and I have dealt with pushy people like Dana, and I gotta say in this situation I would just gradually ease my way out of their life rather than have one big thing about it. That is impossible while being the champ, but vacating the title, and going on hiatus is as close as he coulda gotten under the circumstances.
    USA! USA! USA!

^Dana lives in his own world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Also, I don't see anywhere where Dana feels terrible. It sounds like he's saying GSP had a small window to make lots of money, but he walked away and with the injury, has now closed that window even further.
    ...that's what dana feels terrible about. Because no matter how much money Georges made from zuffa, zuffa--and dana--made 50x more from him.

So he feels bad about the window where he can make money off of Georges getting smaller.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ...that's what dana feels terrible about. Because no matter how much money Georges made from zuffa, zuffa--and dana--made 50x more from him.

So he feels bad about the window where he can make money off of Georges getting smaller.

rh
    Absolutely 100% correct.
    USA! USA! USA!

9. 03-28-2014, 09:53 AM

And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Firas Zahabi: Georges St-Pierre’s surgery could spark motivation for return
    “Georges just finished his surgery and it went extremely well,” Zahabi told MMAjunkie. “His spirits are very good. His pain is already gone and before around this time he was having a lot of pain. This time he’s more mentally ready, he’s done this surgery before, he’s very optimistic.”

The recovery time and rehabilitation needed for an ACL surgery is hardly a cakewalk. However, Zahabi believes St-Pierre’s forced absence from training will spark his motivation to step back in the octagon one day.

“I think this injury, because he’s going to be away from training for so long, could cause him to want to fight again,” Zahabi said. “When your girlfriend dumps you, you want her more than ever before. MMA just kind of put him on the sidelines, and now he probably wants MMA more now than ever before. It’s the way it is – it’s human nature.”

If St-Pierre can recover in full, a return to the UFC would be a monumental event for the sport. It’s likely he would be given an immediate opportunity to regain the 170-pound title he vacated this past December, which would be colossal for the organization.

Zahabi sees it that way as well, especially if reigning champion Johny Hendricks is still holding onto the belt.

“If Hendricks defends the belt and it doesn’t change it will be a more wanted rematch,” Zahabi said. “If somebody beats Hendricks, the taste will be lost. To be the champion now you have to fill the last champion’s shoes. When Georges took the title from Matt Hughes he had heavy shoes to fill, but he did it. Now Hendricks has even bigger shoes to fill, and it’s not easy.

“Believe me, winning the belt is one thing, but defending the belt is a whole other thing.

Should St-Pierre choose to fight again, it will be a long and grueling process before that could become a reality. From Zahabi’s perspective, though, a comeback would only add to what is already a one-of-a-kind resume.

Zahabi wanted St-Pierre to do what he thinks is best for his life, but selfishly, he would like nothing more than to guide his star pupil to one last UFC victory.

“I would love to see Georges St-Pierre back,” Zahabi said. “I want to help him win again. One thing that would make me happy in life is I would love to see Georges win one more fight. That would be fantastic.”

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information