Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: WSOF 9 Discussion

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    STOP Crying.
    You don't stop punching your opponent til the ref stops you, same goes for Holds.
    Except he didn't let go as soon as the ref stopped him, Yves had to literally pry his arms apart.
    My Favorite Fighters

    1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    You are told not to let go of a sub until the ref tells you to. Now yes it was a visible tap, would it have been nice to let go of the sub? Yes. But he followed instructions. The grip he used was the "gable grip" A very tight grip that takes a second to break. He wasn't arching his hips like he did last time he just held it. That's a HUGE difference. I've been in that sub a few times and while it still sucks even if the hold is just held, when they arch their hips into it....that's a new world of pain. Still I'd like to see him release quicker. Imagine the advantage this guy has now? If he even momentarily locks that hold, guys will tap out of fear. And honestly there are very few things you can do to stop it once he's in your guard. I'd like to see a fight between him and Askren. But I don't think "funky" Ben wants anything to do with him. Nor most of the Welterweights on the planet for that matter. Paul Harris claims another leg.
    Did you not see the ref have to pull him off?
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Not really.

    I hate this fucken guy but didnt see much wrong on that gif.
    Maybe its worse in realtime.

  4. #34

    Default

    Also, Moraes and Okami both looked impressive, although I really fell that Moraes could've got the stoppage if he went after it. Okami GnP was on point and it was great to see him get the finish as well.


  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    684

    Default

    For everyone whining about Palhares, 1st he DID let go within a split second of the ref touching him, and 2nd he was trained by Murilo Bustamante who was screwed over and had to tap Matt Lindland out twice because of Lindland's ghost or brazilian tap.
    Talk is cheap...because supply exceeds demand.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mulefloyd View Post
    For everyone whining about Palhares, 1st he DID let go within a split second of the ref touching him, and 2nd he was trained by Murilo Bustamante who was screwed over and had to tap Matt Lindland out twice because of Lindland's ghost or brazilian tap.
    So because a ref fuckedm over his coach it is understadnable for him to illegaly hold subs and risk seriously injuring his opponent? Did you see the Tomasz Drwal fight? He was legitimately pulling harder and harder as the ref tried to pull him off like a drunken frat boy.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Very far
    Posts
    9,493

    Default

    Once again he held that submission too much.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff


  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    684

    Default

    The Drwal and Pierce fights I thought he held on too long. I don't know what he is/was thinking. I think it's his responsibility to have a translator so that he's aware of when the ref calls it. He absolutely did that last night. The ref tells all fighters not to let go until they stop it. If every fighter had honor and didn't try to say they didn't tap ala Lindland or Chael then this wouldn't be near the problem. I haven't heard Carl say anything negative and he would know far more than any keyboard warrior.
    Talk is cheap...because supply exceeds demand.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mulefloyd View Post
    The Drwal and Pierce fights I thought he held on too long. I don't know what he is/was thinking. I think it's his responsibility to have a translator so that he's aware of when the ref calls it. He absolutely did that last night. The ref tells all fighters not to let go until they stop it. If every fighter had honor and didn't try to say they didn't tap ala Lindland or Chael then this wouldn't be near the problem. I haven't heard Carl say anything negative and he would know far more than any keyboard warrior.
    He was being physically pulled off of Drwal and he still wouldn't stop. No translator needed there.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    He was being physically pulled off of Drwal and he still wouldn't stop. No translator needed there.
    That's not what I saw. I see him easing up, and the ref grabbing his hands, and him letting go in less than a second after the ref contact. If anything, I think it looks like he's holding on a little longer, and the ref is pulling hard, because it's an jittery animated gif.

    Let's forget the ref involvement all together. Watch the gif again. Stare at the clock, using your peripheral vision to watch for the tap. From when the first tap makes contact, to him letting go, looks like a second in a half to me.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •