Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: renan barao vs. t.j. dillashaw set as main event for ufc 173

Default renan barao vs. t.j. dillashaw set as main event for ufc 173

when one door slams shut, another swings wide open. No. 5 ranked bantamweight contender T.J. Dillashaw will meet UFC champion Renan Barao on two month's notice as the new main event of UFC 173, according to a report by USA Today.

The bout serves as a replacement headliner following the postponement of UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman's title defense against Lyoto Machida. Weidman is scheduled to undergo dual knee surgery next week, and his bout against Machida is now slated to headline UFC 175.

According to the report, No. 3 ranked contender Raphael Assuncao, who narrowly defeated Dillashaw last October, was initially chosen to challenge Barao, however lingering injuries prevented Assuncao from accepting the short notice bout.

Dillashaw was previously scheduled to fight Takeya Mizugaki on UFC 173's main card. A replacement opponent for Mizugaki is expected to be announced in the coming days.

Barao (32-1, 1 NC) is undefeated in 33 straight fights, the last seven of which took place under the UFC umbrella. He most recently defended his title for the third consecutive time in early February, finishing Urijah Faber via first-round TKO.

Faber's teammate, Dillashaw (9-2), has rolled to a sterling 5-1 record since falling short at The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale in 2011. The Team Alpha Male product recently rebounded from his loss to Assuncao by outclassing No. 6 ranked Mike Easton en route to a unanimous decision win in January.
    source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/3/28...-t-j-dillashaw

According to the report, No. 3 ranked contender Raphael Assuncao, who narrowly defeated Dillashaw last October, was initially chosen to challenge Barao, however lingering injuries prevented Assuncao from accepting the short notice bout.
    At first the headline made me believe Assuncao was getting passed up. I suppose depending on how long the injuries take to heal, he could be next. Unless Cruz is ready to go soon, then they'd certainly slide him into a title match after this bout. Either way, I believe Barao wins.

Yeah, not overly enthused for this fight. I suppose it was probably the best they could throw together for a title on such short notice. In any case, I'm picking Nosforatu by first round sub.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    unless Cruz is ready to go soon,
    Who?

TJ is a beast tho.I like the match up but idk about him beating Barao

I like Dillashaw. Wish he would pull off the upset.

Nosferatu. Good one.

Francisco Rivera steps in to fight Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 173
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/03/francis...ki-at-ufc-173/
    With opponent T.J. Dillashaw (9-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) promoted to a headlining spot, his original opponent, Takeya Mizugaki (19-7-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC), now has a new matchup, as well.

Bantamweight Francisco Rivera (10-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) has stepped in to fight Mizugaki, UFC officials today told MMAjunkie.

If TJ wins it will be a bigger upset than Serra v GSP I
    You have to know what you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty View Post
    If TJ wins it will be a bigger upset than Serra v GSP I
    Not by any stretch of the imagination. An upset that big will be physically impossible because they will never have another tourney with a bunch of guys that got cut fro the ufc and give them a title shot. Dillashaw was at least a top contender. Serra wasn't even on the radar.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information