Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WSOF 9 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    He's earned the extra scrutiny and microscope for his past behaviour....and he's failed again.

When the dude has been CUT from the UFC for excessively holding submissions in numerous fights and has been officially suspended and reprimanded for holding submissions in the past, he should acknowledge that he has learned from his past mistakes and release once the blatant tap occurred. Palhares is a scumbag who hasn't learned from his previous disciplines and tonight showed me no different, he's going to cripple somebody one of these times.

Sure, it was of a lesser-degree than some of his more violent holds, but once a guy taps, and a visible tap like that one, you let go, the end result of him holding on a fraction too long is still devastating to his opponent, and the GIF shows, Yves has to break the sub.
    I lost all respect for WSOF after they signed him.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Ray Sefo Defends Rousimar Palhares’ Submission Hold at WSOF 9
    “Absolutely not,” Sefo responded to MMAWeekly.com by text message when asked if Palhares held the submission for an unreasonable amount of time. “Whoever thinks that is crazy!!”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I'm convinced Palhares has something mentally wrong with him that he is STILL holding submissions after the tap. Ridiculous what a fool.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I hope Fitch destroys him.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

I saw nothing wrong with it. He let go as soon as he could when the ref jumped in. Hell, Carl didn't even seem upset about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I saw nothing wrong with it. He let go as soon as he could when the ref jumped in. Hell, Carl didn't even seem upset about it.
    The ref had to pry his arms apart. If this was anyone else it would probably be a non issue but as someone else said Palhares earned the extra scrutiny. He should have erred on the side of caution and released the second the ref touched him or as soon as he felt the tap.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

STOP Crying.
    You don't stop punching your opponent til the ref stops you, same goes for Holds.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

You are told not to let go of a sub until the ref tells you to. Now yes it was a visible tap, would it have been nice to let go of the sub? Yes. But he followed instructions. The grip he used was the "gable grip" A very tight grip that takes a second to break. He wasn't arching his hips like he did last time he just held it. That's a HUGE difference. I've been in that sub a few times and while it still sucks even if the hold is just held, when they arch their hips into it....that's a new world of pain. Still I'd like to see him release quicker. Imagine the advantage this guy has now? If he even momentarily locks that hold, guys will tap out of fear. And honestly there are very few things you can do to stop it once he's in your guard. I'd like to see a fight between him and Askren. But I don't think "funky" Ben wants anything to do with him. Nor most of the Welterweights on the planet for that matter. Paul Harris claims another leg.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    STOP Crying.
    You don't stop punching your opponent til the ref stops you, same goes for Holds.
    .....Unless you were fired from your previous job for excessively holding subs.

Watch the GIF, Yves has to break the sub....Palhares has the submission, Carl is visibly tapping and when the ref comes in to stop it, he STILL has to pull Palhares off. The whole "fight till you're told to stop" isn't the real problem here, it's that once the ref came in, he didn't immediately release the fucking sub, despite having known. Mere moments matter here.

Palhares's history and subsequent reputation should force him to appreciate WHY he should release submissions. Why is it that nobody else seems to have this problem of continuously maintaining a hold until the ref has to pry him lose?

There's no crying here, it's simple fact. Palhares has continuously held submissions and his first fight back, where he should have looked to prove he's learned his lesson, he still held on until Yves is breaking his grip. He's a scumbag and it's dangerous and wrong.

Thread Information